Park and Blow

Scouts from 75-82 (all others get measured by this standard)

Bridgemen from 76-72 (no one had more fun)

Spirit from 77-80 (you just had to be there, once they started playing you forgot all about the follow the leader drill)

Edited by dckid80

-2000 SCV. Yes, there was lack of control at times with some stickouts in the horn line, but still an incredible moment.

-2006 Phantom at the end of the ballad. Maybe it doesn't completely qualify as a park n' blow, but glorious nonetheless.

IIRC, in 79 there was much criticism of Spirit because there was too much P&B and not enough movement. And what movement there was was variations on a company front.

1980 was better, with the Ralph Pace drill (ducks from evil eye from 27 alumni)

Yes, when they ventured west in '79 and we saw them for the first time, I think Gail called it the "drive-in drill". Described it as getting the horns as close to the front sideline as possible for maximum impact.

Drive in-BLOW-Drive Away - Repeat process. :thumbup:

'79 Spirit beat SCV three times or so on that tour. It was a landmark year for them. We were lucky to have beat them at Finals as they beat us just days before. They went berserk when that happened.

One of my favorite moments in drum corps is when motion on the field stops and the corps, using only brass and percussion, tries to push a stadium about three feet off its foundation. Any shows come to mind? Which corps have given fans the most memorable "park and blow?" (Which year?)

I like listening to the sections of various shows that are park and blow. These are generally pretty musically intense sections that sound great on CD. But, I've always been uncomfortable with feigned-arch-the-back-and-make-it-look-like-your-getting-into-it thing. I know this is shallow but I always try and pick out the person in the horn line that looks like he or she could be the worst athlete. I can always find at least one person that looks self conscious about their own inability to shake any amount of groove thing.

And I think it is utterly redonkulous when a soloist bends so far back that the chin strap on the hat actually becomes a neccesity.

For this reason, I have to pick last year's park and blow from Bluecoats. They parked. They blew. They didn't act out fake emotion. It was just b's to the wall sound. greatness.

and 2000 SCV was great too for the same reason

Edited by jplattSCV

Bridgemen 1980. All horn players need to observe the gentleman in the red whig, that is how you park and bark!

1979 and 1980 Spirit of Atlanta. NONE BETTER!!!

Well Phantom 06 Ave Maria at the end..............technically.

They parked the formation - and blew their brains out with an amazing full brass sound! So yes - park and blow there was awesome!

How about 05 Rhapsody show during American in Paris? That was one of the first times in some years I actually saw Phantom really having fun with their show! And it's only gotten better since then.