Greatest DCA Corps of All Time

I wish I could find some of those down here!!

Yah if memory serves me correctly..back in the 70's we travelled to Maryland ..actuallly Cumberland....great stadium and great people...just wonderful time....but no "Blue"..actualy no beer at all what the hell..hope the rules have gotten more liberal...LOL LOL .. in reality I have nothing but great memories of Cumberland.....and a man in RCA ... I Think his name was Bill Fazenbaker who made us young canadians feel like we were important and welcome in your city and state..Great times!! :laugh:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a "pure numbers" objective perspective, this "all-time" ranking is on the money.

But from an "impact on the activity" perspective...which of course is more subjective.... I think the ranking would look different.

Fran

I'll add this to my earlier post: using either pure numbers, or "impact on the activity".... the Cabs would still top the list, IMO. They were the corps that led the activity into the "modern era" of drum corps (post-World War II)... and, with the exception of a handful of years, have been THE "corps to beat" on the way to a championship for all-age corps.

Some of the other positions in the ranking...... I'm not so sure.

Fran

in reality I have nothing but great memories of Cumberland.....and a man in RCA ... I Think his name was Bill Fazenbaker who made us young canadians feel like we were important and welcome in your city and state..Great times!! :laugh:

Wow..... Bill later was part of the crew that revived the Cumberland contest in 1989 as a DCA show. Great guy.

The "new" Cumberland show ran through the year 2000. To this day, I miss that late-July trip to Western Maryland for that show.

Fran

Kay,

The answer to your question is... absolutely. The truth is usually something people don't want to hear.

Hehe :-)

Don't respond... it isn't important. I'm not going to argue... Cabs are great, bell bottom, silk shirts, sombreros and all... Back to your regularly schedule DCA banter.

because there is a way to TRULY measure such a statement.................

well, in this era, yes you're right. However, I'd place 80 Bucs or 76 Cabs against that Brigs corps. for that time, also dominating corps loaded with talent from top to bottom

i'm just sitting here wondering why a thread about the inclusive history, not just one solitary season, is being hijacked. :laugh:

it's DCP and the offseason :smile:

You must have been using the scores out of the DCA program Dale. Same group that used two different names over the years (Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots until 72 and Westshoremen 74 after). The program just doesn't have the room for Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots.

Also I haven't checked lately but the "Diplomats" in the late 70s is the Johnsonburg Diplomats, not Les Diplomats who broke up around 1973. Not sure if that typo is still in the books.

Yeah, it could be there were some mix-ups possibly. I used fromthepressbox.com, which I think uses DCW as its source data. Those recaps weren't too discriminating as to which "Diplomats" because I never saw any "Les" in front of them, and I know that the early 70's "Diplomats" were of the "Les" variety.

As for Westshore/Bonnie Scots/Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots, again, the website didn't show them as "W-BS", which I know they were at some point.

No, I'm not going back for all the caption stuff. Go bug Christine (Brigscontrachik05) for that; she did a thread on that back in the spring on DCP. Recaps from the 70's and 80's are missing anyways.

Yes, we could start getting into the whole "consecutive years blah, blah, blah" for this, that, and the other. Someone else can do that research.

Donny: I wasn't bought and paid for in 2002. Neither were my friends who stood next to me in the snareline.

Kay: "Don't respond" wasn't a command but rather a suggestion, so be it. You didn't have to mention Cabs... it was understood. And yes, my opinion is usually pretty much the truth, whether you like it or not. Capital letters don't make you any more correct than I.

Dale et al: Yes I know this wasn't the thread for single season but I chose to interpret it that way, again, so be it. I will not in the future.

Glenn: Um... eh, whatever... you know me, and I don't need to be corrected, I just don't care for the "all-time" cumulative stuff. I wasn't talking about pride in personal accomplishments either... I was just speaking facts. Regardless of how the individuals got there, it was still, and I'll use the old IMO, the most talented collection of people in a single DCA group of (yes) all time. 98.6% of all time.

DCP faithful: no trolling here, just decided to type a post to something I read. Haven't really been on here much, so keep the "troll" comments out of it. Most everyone knows who I am anyway, and I just shoot straight... and yes, I inject a little bit of controversy. Deal. Its ok to rub people the wrong way sometimes.

Continue with your little thread... I'm done. But I've have fun :-)

Edited by Peerno

Kay: "Don't respond" wasn't a command but rather a suggestion, so be it. You didn't have to mention Cabs... it was understood. And yes, my opinion is usually pretty much the truth, whether you like it or not. Capital letters don't make you any more correct than I.

Well thanks for proving the old saying "When you make assumptions........" You really are pretty full of yourself, but you already know that I see. Thanks for being mature and contributing to this thread. I'm very pleased that my opinion of 99% of the Brigadier alumni is not nearly the same as my now opinion of you, which is usually pretty much the truth........... Have you considered posting over on RAMD - you'd fit in nicely.

Anyhow - hey Glenn - thanks for putting together the thread.........

Dale et al: Yes I know this wasn't the thread for single season but I chose to interpret it that way, again, so be it. I will not in the future.

You can interpret it how you wish, Chris. My statement was a warning for anyone starting a thread to choose their words carefully, lest someone take a thread in an unwanted direction due to interpretive differences.

Discussion is always more interesting when we can look at a subject from different angles, and oftentimes that comes from someone reading the same words differently. Many threads have gone in slightly different directions because of an unanticipated discussion begun from a creative reading or salient point that the OP didn't expect.

It's just that there's a fine line between a pleasant diversion and a hostile takeover. Which one happened here? The answers prob depend upon one's POV. Me? I'm indifferent - it could've gone in a positive way, but too many others tried to stifle it, so it turned negative.