The electronics rule proposal

Everything seems pretty clear to me. Yeah, some things are debatable, but isn't the whole rule?? And everything is defined. It is wordy, but makes sense to anyone who understands English.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The implemented rules that George has come un in his time has always managed to change DCI for the Better.

In esscence, for example, Spirits show of 2002 - Darkness into light - didnt need to be amped cause of the feirocity of the music. however in 2003 - TIME, there would have been ample ample spots for lush amplified pit. 2004 was a groundbreaking year. Gave Designers the chance to explore what they couldnt have done before cause of the sound of the Brass and Battery drowning out the pit. Amplification = Historic change for the better.

2009 = Synths, Electronics = again, adds to the design of the show. If you have a show that you need a lot of bass in and cant manage to get 16 contras on the field = genius.

Use of a famous person's voice, again = the money outlook on things unless said celebrity is a huge supporter of the arts - Heck SCV, BD and all the california corps will benefit from this due to there close connection with Hollywood. If a celebrity was approached right and explained = could lead to some pretty amazing fundraising considering Californias recent muck with Bingo.

Yamaha is having a Digital Technology Summit in Los Angeles this week. I am sure that DCI, BOA, WGI and a lot of Bands - College and HS will come out to find out what is actually being used and the ways it is being used.

if everyone is opposed to electronics, you have an opinion. if you want to change it, do what some people are doing, Start a Corps. Shoot really high and make sure that you get the chance to become part of the rule making process and propse a rule to ban it.

if you are for electronics or DCI period. go out spend a little money, Buy a ticket to a show and a program, and a few souvies from your favorite corps and help support DCI.

The progression of DCI is inevitable. DCI wouldnt be where it was today if it wasnt for the people who want to see progress or change to make it different for each single 16 - 22 year old that decides to march. it is an experience. one i can say i never got the chance to do. i can be one of the people to give it back and help a member pay their fee's or contribute to the success of that corps by making a dontation.

The implemented rules that George has come un in his time has always managed to change DCI for the Better.

In esscence, for example, Spirits show of 2002 - Darkness into light - didnt need to be amped cause of the feirocity of the music. however in 2003 - TIME, there would have been ample ample spots for lush amplified pit. 2004 was a groundbreaking year. Gave Designers the chance to explore what they couldnt have done before cause of the sound of the Brass and Battery drowning out the pit. Amplification = Historic change for the better.

2009 = Synths, Electronics = again, adds to the design of the show. If you have a show that you need a lot of bass in and cant manage to get 16 contras on the field = genius.

Use of a famous person's voice, again = the money outlook on things unless said celebrity is a huge supporter of the arts - Heck SCV, BD and all the california corps will benefit from this due to there close connection with Hollywood. If a celebrity was approached right and explained = could lead to some pretty amazing fundraising considering Californias recent muck with Bingo.

Yamaha is having a Digital Technology Summit in Los Angeles this week. I am sure that DCI, BOA, WGI and a lot of Bands - College and HS will come out to find out what is actually being used and the ways it is being used.

if everyone is opposed to electronics, you have an opinion. if you want to change it, do what some people are doing, Start a Corps. Shoot really high and make sure that you get the chance to become part of the rule making process and propse a rule to ban it.

if you are for electronics or DCI period. go out spend a little money, Buy a ticket to a show and a program, and a few souvies from your favorite corps and help support DCI.

The progression of DCI is inevitable. DCI wouldnt be where it was today if it wasnt for the people who want to see progress or change to make it different for each single 16 - 22 year old that decides to march. it is an experience. one i can say i never got the chance to do. i can be one of the people to give it back and help a member pay their fee's or contribute to the success of that corps by making a dontation.

Finally someone speaks some sense!!!!!!!!!!

:tongue: :tongue: :thumbup:

Thanks for helping to clarify the terms of the rule change. ? :tongue:

I have a question (or series of questions, really) in all seriousness:

Does having a celebrity (or otherwise professionally) recorded monologue conflict at all with the age restrictions rules? (edit: or member limits?)

Should it?

If so, would it matter whether the corps used an existing piece of work (lines from a movie, say) vs having James Earl Jones or whoever record a piece specifically for the drum corps show use?

Is this a slippery slope towards having professional musicians record solos for playback during a Junior Corps show? (I realize that may not be allowed under the current rule, I'm just talking philosophically :thumbup:)

How do high school deal with this -- can a high school have a professional (overage and/or not a registered student at the school) record a specific piece for use in a BOA sanctioned show? Can they use existing materials (movie lines, etc) from non-students?

These are honest, serious questions -- not trying to be snide or to push any particular agenda -- this thread just got me to wondering about this, that's all :tongue:

Edited by Liam

Good Point Liam.

I have a question (or series of questions, really) in all seriousness:

Does having a celebrity (or otherwise professionally) recorded monologue conflict at all with the age restrictions rules? (edit: or member limits?)

Should it?

If so, would it matter whether the corps used an existing piece of work (lines from a movie, say) vs having James Earl Jones or whoever record a piece specifically for the drum corps show use?

Is this a slippery slope towards having professional musicians record solos for playback during a Junior Corps show? (I realize that may not be allowed under the current rule, I'm just talking philosophically :thumbup:)

How do high school deal with this -- can a high school have a professional (overage and/or not a registered student at the school) record a specific piece for use in a BOA sanctioned show? Can they use existing materials (movie lines, etc) from non-students?

These are honest, serious questions -- not trying to be snide or to push any particular agenda -- this thread just got me to wondering about this, that's all :tongue:

1) If said corps utilizes a celebrity over the age of 21 even though it is a pre recorded sound. it there fore breaks the age resriction rule in the fact that ALL sounds heard on the field previously to 2009 are done by a LIVE person. with the use of electronics, they will sample stuff that people over the age of 22 have produced. Point in case it violates a rule, but with lax policy on the electronics makes it void itself out.

2) if said corps used a recorded line from a movie = the show should be based upon that movie. why else would you need it? if said corps choose to utilize getting a celeb to write and pre record narration for a show = $$$$ which would you do? point in case like luvs me some mello said earlier = Shawshank Redemption = Perfect Show!

3) yes. slippery slope to get corps to get professional artists to record for them to add to drama and intensity. Not allowed under the rule however.

4) i have heard several BOA bands use the lines from movies and such but it was spoken by Registered student of the school.

I think 2009 Drum Corps International will be the most controversial years DCI has ever seen. The electronics = which i am a supporter of, will do wonders for DCI. make shows more dramatic and add more theatrics to it. Phantom would probably take another Championship with this rule.

What if, for implementation of 2010, Hopkins proposes 175 members and increases the age limit to 24?

Finally someone speaks some sense!!!!!!!!!!

:tongue: :tongue: :thumbup:

So... the rest of us are just spitting out useless drivel?

Edited by skajerk

The rule is, in fact, not very clear. It mentions not using "sampled" sounds of winds and percussion. That would rule out using the brass and woodwind patches of many modern "keyboard" instruments, as many of them use sampled sounds to get the brass and WW patches, but it would not rule out instruments that use another method to synthesize these sounds. Someone could use an old Yamaha DX-7, for example, and you would then have the possibility of using brass and woodwind sounds that are, according to this rule, legal, as they are not sampled or sequenced.

You could use samples of a Roland TR-808, I'm assuming, as those are synthesized and not real percussion sounds, but not a real 808, because you would have to sequence that device. Yikes!

I'm actually glad the OP brought this subject out, because I think it give all of us a chance to see what a real mess they've created. I can't believe this rule passed, just based on how incredibly baldly it was written.

Edited by monoemono

I have tried to keep my mind open... but just hearing all this debate... I can't hold this in anymore. Combined with a recent point that a friend brought up to me in my real life where I can use my REAL name...

I love progress, if it is truly for the better. I don't see how the benefits outweigh the costs here. There are definitely good things to be said for expanding options, but there is definitely a point where the essence of what makes drum corps drum corps goes away. If we want to start a professional level BOA league, that is great. I would be interested, but don't create one by destroying Drum Corps.

Drum Corps, at the point that there are no differences from something like BOA except in terms of schedule, dedication, and performance level, is drum corps only in name. I think that the definining characteristic of drum corps can be found in the title: Drum and Bugle Corps. granted, you can't take that literally, but once the group is not just brass and percussion (and guard, but this is all musically speaking, making guard irrelevant since they make no music) it is no longer drum and bugle corps.

There are definitely still ways(even with the new synth/electronic instrument rule) that drum corps can remain drum corps- but really, do we need another 'color'? Has anyone ever said "Man, I love drum corps, but what we really need to do is get a new sound... I'm tired of all this brass and percussion... Let's get some frickin' SYNTHESIZERS!"

I know that comes off as angry, and honestly, it was, but do you get my point? It seems that everyone is 'interested' in the new directions only AFTER a select few have decided it is the proper one.

a recent quote from Heroes comes to mind:

"In every journey the traveller must ask: What's the right path taken? Many roads are long and winding. Filled with those who have lost their way. Some, forge their own course guided by faith...Seeking not a location, but a kindred soul. Others, step together finding safety in the arms of another. A few, remove themselves from the trail to avoid the path of temptation. But those who watch trail too closely, fail to see where it led them. They are often all too surprised of their destination."

along with a line from the movie "Stand and Deliver":

"All you see is the turn. You don't see the road ahead"

I feel like the higher-ups of DCI fall into the last category of the first quote, and the second applies directly. I think they look at a rule change, and for the most part say "will this open up more options" and not "will this irreversably change the activity? In thirty years, will the activity still be identifiable and thriving?"

And, finally, I can't see that adding new features draws in enough "new fans" to make up for the ones that are lost in making these rule changes.

On the one hand, I am pretty sure that this year will not be the appocalypse that it is being made out to be. On the other, I am also sure that if this trend continues, we will look up one day and find ourselves not in truly a 'drum corps' activity, but something completely new and different.

Edit: and I think we need to make sure this "new" place we will be is one we are interested in living in.

Edited by Drum Korps Fan Man