Which Corps Are Using Synthesizers

That wasn't the point. No one has heard note one from how the DCI corps will be using them, yet there are these "normal" DCP complainers at it already. To be expected, I guess, yet to me a sad thing to see. Drum corps has never been a stagnant activity in my lifetime in adding and trying all sorts of new things, instrumentation-wise, guard-wise, visual designs, etc. I see no reason to stop now.

I agree. As long as we are at it I suppose we could design synthetic robot fans that will do the obligated golf clap for the young adults on the field? If we have fake drum corps why not a synthetic fan?

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That wasn't the point. No one has heard note one from how the DCI corps will be using them, yet there are these "normal" DCP complainers at it already. To be expected, I guess, yet to me a sad thing to see. Drum corps has never been a stagnant activity in my lifetime in adding and trying all sorts of new things, instrumentation-wise, guard-wise, visual designs, etc. I see no reason to stop now.

It's exactly the point. In theory, you could try anything and everything. In practice, you pick and choose based on prior experience. Synths and electronic keyboards have been around long enough that people can express reasonable and valid opinions about how they might work in a given setting.

I don't think ppl's opinions have anything to do with whether they are for or against innovation. That's just smoke-screen. Most people are pro-innovation. Very few want to see the same shows every year. But the way that DCI goes about it is silly. If you want to add new kinds of instruments, and, as you say, you have no idea how it will work in a particular setting, then the reasonable approach is to try it on a small scale first. If it works, then it can become a permanent rule change. But DCI does exactly they opposite. They change the rule first and then find out if it works later, after every corps has already made the investment.

If HNC want to be innovators, then let them have exhibition-only status and they can do whatever they want. If some of their ideas work, then the rest of the corps can vote to adopt them by making permanent rule changes. But why change the rules when you have no idea how it will work out?

Count me in on the money thing. I usually give around 1000.00-1500.00 to several corps. The corps that defies the use of fake electric sounds will be getting all that this year. Don't tell me your broke and then go buy the latest "allowable" toy in the DCI market. I am not buying it, and yes, it may sound good, it doesn't make it drum corps. So would guitars and sax solos etc, but not in the drum corps that my money goes to. Fake is fake. For all you contra or tuba or whatever players. You will be getting replaced in the next few years due to these wonderfull amplified pianos with all the bass inthe world. No need for you guys anymore. Ask the cymbal lines what they think of the amplified pits.......oops, there aren't enough left to ask.......

i love dcp... it is worse than politics in our gov't. Anyway, synths will be good if they are used properly, will be bad if they are used poorly. I'm sure we will see examples of both this upcoming summer. If guidry is still with the Crossmen, they have an advantage in that dept, if they choose to use synths, being that Guidry is behind the design of Ronald Reagan shows, and those shows are always great and exciting every year. They are a good BAND. I don't notice the synths replacing anything. However, i have heard many bad uses, especially in some smaller band circuits like TOB and the growing USSBA (aka George Hopkins says, "everyone wins"). I hope the drum corps designers, being "the best" in their field should create some great show designs while using synths... just like some have created great designs with voice (ala bluecoats) and just with amps altogether (ala crown, phantom). There will be good usage, and bad usage... and DCP will be in an uproar about it until they get used to it, the old cats will never stop complaining... blah blah blah... whatever. I'm rambling now...

My point: Synths are going to be good and bad, until people figure it out... and figuring it out is what drum corps is all about.

We now know that Madison is planning on using one. Someone on that thread predicted that 95% of World Class would use them this year. So, I thought we could keep a running list of who announces plans to use electronic instruments this year. Post them in this thread or PM me and I will keep a running total on this post.

1) Madison Scouts

2) Capital Regiment

3) Colts

4) Blue Stars?

5) Mandarins

Just a note....it is, at current very much up in the air as to whether Capital Regiment will be coming back as a World Class corps. They have to accomplish much and overcome some pretty substantial hurdles (membership, DCI evaluation) before they take the field in World Class competition again.

My odds are they will field, however in Open Class this year. Just a hunch.

Come on people, it all went to hell when:

DC stopped entering the field from the end zone

DC stopped exiting the field to the end zone

DC added that second tenor

DC stopped using 8 foot poles

Dc added tuned bass

DC added the valve

Dc added the rotory

DC went to GF

DC went to 2 valves......errr 3 vavles

DC went to multi key

DC stopped marching timps

DC started using the pit

DC started drumming on formica

DC started calling tour fees "tuition"

DC started charging for audition

DC stopped learning basics

DC lost control of their members at retreat

DC started using amps

I realize that since I only started watching corps in the 60's and didn't start marching until 71, I'm concidered a newbee, but as a band director who was raised in drum corps, it's never gonna be what I want it to be. I will try to keep an open mind on this addition but I reserve the right to gripe and complain as I always do if after hearing it I end up not liking it.

However, watch Hopkins not use it this year and be a hero.................

Let's face it, it's all about catering to the future audiance, the band kids, and advertising for the companies.

It's not about NEEDING anything new, in fact there's alot of crap that could be taken away from drum corps and still have a top notch show, but it's about DCI being the marching billboard for the music manufacturing companies.

So, sit back and try to put up with it because we have no choice.

It's exactly the point. In theory, you could try anything and everything. In practice, you pick and choose based on prior experience. Synths and electronic keyboards have been around long enough that people can express reasonable and valid opinions about how they might work in a given setting.

Well, we will disagree on this 100%.

I don't think ppl's opinions have anything to do with whether they are for or against innovation. That's just smoke-screen. Most people are pro-innovation. Very few want to see the same shows every year. But the way that DCI goes about it is silly. If you want to add new kinds of instruments, and, as you say, you have no idea how it will work in a particular setting, then the reasonable approach is to try it on a small scale first. If it works, then it can become a permanent rule change. But DCI does exactly they opposite. They change the rule first and then find out if it works later, after every corps has already made the investment.

If HNC want to be innovators, then let them have exhibition-only status and they can do whatever they want. If some of their ideas work, then the rest of the corps can vote to adopt them by making permanent rule changes. But why change the rules when you have no idea how it will work out?

Let the corps who want to use them do so as they wish. You really think a corps that has to go exhibition is going to attract members? IMO all of the new rules have worked...some usage by some groups more or less well than others...as in any creative endeavor, but overall they have worked just fine.

This just in! The Bluecoats and Glassmen are both up in arms about the Blue Stars show, as they both fight over who should have the rights to play the DEVO program.

For those younger folks out there in DCP land, the legandary band DEVO was from Akron, Ohio.

LOL, LOL

Nice...."Children of Sanchez" all over again.

Edited by ContraJohn

Count me in on the money thing. I usually give around 1000.00-1500.00 to several corps. The corps that defies the use of fake electric sounds will be getting all that this year. Don't tell me your broke and then go buy the latest "allowable" toy in the DCI market. I am not buying it, and yes, it may sound good, it doesn't make it drum corps. So would guitars and sax solos etc, but not in the drum corps that my money goes to. Fake is fake. For all you contra or tuba or whatever players. You will be getting replaced in the next few years due to these wonderfull amplified pianos with all the bass inthe world. No need for you guys anymore. Ask the cymbal lines what they think of the amplified pits.......oops, there aren't enough left to ask.......

I agree, I don't give as much as you but I did try to sponsor someone to march and have donated to corps each year. But not anymore. I'm done, and tired of arguing about it.

I guess the decision has been made for me on not going to finals next year...with so many corps resorting to this.

I agree, I don't give as much as you but I did try to sponsor someone to march and have donated to corps each year. But not anymore. I'm done, and tired of arguing about it.

I guess the decision has been made for me on not going to finals next year...with so many corps resorting to this.

Sorry to hear that you've come to that decision. Do you usually have good seats because I'm going to be looking for the best available seat and it's nice to start scouting now.

Edited by Iplaytimpani