Santa Clara Vanguard Announces 2009 Show

oh @#$#!! I thought it was copland's piece

No, it was Martha's piece! :thumbup:

We'll see how it goes. Though I love SCV, I'm tired of App. Spring in general but that's not SCV's fault. I was a major Copland-head in my undergrad and grad studies, and that overdose has tainted me for a good 15 years now. Maybe a fresh field interpretation will help me get over my Copland fatigue.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, according to corpsreps it was first done by the Des Plaines Vanguard in 1968, 1969, and 1971. SCV didn't bring it to the field until 1976, so I guess it wasn't "owned" by them until that point.

And not to be a party pooper, because I love SCV and Appalachian Spring, but this was also the title of the 2004 Stephen F. Austin show, in which they played Appalachian Spring.

I'm more excited for this show than I ever was about "Clue." I just know this is going to be something really beautiful. Beauty in a drum corps show...always a plus. :thumbup:

And not to be a party pooper, because I love SCV and Appalachian Spring, but this was also the title of the 2004 Stephen F. Austin show, in which they played Appalachian Spring.

That was the first show I thought of when I heard this announcement, as well. Anyone know if there's still an SCV/SFA connection? I think their drumlines used to be pretty similar once upon a time.

Just over the weekend I popped a Copland CD into the car stereo, cranked up 'The Promise of Living', and got to thinking about the 1984 Santa Clara Vanguard.

While I don't expect anything like 1984 to fly 25 years after the fact, I do recall thinking "It sure would be nice to hear Santa Clara do some more Copland."

So......in that vein, it sure will be nice to check out a show and see what SCV has in store for us this summer.

Well, I for one am thrilled that SCV, a real trailblazer of the nonannouncement announcement where the corps claims to be making a show announcement only to release a weird unhinged title with no relevant information on show content has elected to simply inform us of their actual plans.

Well, I for one am thrilled that SCV, a real trailblazer of the nonannouncement announcement where the corps claims to be making a show announcement only to release a weird unhinged title with no relevant information on show content has elected to simply inform us of their actual plans.

What he said. (What did he say?) :thumbup: