The electronics rule proposal

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you give this tie-in to drum corps for advertising far more weight than it deserves. I don't know of any director who would ust go out and buy something because X-corps played on it. They try out instruments to see which ones they like...they have a contract with a supplier in place...they price shop...they put large purchases out to bid, as required in many cases....they look to the private teachers they deal with for input...an add in a magazine is not going to have much of an impact.

Um, I think they have some impact. Major manufacturers wouldn't spend 80 gazillion dollars on such ads if they didn't.

I don't know..but I would hope so. :smile:

And are the sounds of the Glass Harp far behind? String pads?

Someone who I admire in these discussions recently changed his sig to

"Drum Corps - even Yanni can do it"

Now that's prescience!

Puppet

. . .still, though, that does show that the precedent is there between corps and band to re-sell items, especially with so much staff crossover.

I am still trying to figure out how the selling of used horns from a corps to a band...no matter the staff tie-in...is tied into manufacturer marketing campaigns, as was asserted earlier.

I'm falling into the camp of "Why call it "Drum & Bugle Corp". Stop pretending. Maybe there is no market for old school dbc. That's fine - just call it something else. Something like... Sensory Stimulus International.

As one posted - Age, Time limit, number of members. Anything else is allowed. Actually they should just have a time limit only.

Raise up huge video panels on the field -

Fire all the judges, just wire up the audience - the performing unit that creates the highest measured audience reaction to stimulus wins.

I think the main reason many of us have such a problem with these new rules, is the fact that they are changing drum corps is a way that will very soon make it indistinguishable from marching band. I agree that drum corps is a type of a marching band. But to many of us, there was always something that made drum corps different, and in our minds better than marching band, and some of that was the instrumentation, and therefore the sound. When drum corps adopts the "anything goes" instrumentation that marching bands use, that distinction will be gone. You will hear a recording and wonder "is that a really good marching band, or a drum corps?" and you won't be able to tell which it is because there will be no difference between the two.

Say what? I said nothing of the sort.

you didnt have to. it's been said on here before.

Personally, I seriously doubt that. They'll sell more synths this year to high schoolers named Keith than to all the drum corps that exist.

exactly. John Doe HS sees the DCI champs using synths and says " i need them".

how many lines at the HS level started using Yamaha and Dynasty once they saw top corps use them?

tons.

I think you give this tie-in to drum corps for advertising far more weight than it deserves. I don't know of any director who would ust go out and buy something because X-corps played on it. They try out instruments to see which ones they like...they have a contract with a supplier in place...they price shop...they put large purchases out to bid, as required in many cases....they look to the private teachers they deal with for input...an add in a magazine is not going to have much of an impact.

um, there are tons that do it Mike. tons.

I really feel like people well over-exaggerate how drum corps is turning into marching band and is barely distinguishable.. I mean the two activities have always been paired up with each other. Marching has evolved with drum corps for the most part. Asking what marching band was like back in the day, I hear it was modeled a lot of of drum corps. Yeah the marching band enviroment allowed for some more changes and additions, but they have always been the same thing.

However, what separates the two mainly is the use of brass without woodwinds and the excellence level of drum corps. Also it is mainly a summer activity where a lot more travel/touring is involved. Yeah back in the beginning it was literally Drum and Bugle Corps... but just imagine if it still existed that way today. IMO it wouldn't. All you old cats wish it were still that way...well if it were still that time period it would be. But everything changes over time. Things evolve.. it is the human way. Yeah we are getting into some philosophy crap, but whatever.

Just let the activity evolve. It is supposed to. Just imagine if people still didn't have equal rights. Look at places that don't have equal rights. Imagine DRUM AND BUGLE corps in todays world. I can't picture it. Maybe it would help if I was there, but it would make no sense. Let the activity grow up. Let it change. As I sound like the Obama campaign...

One side note... the day I see a woodwind instrument on the field with a corps, I will freak out. That probably contradicts my whole post, but that is one thing I will NEVER go with. It is honestly one of the main things that separates marching band and DBC (not the only thing). IMO woodwinds is just too far. I know I'm all about evolution, but there is a line for me, and that would be it.