Bluecoats Percussion

BSEU

That's my point exactly. They had a good percussion program, IMO, and now-not saying these guys can't do it, just not sure it's moving forward.

For those upset with me, I am sorry that I shared my opinion out of line.

Oh yeah they did! My favortie for the past couple of years. But through no fault of their own (that I can tell), that staff has moved on. I certianly hope this group will be moving forward, but that is a lot to expect from a new staff considering the only step forward would be to win a drum trophy.

Mike has done good work with SCV, but I'm not the biggest fan of the technique they have been using. So I'm curious to see how this will play out with the Bluecoats. Tim is obviously a fantastic player (and it feels wierd that he marched back when I did yet aged out in '06) and I think he should fit in very well with the BlueQ.

Edited by Blue and Gold

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly is easy to see why some people feel an attachment to the Bluecoats percussion staff of the recent past. In just a few years, they were able to take a 10th place drumline and turn it into one competing for the drum trophy (2007). This is meant as no disrespect to Dan DeLong et al., but Mike MacIntosh et al., did some amazing things with the drumline. What most people tend to overlook is the level of performance that the front ensemble has also enjoyed.

While there have been major changes to the percussive element of the Bluecoats for 2009, one could only imagine that new design ideas will also come as a result. For those who have marched there before, this is a good thing. The 2009 staff is a wonderful mix of proven impact designers (Rarick, et al.) and professionals who have the skills, background, and championship experience to further the percussion program at the corps. Why is it that I can see a winter drumline evolving in Canton as a part of the new IN BLUE program?

Did the visual program at the Cadets fall apart when George Zingali passed away?

Did the music program at Phantom plummet when Jim Wren stopped writing the horn book?

Did the visual program at the Cavaliers crumble when Steve Brubaker passed away?

The answer to these questions is no. Each previously mentioned corps realized the importance of that element of the program, and how much of a role that person played in its development. As a result, each corps didn't overcome this challenge by trying to replace the old with a carbon copy; instead, the corps sought out professionals who would emulate certain parts of their predecessor and bring their own stamp to the corps in order to help take the corps to the next level.

I have much confidence in the new percussion staff with the corps. The new additions in the visual and color guard program are also an indication of the importance the corps has placed upon developing a championship caliber program.

The largest unknown is how Competitive Inertia plays out. To wit:

--Do the new staff members have any CI of their own? (That is, do the judges even know and/or respect them?)

If they are complete unknowns (to DCI judges), CI will not be kind to them, unless the kids perform at levels not yet seen. Imagine you're a DCI judge, and you've judged for 10 or more years. Judging is very difficult. When trying to discern "levels of excellence" between the top 3 corps (all VERY excellent!), it's "just easier" to give the number to the people you know, repsect, and have judged before. It's human nature.

It's not a flaw; it's not unfair. I'm just willing to recognize (and admit) that when asked to do the impossible (ie, discern levels of excellence between equally-qualified levels of excellence), humans will use all previous knowledge to their best advantage, just to survive. If Bloo's deemed "good enough" to be considered top 3 in percussion, THEY WILL BE 3rd, unless they are CLEARLY, WITHOUT A DOUBT, #1. (BTW, there's no shame in being 3rd.)

Lucky for Bloo, some key players in percussion are still around. Let's hope those guys have enough CI builtup to make up the difference.

It certainly is easy to see why some people feel an attachment to the Bluecoats percussion staff of the recent past. In just a few years, they were able to take a 10th place drumline and turn it into one competing for the drum trophy (2007). This is meant as no disrespect to Dan DeLong et al., but Mike MacIntosh et al., did some amazing things with the drumline. What most people tend to overlook is the level of performance that the front ensemble has also enjoyed.

While there have been major changes to the percussive element of the Bluecoats for 2009, one could only imagine that new design ideas will also come as a result. For those who have marched there before, this is a good thing. The 2009 staff is a wonderful mix of proven impact designers (Rarick, et al.) and professionals who have the skills, background, and championship experience to further the percussion program at the corps. Why is it that I can see a winter drumline evolving in Canton as a part of the new IN BLUE program?

In all fairness I'll mention that in 2003, under the instruction of Mr. DeLong and company (some of whom lasted into the McIntosh years), the Bluecoats had a 6th place drumline.

You are probably not far off in suspecting a winter drumline. Rythym In Blue was around some 10 years ago now. Maybe they will make a return.

The largest unknown is how Competitive Inertia plays out. To wit:

--Do the new staff members have any CI of their own? (That is, do the judges even know and/or respect them?)

Mike was around recently (2006-07) with Vanguard, and everybody and their mothers know Tim.

Why is it that I can see a winter drumline evolving in Canton as a part of the new IN BLUE program?

i don't see this happening, really. pretty much all the members of the bluecoats percussion section already march in indoor groups. many of whom march in rhythm x, who just won thw wgi piw championship and is located in nearby columbus.

Tim Jackson?! Bloo's tenor line is about to get very interesting. :)

i don't see this happening, really. pretty much all the members of the bluecoats percussion section already march in indoor groups. many of whom march in rhythm x, who just won thw wgi piw championship and is located in nearby columbus.

actually, the previous indoor line, rythym in blue, was made up of local non-bluecoats members so as not to conflict with the bluecoats winter rehearsal.