• Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Spirit
    • Troopers

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Euph

Fair enough. Now with that established, were you running all over the place when you played it?

Fair enough. Now with that established, were you running all over the place when you played it?

no, but I know that I can... and just for the record, I didn't say their show was easy, I just said Candide was easy..

Both arguments can go both ways. The lowest note Crown's tuba line played in 2008 was a low Bb. Some will say,"that is easy"... Others will say "that is smart writing"... It's all relative to your way of thinking. Personally, I do think that is a little easy! However, I definitely agree that it is smart writing. But let's be honest, drum corps books aren't really that hard when you are standing still. Even if you are running around playing runs all over the place and screamin' on double G's, by the end of the season it should be #### near perfect!! You've had it for three months practicing it everyday hours on end!!

Edited by idlethreats

yeah...close together like in that big long curvy line at their first impact (all major chords OF COURSE), and that big shape at the end of the barber of seville, and a company front, and those arcs in 1812...

The first impact was minor up until the last chord, it was still incredibly loud!

Sure, Crown had a difficult book. Not many corps in World Class finals didn't. But what made Crown's book so much harder, especially in the ballad, was the movement and bodywork. Bodywork increases the difficulty of a horn book exponentially, in my experience. Especially when you pull off a book like Crown did from a musical standpoint. By far the most musical corps that I heard at finals, and definitely the loudest. And for the people making the "They only play block major chords" or "It's easy to be loud when you are close together and in the front," just stop replying to this thread. There was a simple question, and it has a simple answer. Which corps was loudest. Not why they were loudest, or where they were on the field when they were loud, or what chords they were playing. Please think before you type.

Your argument makes a definite answer for a subjective question. :laugh:

2007 for instance, Cadets had one of the most powerful opening statements I've ever heard live. They were blocked up, right on the 50, hitting almost 100db. Blue Devils, however, at one point in there opener, stretched from the 10 to the 10 playing at 98db.

Two view points. It doesn't make either less loud, just extremely different.

While I have not seen the finals performance over and over (believe me its not from lack of YouTubing :smile::sad: ) I assume this year is the same for these corps.

Edited by no_itsnotadash

I only saw one DCI show live..... and from my vantage point on the 50-yard line, field level, Crown's horn line did a pretty good job of separating my face from the rest of my body. :laugh:

Fran

Your argument makes a definite answer for a subjective question. :laugh:

2007 for instance, Cadets had one of the most powerful opening statements I've ever heard live. They were blocked up, right on the 50, hitting almost 100db. Blue Devils, however, at one point in there opener, stretched from the 10 to the 10 playing at 98db.

Two view points. It doesn't make either less loud, just extremely different.

While I have not seen the finals performance over and over (believe me its not from lack of YouTubing :smile::sad: ) I assume this year is the same for these corps.

The 2007 Cadets were over 100 decibels. Brass rehearsals used a decibel meter everyday to make sure the volumes were at right levels, especially for hits.