Guarding the Colors

As an off-shoot of Nanci's thread regarding honour guards, I was wondering what unusual types of "weapons" you may have seen guarding the colors (or colours,depending on your point of view regarding spelling...).

We are all familiar with the rifle and sabre, but have you ever seen something a bit more unusual?

I seem to recall the Appleton Americano's using coiled bull-whips....I think it was them...and how about the old senior corps out of Chicago...think it was Men Of Brass (MOB) who had the guy with the gangster suit, cigar and an old Al Capone style tommy gun?

Anyone see any other unusual items??

kilties: we use an assortment of swords.claymores,basket hilts,and traditional types.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall seeing a woman guarding the colours with a .45 pistol (or replica) shoved down the back of her pants with the upper half showing...not sure what that was about...

As to "proper" weapons, I am fairly certain that the old rule books allowed for replica rifles...I believe that they DID have to have a bolt, trigger and trigger guard and muzzle. Painted sticks won't do.

I can also recall a couple Fire Department corps (Hamilton Firefighters for one) using large chromed axes to guard the color. I thought this was fitting for a Fire Dept. corps...I do like the one about the Whalers using a harpoon though...

I like the axe one!!

Had En Garde fielded last year, we were going to ask the high school's JROTC squad to perform guard duities...they used replica M1s.

almost all fire dept. guards use axe to guard - it's tradition

Law simply states that one guard must be positioned within 3 - 30" steps and have full control of a (deadly) weapon - simulated weapons may be used.

Fulton Gauchos in the early 60's had rifles guarding but the Captain used a bull whip instead of a sabre and knew how to use it... and go figure - he was knick named BULL...

I must admit that there's one thing that does offend me, and that's when a corps uses the white-painted dummy practice rifles with no trigger or trigger guard, no bolt, and no barrel. You know the ones I mean.

Andy

I am right there with you on that one. :inlove:

I was just wondering if this is really guarding the colors. This is in my eyes, a simulated guarding of the colors we have done over the years. I understand it's not practical to use real weapons in drum corps, but are toy rifles really guarding the colors? They might be if somebody were to swing it like a 2x4. And a sabre could really be considered a real weapon if directed properly.

I was just curious about this. Anybody have any thoughts on what we call guarding the colors with props?

I don't know dude, but a wooden rifle, a saber or a flag pole for that matter wrapped around my head would scare me off :inlove:

I can remember a very famous Wisconsin DCI Corps using long spears with beautiful brass spear-heads to guard their American Flag and an Illinois corps having lances like the Knights used instead of rifles. I am not sure if they used the lances to guard the American Colors.

The corps that had the tank on the field had a guy in front of the tank carrying a rifle, not a bazooka!

Edited by dancingfrog

during the 70's rochester crusaders used shields.

yes Don, but the shield carriers had holstered pistols - shield is a protective device not a deadly weapon