Greatest DCA Corps of All Time

Donny: I wasn't bought and paid for in 2002. Neither were my friends who stood next to me in the snareline.

Kay: "Don't respond" wasn't a command but rather a suggestion, so be it. You didn't have to mention Cabs... it was understood. And yes, my opinion is usually pretty much the truth, whether you like it or not. Capital letters don't make you any more correct than I.

Dale et al: Yes I know this wasn't the thread for single season but I chose to interpret it that way, again, so be it. I will not in the future.

Glenn: Um... eh, whatever... you know me, and I don't need to be corrected, I just don't care for the "all-time" cumulative stuff. I wasn't talking about pride in personal accomplishments either... I was just speaking facts. Regardless of how the individuals got there, it was still, and I'll use the old IMO, the most talented collection of people in a single DCA group of (yes) all time. 98.6% of all time.

DCP faithful: no trolling here, just decided to type a post to something I read. Haven't really been on here much, so keep the "troll" comments out of it. Most everyone knows who I am anyway, and I just shoot straight... and yes, I inject a little bit of controversy. Deal. Its ok to rub people the wrong way sometimes.

Continue with your little thread... I'm done. But I've have fun :-)

the truth is subject to one's perspective Chris. It's quite obvious you don't know the history of DCA and some of the corps from earlier eras, who were, IMO, just as good in their system as 02 Brigs were. Plus, I know this won't make you happy, but I found the corps that year a tad over rated compared to 01 and 03 Brigs. In both years, Brigs had stronger competition....in 02 they didn't and that skewed the numbers.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff,

I know.. you're absolutely right. I don't disagree that were some fantastic groups in other eras of DCA. I just hate how people are still Brigs bashers/ haters because they resent what that whole time period was turned into. Money or not, it doesn't diminish talent, and that was my point.

Some people will not let that be the focus. But you know me, I am just stirring the pot.

And Dale is right, other people chose to try to stifle my commentary, in the name of whatever, instead of letting it be what it was... my opinion. But its all good... those who really know me know that I know what's up, and yea, I do know not only my DCA history, but my drum corps history. And I love drum corps for what it was, not what its become.

I honestly think 2002 was better than 2001, and 2003 was a better corps than 2002... but I taught Brigs in 2003, I marched in 2002... Stirring again:

Brigs should have won in 2003, at least High Percussion, but probably the whole thing.

Be easy people. Oh, and just to stir a little more... keep an eye out for 2009 Bushwackers. They just might be the next DCA champions. :-)

the truth is subject to one's perspective Chris. It's quite obvious you don't know the history of DCA and some of the corps from earlier eras, who were, IMO, just as good in their system as 02 Brigs were. Plus, I know this won't make you happy, but I found the corps that year a tad over rated compared to 01 and 03 Brigs. In both years, Brigs had stronger competition....in 02 they didn't and that skewed the numbers.

Chris,

I am certainly NOT a Brigs basher. What I am saying is that when the Brigs won their first DCA, it wasnt with the most talented corps in DCA history. It also STARTED the run of Brigs dominance.

I do not fault you in any of this, but you opened the door by individualizing one corps in one season. You are likely to run into people on here that may disagree with that.

Good luck with Bush!

Donny

Glenn: Um... eh, whatever... you know me, and I don't need to be corrected, I just don't care for the "all-time" cumulative stuff. I wasn't talking about pride in personal accomplishments either... I was just speaking facts. Regardless of how the individuals got there, it was still, and I'll use the old IMO, the most talented collection of people in a single DCA group of (yes) all time. 98.6% of all time.

I do know you, Chris...and I like you. This isnt personal. We're friends.

You stated your opinion. Thats fine. You have every right to do that. I'm not even saying you're wrong. Perhaps you are right.

But unless you have the rosters of every other drum corps thats ever taken the field and can conclusively prove that "man for man" the 2002 Brigadiers were more talented than any other drum corps ever, then it is NOT fact. It remains your opinion and remains open to dispute.

That doesnt mean you cant say it. You can and you should and I'll defend your right to your opinion every time.

There's nothing wrong with carrying this dialogue out further if you want to. Like I said, we're friends. We could be having this same conversation over a cooler in the parking lot after a show.

But like you said to me.....you know me, Chris. I say what I see, and this is what I saw in your posts.

Donny, Glenn: Word up! Donny, you know I love you and respect you, and Glenn... what can I say ;-)

Kay, and Everyone else... back to your topic on this thread. I don't want to steer it off course anymore. Fair enough.

Oh, but Glenn, I didn't say "man for man"... I said "pound for pound" We ATE really well at Brigs :-) Us fat arses.

Hahahha

Cooler in the parking lot... mmmmmmm, as long as you are watching the Bush drumline :-)

Jeff,

I know.. you're absolutely right. I don't disagree that were some fantastic groups in other eras of DCA. I just hate how people are still Brigs bashers/ haters because they resent what that whole time period was turned into. Money or not, it doesn't diminish talent, and that was my point.

Some people will not let that be the focus. But you know me, I am just stirring the pot.

And Dale is right, other people chose to try to stifle my commentary, in the name of whatever, instead of letting it be what it was... my opinion. But its all good... those who really know me know that I know what's up, and yea, I do know not only my DCA history, but my drum corps history. And I love drum corps for what it was, not what its become.

I honestly think 2002 was better than 2001, and 2003 was a better corps than 2002... but I taught Brigs in 2003, I marched in 2002... Stirring again:

Brigs should have won in 2003, at least High Percussion, but probably the whole thing.

Be easy people. Oh, and just to stir a little more... keep an eye out for 2009 Bushwackers. They just might be the next DCA champions. :-)

actually, the point was this was about a topic totally different than what you hijacked. and actually, if you read the guidelines of DCP, stirring the pot in this fashion actually is kinda against the rules. i'd hate it if my finger slipped and hit the report button. I don't really see it as people trying to stifle your opinion, but more keeping the thread on topic.

as for Bush, a fine corps they are with great people like Chris Killian and Bob Ciz working with them. Odds are they won't be out here talking the talk, they'll let their work speak for them on the field. And I think you and I can both speak for experience what happens when you talk too much #### online, be it here or elsewhere.

actually, the point was this was about a topic totally different than what you hijacked. and actually, if you read the guidelines of DCP, stirring the pot in this fashion actually is kinda against the rules. i'd hate it if my finger slipped and hit the report button. I don't really see it as people trying to stifle your opinion, but more keeping the thread on topic.

I didn't hijack anything. I don't waste my time reading guidelines. I'm not one for rules, really... Hit the report button. Who really cares. I was echoing Dale's sentiments on the "stifling" thing. Yes, I've conceded, stay on topic.

as for Bush, a fine corps they are with great people like Chris Killian and Bob Ciz working with them. Odds are they won't be out here talking the talk, they'll let their work speak for them on the field. And I think you and I can both speak for experience what happens when you talk too much #### online, be it here or elsewhere.

As for Bush... I wasn't talking the talk, I was being playful. I was out there marching this past season, making my actions speak louder than words. When was the last time you marched Jeff? I'm not sure what your last line means... PM if you must to clarify.

I last marched in 1996 and last taught a corps in 2001. and I know you were being playful.

as for the last line, just a warning many on here get and i too have gotten about being careful with how forceful you get with your opinions. it tends to bite one in the ###. if it hasn't for you, good, don't let it. it has for me and it can be painful

Why bother...

I was bored this afternoon. :tongue:

This is based purely upon average placement at DCA Championships (prelims & finals) throughout the years.

Minimum of 7 DCA Championship appearances. I chose that # so current corps like Corpsvets and Renegades could be included.

It didnt seem fair to include corps with less than that. For example.....Inspires and Phoenix both placed highly in their appearances but only competed 2 times each.

And off we go.....

(Rank, corps name, average placement, # of appearances)

1) Caballeros 2.89 (43)

2) Empire Statesmen 3.19 (26)

3) Bushwackers 4.30 (27)

4) Buccaneers 4.36 (44)

5) Brigadiers 5.26 (23)

6) Sunrisers 5.89 (35)

T7) Hurricanes 6.00 (44)

T7) Skyliners 6.00 (39)

9) Yankee Rebels 6.46 (13)

10) Crusaders 7.54 (41)

11) Renegades 7.86 (7)

12) Mn Brass 8.19 (27)

13) Matadors 8.25 (16)

14) Steel City 8.33 (12)

15) Westshoremen 8.80 (30)

16) Corpsvets 9.29 (7)

17) Grenadiers 9.64 (11)

18) Hamburg Kingsmen 10.13 (8)

T19)Erie Thunderbirds 10.75 (12)

T19)Pittsburgh Rockets 10.75 (8)

Anyone suprised at any of this???

Edited by rayfallon

back to the greatest of all time:

when you add up Al and VFW and DCA, how many National titles do the Cabs have? Not the state titles, but national. Has to be over 20 right? Maybe 30?