Alumni-Type Corps Music Rep Issue

Jim is making a good point.

"Get It On" was played by a number of corps back in the time where it was popular with the masses. It is still a popular jazz band chart at many middle schools and high schools. Likewise, "Aztec Fire" (if it is the one I'm thinking of) is a popular concert band chart for the same age groups. Add those to your corps' playlist and you'll attract the attention of those kids.

To those that claim DCI is too bando. Yes, it is. But I don't care what the ensemble consists of, lousy arrangements are just that. These charts that are so abstract that you can't find the melody, need a college degree to hear the (chord) changes and are chopped up with disjointed percussion "licks" need to be removed from the minds of band directors who think just because DCI does it, it is the best.

I submit, as Ray so accurately stated, that a good tune can become a good DRUM CORPS arrangement in the hands of a skilled arranger. The Skyliners and the Cabs could both play the same tune and still sound like the Skyliners and the Cabs. On the other hand, a lousy tune....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How GREAT The Alumni type Corps Movement people are. To all. I say Thanks. BOTH those that agree with me, AND, those that don't. How nice to have a conversation in a Respectfull manor. You sure are a Great bunch.

Yes even NEW music, never done before can be done. Like I say. Just keep ity TRUE to the Original as possible. The People/Fans will let you know how Good you did or not.

Oh and bye the way I have seen the T-birds, Live in person and enjoyed the heck out of your Show. Also as I have said. Pretty much the ONLY Alumni Corps I have EVER seen that I did not like are SC Vanguard and Les Diplomats. Both had fine Quality. Just too Band for ME. (and in Les Dips case also INSULTING)

How GREAT The Alumni type Corps Movement people are. To all. I say Thanks. BOTH those that agree with me, AND, those that don't. How nice to have a conversation in a Respectfull manor. You sure are a Great bunch.

Yes even NEW music, never done before can be done. Like I say. Just keep ity TRUE to the Original as possible. The People/Fans will let you know how Good you did or not.

Oh and bye the way I have seen the T-birds, Live in person and enjoyed the heck out of your Show. Also as I have said. Pretty much the ONLY Alumni Corps I have EVER seen that I did not like are SC Vanguard and Les Diplomats. Both had fine Quality. Just too Band for ME. (and in Les Dips case also INSULTING)

I didn't see the Diplomates this year - was getting ready to go on myself. I'll see the DVD of the Alumni Spectacular in a few weeks and I'll make my own judgement call then.

In the meantime, if you didn't care for what they did or how they did it, then let them know directly. It should be easy enough to get the necessary contact information. But, as I said in an earlier post, please try to be reasonable in registering your dissatisfaction. If they hear from you and others who may feel the same way, I'd be willing to bet that they'll make some changes in their program.

But neither DCP nor any other news group is the place to have your feelings heard by the people in a position to make those changes. If you simply want to vent, then this is as good a place as any to do so, but if you want to actually bring about a change, then direct contact is always far more effective.

Andy

As a reorganization of a former DCA corps, we are (technically at least) an alumni corps.

We intended, originally, to have a fully "modern" corps, musically. But early on we were presented with interest from players who wanted something more traditional, and more accessable to drum corps alumni types.

And so, we spent a good part of the last two years trying make a home, and a version of the corps, for everyone. That meant a parade version of the corps, and traditional tunes; even some changes in the uniform to make the look less "casual". It was a real attempt to pay homage to our roots and to provide an Alumni-Corps-like experience for those who wanted that.

We made quite an effort to participate in drum corps events, and to produce a second group that looked and sounded more like a traditional corps. And we really tried to show our local base that Albany could be a player in the drum corps world.

After much effort, I've come to the conclusion that you have to be ABOUT something: one way or the other. And that'll mean that one group of players or the other won't be interested.

The attempts we made at an Alumni-style uniot really didn't attract much serious interest. So, for us, it's back to our original mission: exploring what's new and what's possible for a modern corps ensemble (music-wise)... and appealing to players interested and able to go there. It probably means going smaller, and that the door will be closed on some player opportunities that were there for awhile.

Too bad. But interest in an alumni corps in our area (at least our corps) just doesn't seem to be there. Maybe someone else will have better success next time.

Despite the non-traditional music, we still consider ourselves an alumni group: former field corps people looking to perform... but done with the field competition scene. But don't worry, you won't see us trying to perform at DCA shows. There are plenty of REAL alumni corps out there doing a great job of perserving our heritage.

Edited by brassomaniac

When we (Cabs Alumni) first started in 1994-95, our music was essentially many of the old tunes, in the old arrangements. Adjustments for the G-F horns from old G-D charts had to be made, but we set out initially to reproduce the old music. Where we coould, the old drum parts were re-created as faithfully as possible.

More recently, we have taken the approach of selecting music from the Cabs' past, but performing them with fresh new arrangements. Thus far, our fans seem to like it. the most notable example was Larry Kerchner's new arrangement of the 1960's classic 'Cachita' in 2006. It is unmistakably Hawthorne, but the new take on has been extremely popular. The same is true for the 'Samba D'Orpheus,' and 'MacArthur Park,' both from the 1970's.

And yes, we are fortunate to have a vast 'catalog' to draw from. Keeping it fresh for the members and the fans, while being true to the Caballeros' tradition is a delicate balance we try to maintain.

Alumni type Corps is all we, "old, out dated, living in the past, drunks," ETC (or what ever derogitory name we are called) have left. The NEW Band style has Taken, or is Taking, over ALL OTHER areas.

But to me it is BAND, and I am NOT into Band, Dance and the like.

So does this mean that if you have your way we won't be seeing any "old, out dated, living in the past, drunks", prancing around in sequined spandex??

Hello every body, excuse my english writting, mistake may happend) :tongue:

I'm a member of Les Dips and was on the feild at DCA Alumni spectaculor.

The Dips in is tradition was alway's different or try to be different or innovative and entertaint the public.

This year show was built from A to Z, adding some little marching choreography and visual in only 24 rehearsal (twice a month)

Since, Sir. Paul McCartney came this summer in Quebec City for the fisrt time and play in front of 375,000 peoples, outside show, one night only, celabrating our 400th city anniversary. Quebec city was found in 1608.

The Dips decided to take opportunity and do a show base on THE BEATLES MANIA like our CIRQUE DU SOLEIL show in Las Vegas.

The song we decide to play is from the 60's and th 70's.

Hello Goodbye, Lady Madonna, Michelle, When I'm sixtyfour, Penny Lane, When I love her, I wanna hold your hand and All you need is love.

I'm just sad to read that our show insulte you! (I'm responding to OldStyleCorps) You like :tongue: or not :hehe: the music we play we understand and I accept any good or bad constructive critic, but in anyway we whant insulting our american friends? I don't understand in witch way our show insult you? The music was base on Peace and Love! And the respond of the crowd was excellent. We also got a lots of compliment from other corps. Perhaps you didn't understand the production we did. It's about a women and a men that just meet and fall in love just before he was call for dutty, this time he survive and came back alive from war.

I know what I'm talking about, we also lost a lots of Canadien soldiers, my young nefew (just came back injured, but alive) just lost his best friend in Afganistan last year.

This show mean something special to me! When the DVD arrive, chek-it out and give me a review, I whant to know if we mist the boat! :rolleyes:

Write to me in private if you want more explanation

ronaldmasse@hotmail.com

Thanks for the information!! I look forward to watching your show when my DVD's come in. I, too, am curious as to why your show was considered insulting. If anything, based on OldCorps' voiced opinions, I would have guessed that our show, the Bridgemen's, would have been the one he voted as insulting to the Alumni activity. I think your show sounds very interesting so don't let one person's opinion get you down.

:rolleyes:

I have a question about alumni corps in general. I don't mean to stir up anything so please take this as just a question that some people may not think about when discussing an alumni corps.

How do you define what is suitable for an alumni corps and what would be considered as still being "current" drum corps?

Every year we have more corps members joining the ranks of being an alumni. To them the music they play is what is meaningful to their experience in the activity even if someone else does not believe it is real drum corps. My point is every former member probably feels the music they played is just as valid as music that was played decades ago since it is now part of the corps history.

I believe one of the biggest differences between today's drum corps and older drum corps is the fact the corps used to play the same music multiple years and that music became signature pieces for those corps. Today a corps seldom plays the same music more than once so there is no opportunity for a signature piece to develop. Is there a current day Bottle Dance or Danny Boy?

Just a few thoughts since someday today's music will be the stuff of alumni corps (if they are still around).

How do you define what is suitable for an alumni corps and what would be considered as still being "current" drum corps?

Dang good question IMO and it ranks right up with "How do you define an alumni corps?".

In the Thunderbirds case, they dropped the "Alumni" part and call themselves a "Drum & Bugle Corps" without a qualifier like All Age. Reason was "Alumni" hurts recruiting as people may think you have to be an alumni of the corps to be able to join. Other corps have done this or call themselves "Tribute corps" but can't remember which ones. Lancers still have "Alumni" on the webpage and corps banner but, to this non-alumni of the corps, are more like a local music group that happens to be a drum corps. IOW trying to pigeon hole into an Alumni or All-Age compartment just don't fit.

So if a corps is not called an "Alumni" corps does the music matter? And should it affect if they can participate in the DCA Alumni Spectacular?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari