Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts

I would have to agree. If they were started again cap sound would have no chance at all. The Americanos at this point are selling off everything, with no real big plans to restart again unless a bunch of people want to go in and take it over. IF the americanos come back they will back with one condition most of there kids will be from the fox valley area. I say cap sound should be worked with. why start another corps when there is a perfectly good one in the area.

Cap Sound is inactive with no intentions of becoming active any time soon. Their board has already given verbal permission for MJS to use their horns.

Sound like the actions of someone slapped in the face?

Don't forget, Capital Sound was a merger of the Capitalaires and the Junior Scouts under the Scouts umbrella. It's all in the family.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madison wisconsin is NOT California. There is limited members available. As far as "bemoaning" the loss of corps, I DO. I see trying to start another open class corps in an area that has one open class corps sitting out two years, as a slap in the face. The death blow, so to say. Now if you are talking about turing the jr. Scouts into an all age corps with feeder capability, then go for it. My eleventy bajillion dollar cost is close to right. So all you need is, a director$$, staff$$, uniforms$$ horns$$$$ drums$$ keyboards$$ mics$$ amps$$ mixer$$ SYNTHESIZER$$$cook truck$$$ staff vehicles$$$........members.....volunteers.... seeing a defunct corps comeback, priceless!!!!, seeing another corps keep an existing corps from returning????? If it can be done, GREAT.

Since Cap Sound has given its blessing, who gives a bleep what you think.

We are talking about a parade and standstill corps for now. No touring. No competing. If Cap Sound wants to make a go of it, they get their equipment back. They just say the word. We have a potential director, a couple possible instructors, volunteers, won't be using amps, mixers or synthesizers. From my understanding we have horns, uniforms and probably drums. We don't need vehicles as we will be local and kids will show up at the show/parade sites. So EVERYTHING you moan about is a non factor. In the mean time, while you moan about and harrass those who are trying to do something, what are you doing?

no offense but this statement (and those with similar attitudes) is part of the reason why support for Open Class suffers, and thus some of those same corps struggle. just because C-A-pital Sound and Southwind were inactive last year (yes i know Cap Sound is inactive for '09 as well) does not mean they are permanently inactive.

Again, Cap Sound is letting us use their horns. They get them back if they need them. So if Cap Sound is OK with this, why is it such a problem for you?

Since Cap Sound has given its blessing, who gives a bleep what you think.

We are talking about a parade and standstill corps for now. No touring. No competing. If Cap Sound wants to make a go of it, they get their equipment back. They just say the word. We have a potential director, a couple possible instructors, volunteers, won't be using amps, mixers or synthesizers. From my understanding we have horns, uniforms and probably drums. We don't need vehicles as we will be local and kids will show up at the show/parade sites. So EVERYTHING you moan about is a non factor. In the mean time, while you moan about and harrass those who are trying to do something, what are you doing?

The title of your thread is "Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts. What's needed to make it happen?"

He and I are simply relpying to what is needed to make the dream a reality. You guys have not exactly been clear as to what your intentions are with the group. I can barely understand what Jason is saying half the time and you seem to think the world is out to get you all the time.

Lighten up and stop being such a bitter betty. People are just offering up ideas.

Is mentioning the name Scott Stewart some how a bad thing? You seem to go out of your way to not mention his name. Regardless of where one falls in their opinions of his past leadership direction, the results of his tenure speak for themselves for each one of those Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association corps. Things have been far from the same since then, so with history behind us now, (IMO) at least give open credit where credit is due.

Anyway... I am in complete support of any effort to get kids playing and marching. Obviously, your ideas in this format fall far short of a detailed and realistic business plan for this proposed group, but I don't know how anyone could expect you to present a formal proposal within this thread. However, your enthusiasm is appreciated.

I think it only fair that you at least acknowledge that the breakup of the Madison Drum & Bugle Corps Association (Scouts, Cap Sound, Southwind) understandably left a bad taste in the mouths of many. All three have separately struggled to stay alive since then, with at least one (Cap Sound) still trying to make a go of it. To say this proposed group would have no affect on that organization, and somehow see it as a "win" for them is seemingly insensitive in the least, or maybe it simply shows a lack of understanding of their struggles on your part. Nonetheless, I really wish you the best of luck and success.

We are not ready to present a business plan at this time. We are working towards that, and we could use some help. We are not trying to put a final nail in Cap Sound's coffin and Cap Sound knows it. In fact, they are willing to help. Perhaps there are those (the ones who count) who are willing to let sleeping dogs lie while others on the outside are stirring up issues that are considered in the past. If Cap Sound wants to come back, I'll be the first person cheering them on. Until then, their support for this potential project is 100% appreciated.

Assuming that you're talking about a cadet corps, it would probably have to be all-male unless you get the Scouts to change their policy, otherwise there's really no point in it. Girls aren't going to put the work into a cadet corps if they know they can't climb any higher in the organization.

My understanding is that the Scouts BOD is OK with a coed Junior Corps.

The title of your thread is "Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts. What's needed to make it happen?"

He and I are simply relpying to what is needed to make the dream a reality. You guys have not exactly been clear as to what your intentions are with the group. I can barely understand what Jason is saying half the time and you seem to think the world is out to get you all the time.

Lighten up and stop being such a bitter betty. People are just offering up ideas.

I guess when people say that we are slapping others in the face when they don't know any better and people telling us that we can't do it or we don't have the resources when they don't know any better isn't what I call constructive ideas, just criticism. Have any constructive comments that might help us?

Where do I say I am afraid that the world is out to get me? No one is out to get me. You sound like the bitter one to me as every time Jason or I try to point out what we are doing and what we do have, you shoot it down and criticize our ideas and how we write. We want ideas. Constructive ideas. So, instead of criticizing, why don't you offer ideas on how to get around the challenges we face?

I guess when people say that we are slapping others in the face when they don't know any better and people telling us that we can't do it or we don't have the resources when they don't know any better isn't what I call constructive ideas, just criticism. Have any constructive comments that might help us?

Where do I say I am afraid that the world is out to get me? No one is out to get me. You sound like the bitter one to me as every time Jason or I try to point out what we are doing and what we do have, you shoot it down and criticize our ideas and how we write. We want ideas. Constructive ideas. So, instead of criticizing, why don't you offer ideas on how to get around the challenges we face?

Read one of my previous posts on this matter. I offered up some pretty concrete numbers as far as instruments, uniforms and the like. Just trying to help or at the very least, put some things you may not have realized in perspective.

The rest of us still pretty much have no idea what you and Jason are trying to accomplish. Feeder corps? All-age? Co-ed? Alumni? Need instruments? Unis? Staff? Tunes?

I'd say the biggest challenge you guys face is the simple act of sitting down at a computer and forming a coherent thought others can read and understand. Most of your ideas are incoherent rambling. A trainwreck of thought that takes the reader a few times through to figure out what in the hell your talking about.

Read one of my previous posts on this matter. I offered up some pretty concrete numbers as far as instruments, uniforms and the like. Just trying to help or at the very least, put some things you may not have realized in perspective.

The rest of us still pretty much have no idea what you and Jason are trying to accomplish. Feeder corps? All-age? Co-ed? Alumni? Need instruments? Unis? Staff? Tunes?

I'd say the biggest challenge you guys face is the simple act of sitting down at a computer and forming a coherent thought others can read and understand. Most of your ideas are incoherent rambling. A trainwreck of thought that takes the reader a few times through to figure out what in the hell your talking about.

All right, I'll explain again.

We are working on restarting the Madison Junior Scouts. It will be co-ed. It will be a parade and stand still corps, at least to start. We have discussed the possibility of having alums play, but nothing is set in stone. If kids use the experience to go on to the Scouts, great. If we can make some money to help the Scouts, great. At least verbally, we have horns, uniforms and possibly drums already lined up. It's a pretty good start for an idea that is barely past the fantasy stage and has had one meeting.

Coherent enough for you?

All right, I'll explain again.

We are working on restarting the Madison Junior Scouts. It will be co-ed. It will be a parade and stand still corps, at least to start. We have discussed the possibility of having alums play, but nothing is set in stone. If kids use the experience to go on to the Scouts, great. If we can make some money to help the Scouts, great. At least verbally, we have horns, uniforms and possibly drums already lined up. It's a pretty good start for an idea that is barely past the fantasy stage and has had one meeting.

Coherent enough for you?

Yes. Quite.

Do you have any ideas yet regarding female members that want to go onto the next level? Because obviously they can't go onto be Scouts when they "grow up." Maybe work a co-op situation with another nearby corps. Blue Stars come to mind...