Knees

i think bent knee would be the best to use... for 3 years at my high school we marched straight legged until we switched to bent... it just feels better and i move better... thats just my own thought though...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stretching at night before sleep also helps with your knees no matter what technique. i found that out going from 06 to 07, big difference. also take supplements during the summer for your knees. i tore a ligiment before not in the summer so i'm taking MSM

What? Completely disagree. Walking works with the back leg pushing off from the ankle, and that motion is echoed by a bend in the back knee, both of which create momentum. It's not a humongous knee bend, but it's definitely there. When you get rid of that knee, you not only put added stress on the knees since they aren't used to moving with bending, but you also force more momentum to come off of the ankle.

The issue is that no two people bend their knee or in general walk exactly the same, so what corps like Cavaliers and Blue Knights have done is simply define what exactly is expected of your knee. Now, Blue Knights I personally feel is a little too over compensated, defining an entire full bend and a point at the foot, but Cavaliers seem to have it down pretty well. I hear BK's switching to something much more like Cavies this year too.

The problem with Cavaliers, though, is that on the down beat they keep their weight over the back leg (I think?) rather than evenly distributed between the two.

The finalist corps where I march (which will remain anonymous) marched "straight leg" but had a "almost unnoticeable" knee bend that is completely natural.

The cavaliers land with straight leg. On the up beat, the stepping foot's toe is even with the heel of the placed foot, locked pointed straight down. (your toes is lowest, and the bottom of your foot goes up next to the other leg) Whatever knee bending resulting is what happens.

That is according to their marching technique packet.

In terms of techniques that are knee killers, the old "hip ball change" direction changes. I think the last two corps to utilize that technique were the Blue Stars and Santa Clara Vanguard; but that was some years ago. I think SCV gave it up in the early or mid '90s and the Blue Stars a few years ago.

By the same token, it was really aggressive and neat to see when done correctly.

My favorite marching technique that I marched with and enjoyed teaching the most, was the classic pendulum roll step. It's based on the basic walking step of the knee bent on the foreward stride, planting the heel, toes cranked, and rolling through the foot on the follow through. Like "walking on velcro." The backward stride had all the weight on the ball of the foot, heels off the ground about a quarter to an inch high, and all pushing off with the toes.

In terms of techniques that are knee killers, the old "hip ball change" direction changes. I think the last two corps to utilize that technique were the Blue Stars and Santa Clara Vanguard; but that was some years ago. I think SCV gave it up in the early or mid '90s and the Blue Stars a few years ago.

Didn't Madison do this, too?

If you're going to be doing extensive choreography, strengthening your core muscles is just about the best thing you can do for yourself. Of my years marching, the only time I had any knee pain was in the year we had a difficult maneuver that required a developed set of core muscles. When your core can't cut it, some other muscles are forced to take the blame, and it usually ain't pretty.

If your knees are sore at the end of the day, ice them, but for no longer than 15-20 minutes. If possible, get the knee(s) above your heart—you're aiming to restrict the blood flow.

From what I have seen, BK is going the opposite way from either their old style or the Cavaliers, unless someone is going to lead a class revolt from what I saw Mark trying with them.

What have you seen/heard? This is just what a few members have told me, and I might have heard it wrong. From what I heard, they're taking the existing BK style and mellowing out the check points so it can be clean at fast tempos. With that, I assumed Cavies', but I realize now that might not be correct....

Marching is hard on your body.

Which technique is the least killer on your knees?

This is a major concern for me, having gone through a number of knee surgeries.

I was looking at BD, but that striaght leg jazz running scares me!

and feed back? and what corps practice what style?

your in pleae when your straight leg jazz running, that is cushion for your knees, and your upper body stays lifted.

You're right, Madison did hip ball changes too; as did the Troopers. I'm just not sure when those corps abandoned those techniques. Any takers on this pondering down memory lane?

troop in 2007 abandoned that technique and switched to straight leg because Matt Hainse was visual caption head in 07 he was from 06 capital Regiment staff. Then in 2008 Nick Benson came on board. Originally he was from Seattle Cascades staff and he marched BD. So that might help you :)

Edited by Supersop08