Option or Necessity

We have heard stories from time to time, and I have believed that most, if not all of the options brought forth in DCI are actually "mandated" if one wants to win. I am looking for specific instances when judges have told corps that they should or must adopt an "optional" change in order to score higher. I have heard stories about corps being told the need to switch to Bbs, corps needing to amp their pits and corps needing to use different drum heads. I would like to see if these are isolated incidents or a trend.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it's more hazy then that. I've heard rumor of the types of instances you've mentioned, but never more. I've also personally heard judges complaining about the latest rules (electronics mostly). This leads me to believe that the rumors are most likely just excuses most of the time. But who knows? Just takes one rouge, outspoken judge.

I believe it's more hazy then that. I've heard rumor of the types of instances you've mentioned, but never more. I've also personally heard judges complaining about the latest rules (electronics mostly). This leads me to believe that the rumors are most likely just excuses most of the time. But who knows? Just takes one rouge, outspoken judge.

And that is precisely my question. Is this just a couple of bad judges, or is their a pattern beginning to show up here? I have heard of at least 3-4 instances of judges telling corps to keep up or suffer.

I think that in a manner, corps will eventually have to adapt and change (i.e.-pit amps, etc.)

However, having some things constant allows a corps to develop an identity or sense of tradition.

It's a very fine line that is constantly being towed in each direction from opposing corps and judges

Edited by snax08

I think a judge would be correct if they told a corps that they could score higher if they switched to B flat horns. It helps with intonation. A judge would also be correct if they told a corps that they could score higher with an amped pit as the players would be playing with better technique. I also think a judge would be correct if they told a corps that they could score higher with a full tour as more performances equal a higher comfort level with the performers and more time to tweak the details based on audience reaction and judges feedback.

I don't think a judge would promise a higher score, however they are simply offering suggestions that will improve the overall product.

I think a judge would be correct if they told a corps that they could score higher if they switched to B flat horns. It helps with intonation. A judge would also be correct if they told a corps that they could score higher with an amped pit as the players would be playing with better technique. I also think a judge would be correct if they told a corps that they could score higher with a full tour as more performances equal a higher comfort level with the performers and more time to tweak the details based on audience reaction and judges feedback.

I don't think a judge would promise a higher score, however they are simply offering suggestions that will improve the overall product.

I have no idea why you would think playing Bb/F Horns would make a difference in regard to tuning. Tuning is tuning. There are multiple keys of Trumpets that are used...you cannot tell me they cannot be tuned. They will sound unique THUS the reason to use them but they can be played in tune.

What is proper technique on a field based marimba that isn't amped? The last few shows that I sat in the pit was amped so loud as to be annoying at best and overpowering at worst. The finger cymbals sounded like a gong...yet they weren't penalized for the finger cymbals being played too loud..wierd. When pits weren't amped they actually sounded better IMHO.

I agree with more touring so they may adjust their shows and add or fix things in them.

I have no idea why you would think playing Bb/F Horns would make a difference in regard to tuning. Tuning is tuning. There are multiple keys of Trumpets that are used...you cannot tell me they cannot be tuned. They will sound unique THUS the reason to use them but they can be played in tune.

Different keys in different horns lead to different tuning tendencies. We can argue all day on which has more manageable tuning tendencies for this activity, but to say there is no difference at all is beyond me.

Prior to amped pits many keyboard percussion players used a technique similiar to "pounding" on the instruments using full arm strokes instead of proper wrist technique. My college percussion instructor urged me not to perform with drum corps in the early nineties because he said it would ruin my technique. I marched anyway, just in a different section.

Amplification of the pit is probably the best change in DCI in a long time. And it can be used to raise a score. Not only does it allow proper tech., it allows balancing of the pit. (if used properly) Many corps, especially top ones have been doing this very effectively. Crown did an amazing job in their ballad from 07 I believe? If you have the DVDs listen to the GE Music judges' commentary for Crown, he actually makes a comment regarding amplification, and I agree with him 100%. I would say now that pit amplification is being used the right way, and effectively, a judge has the right to suggest it.