The Myths of Drum Corps

I think even the Bridgemen admits that somebody was, but likely not most.

Absolutely not ... We had a snare drummer who was a rider, and briefly a "prospect" with East Side M.C. in Bayonne, but he dropped out. Comparing East Side with the Hell's Angels is like comparing a local social club with the Mafia ... We never had anyone marching who was associated with any motorcycle club, let alone an outlaw biker club with known criminal affiliations.

Bobby Hoffman, although a great designer, was a few neurons short of a fully functioning brain on some occasions due to his excessive lifestyle. He related the comment about a Hell's Angels Member in the drum line, trying to impress some reporter who was doing a story about how the uniform came about, and the comment made it into the article. An inaccurate myth was born.

The problem is ... Those kinds of stories tend to proliferate, become exaggerated with time, and can really kill a corps' reputation.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Boo is dating Samantha Ronson.

Also, explain how BD ever won any shows in the 70's and 80's. They certainly didn't win them based on emoting.

Well, since your thread title is all about myths, I'd say this one's a whopper.

05 scouts signed a contract not to get fresh w/ Carmen.

:inlove:

Bobby Hoffman, although a great designer, was a few neurons short of a fully functioning brain on some occasions due to his excessive lifestyle. He related the comment about a Hell's Angels Member in the drum line, trying to impress some reporter who was doing a story about how the uniform came about, and the comment made it into the article. An inaccurate myth was born.

Ha! That's funny! Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Speaking on that, if you ever watch a Red Sox home game at Fenway, when a left-handed hitter steps into the box, he covers the "GL" in the background billboard for Giant Glass a lot.

I can't tell you how often I wished I had a camera on tour for just that moment. I saw it countless times in 83 and 84, before Glassmen got their new truck.

Edited by tommytimp

"We've got plenty of time before that (storm) gets over here!"

Next thing we know, in the middle of a run, our instructor starts to climb off of the scaffolding, and starts to walk briskly inside :inlove:

Also, "This is perfectly healthy for you"

I once heard that drum corps was a youth activity and not discussion foder for grumpy old men on internet forums....

Any truth behind this :tongue::inlove:

Sarcasm noted.

Drum corps is an activity for both youth and adults (some are 18+, and some are DCA). Many people in this internet forum are FMMs who care deeply about the activity and its many facets. Your comment is like saying that college football (for example) is a "youth activity."

In my opinion, DCI drum corps is beyond a mere youth activity. It's not just "all about the kids," like some children's sport where everyone gets a trophy. That's why there are so many people up in the stands -- not just the parents. DCI is much more than a youth activity.

"There is nothing inherently funny about drum corps" - A noted corps director in the '80s