The Myths of Drum Corps

MikeD wants drum corps to return to 128 members, no electric whatsoever, symmetrical drill and G bugles...and he wants corps to play their signature songs every year...with lots of Copland and Bernstein

SO What's the down side to that exactley?????

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if this qualifies as a myth or not. But back in 1983 we were cruising thru Tennessee on an interstate. A trucker going the other way got on his CB and asked, Who In The Heck Are The Knights? The driver of our drummer bus, answered back on the CB, that we were a girls basketball team.

The dude said, "Well that's the largest basketball team I have ever seen."

BD ONLY winning percussion in 07 because finals were in California...

This much is true :tongue:

I dont know if this qualifies as a myth or not. But back in 1983 we were cruising thru Tennessee on an interstate. A trucker going the other way got on his CB and asked, Who In The Heck Are The Knights? The driver of our drummer bus, answered back on the CB, that we were a girls basketball team.

The dude said, "Well that's the largest basketball team I have ever seen."

Heh...something similar happened when we were going through the Rockies on the way to Denver in 84.

Random trucker sees teh "Blue Devils" on the vehicles...misses teh D&BC part..asks "What the Hell is a Blue Devil?"

One of the other drivers responds, "We're a gay gospel group!"

THAT one got us thorugh the rest of the drive!

The most pervasive myth in drum corps....

"one more time"

The way I see it, that statement is true each and everytime it is said. It is "Last Time" that is a lie!

- Most of the Bridgemen's members in the late '70's were Hell's Angels.

- The Madison Scout's have a "naked rehearsal" run through of their show somewhere

I think even the Bridgemen admits that somebody was, but likely not most.

I had some friends in Tarheel Sun that swore they actually did do a naked ruthrough, I've not heard that about Madison. I've only gone as far as the underwear runthrough, but that's a pretty standard tradition.

Random trucker sees teh "Blue Devils" on the vehicles...misses teh D&BC part..asks "What the Hell is a Blue Devil?"

That reminds me that there is a picture floating around of the Glassmen's equipment truck with the door open and covering the "Gl"! :tongue:

You're thinking of 'N Sync. I was the body double for Justin Timberlake.

"N Sync" ???? I've heard you play and that certainly is another drum corps myth!! :wub:

Hey this is fun delivering zingers Mike's way for a change. This reminds me of a time when I missed a four-for-nothing and instructer Denny Doud goes "CAN'T YOU COUNT TO FOUR?". Mike blurts out without a beat "Give him a break it's that New Math."

:tongue:

That reminds me that there is a picture floating around of the Glassmen's equipment truck with the door open and covering the "Gl"! :tongue:

Speaking on that, if you ever watch a Red Sox home game at Fenway, when a left-handed hitter steps into the box, he covers the "GL" in the background billboard for Giant Glass a lot.