Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts

I would have to imagine they are.

Considering the number of corps over the years from the northern part of the Mid-West I'd guess so too but just checking. IIRC, Pacific Northwest and parts of the South have parades that do not pay which might explain historical small number of corps on those areas. (Yes there are some folks, but nothing like NE and MidWest numbers.) In the NE the parade $$$$ are a God-send to the budgets of competing and non-competing corps. IMO, that's why long time Alumni-type corps are so concentrated in the NE.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eleventy bajillion......did you EVER hear of the term, SARCASM. My thoughts of the Scouts HAVE now been tainted. See you are trying to represent them, I will have no part of that. And yes, I really was planning on it. Your brothers can thank you. If that makes me small so be it, it also makes for an intelligent decision. See if Jason would have said in the first opening statement that the plans are a small parade corps, I probably would have had my son try out, and I would have volunteered money and time. Then you piped up and acted like a little kid who had his lollipop drop on the ground. Nice representation. Oh yeah, HEY MODS, isn't this an OPEN CLASS discussion going on in WORLD threads? Last but not least, you seem really worried about my Cap Sound comments, so I am assuming that it strikes a nervous part of you. Yoiu WANT everyone to know that Cap Sound is ok with it, but yet, I think yor mind was made up before that and you didn't care in the least what it would do to them.

I started this thread, not Jason. In the very first post I state,

starting a parade corps.
. Did you miss that or ignore it?

Since one of the goals is to help out the Madison Scouts, a world class corps, then being in this forum is appropriate. You must have missed or ignored that fact too, huh. In fact, since MJS will start out as a parade corps, not an open class corps, it would not belong in the Open Class Forum.

As far as Cap Sound is concerned, others brought up an issue that may or may not exist. One I had not even personally considered. Since contact had already been made with the Cap Sound BoD, and they were willing to help us, there was no problem. I relayed that information to those, like you, who were concerned. I do care, very much what happens with Cap Sound. I have known members and instructors with them. I'd love to see them out there next summer. But that's not going to happen, and in the mean time, they want to help this project. So, what's the big deal?

You don't want to help any corps in Madison, that's fine. Go help Pioneer, or Blue Stars or who ever. Or, are you going to hold a grudge against everyone in all of drum corps because you don't like me and I am a representative of drum corps?

Which opening statement? OP here is David quoting Jason and reading between the lines, doesn't sound like Jason/thirdcoast knew what was going on with MJS. So how could he say anything about the parade corps, which BTW the parade corps info didn't show up until last night.....

And the Parde corps post I'm talking about is the actual planning David/27th... posted about, not Jasons/third.. "pipe dreams" from the first page.

#### most corps start or reform starting with "pipe dreams" so who knows.....

Actually, I do mention the parade corps in my first post. However, Jason is the one who approached the Board with this idea and has made several contacts. It was his idea to start out as a parade/stand still corps. And we are only a little past the dream stage at this point.

Actually, I do mention the parade corps in my first post. However, Jason is the one who approached the Board with this idea and has made several contacts. It was his idea to start out as a parade/stand still corps. And we are only a little past the dream stage at this point.

Yeah, just re-read and saw it there. Either I missed it or it didn't stick in my memory as it didn't appear to be past the "couple of people talking" stage. Once the board got involved, even if just being asked for approval, it got my attention.

Got my interest once I did notice it for a lot of different reasons. #1 is great way to introduce corps to younger people who can't do competing/touring at the present time. Also that's how Westshoremen got back on the field after being disbanded in '84. Few people started a parade corps to raise money and ended up back on the field. And of course parade/stand-still describes most of the Alumni type corps.

Again good luck, ya never know how this might go. Once you find the equipment to start off that's usually the biggest $$$$ hurdle. Some sort of cheap generic uni would take care of the #2 expense (remembering Rochester Phoenix Sr corps with their JC Penney work outfit unis).

Light some incense and put on your favorite pan-flute cd, go up to tha square and have a lovely Crop Circle Wheat, go for run...do whatever it is you have to do but for cripes sake...everybody...take it down a notch.

Sheesh!

I started this thread, not Jason. In the very first post I state,. Did you miss that or ignore it?

Since one of the goals is to help out the Madison Scouts, a world class corps, then being in this forum is appropriate. You must have missed or ignored that fact too, huh. In fact, since MJS will start out as a parade corps, not an open class corps, it would not belong in the Open Class Forum.

As far as Cap Sound is concerned, others brought up an issue that may or may not exist. One I had not even personally considered. Since contact had already been made with the Cap Sound BoD, and they were willing to help us, there was no problem. I relayed that information to those, like you, who were concerned. I do care, very much what happens with Cap Sound. I have known members and instructors with them. I'd love to see them out there next summer. But that's not going to happen, and in the mean time, they want to help this project. So, what's the big deal?

You don't want to help any corps in Madison, that's fine. Go help Pioneer, or Blue Stars or who ever. Or, are you going to hold a grudge against everyone in all of drum corps because you don't like me and I am a representative of drum corps?

Yes, I missed the parade corps thingy in the rambling message that was presented. If you want to be taken seriously as a representative of your corps, act PROFFESSIONAL. I would have thought you would have been taught how to be humble when dealing with blathering idiots like myself. Instead, you, who want to be a REPRESENTATIVE of the Madison Scouts organization, come on here trying to belittle ANY conversation that isn't in your favor. I won't hold any grudge against any corps, but I will see what kind of representation the corps has and base my judgement on that. Good luck on your efforts and God be with the kids you represent.......oh yeah, I guess we can now post about the Colt Cadets, Blue Devil B and C, and SCVC here in the world forum, since they help world corps......

Edited by 84skyrydr

Yes, I missed the parade corps thingy in the rambling message that was presented. If you want to be taken seriously as a representative of your corps, act PROFFESSIONAL. I would have thought you would have been taught how to be humble when dealing with blathering idiots like myself. Instead, you, who want to be a REPRESENTATIVE of the Madison Scouts organization, come on here trying to belittle ANY conversation that isn't in your favor. I won't hold any grudge against any corps, but I will see what kind of representation the corps has and base my judgement on that. Good luck on your efforts and God be with the kids you represent.......oh yeah, I guess we can now post about the Colt Cadets, Blue Devil B and C, and SCVC here in the world forum, since they help world corps......

Just let it go, man.

I've tried to offer my input and help and gotten the same treatment.

At this point it's best just to sit back and go "MADISON SCOUTS IS DA ROXZORS. THEY PLAES DE DURM CORPZ BETER THANZ ALL YOUZZ. ANYONE HOO SEZ UTHERWIZ IZ DE SUXZORS!"

Certain Madison Alums, a very small percentage of them, don't handle dissenting opinions very well. The majority of Madison Alums are some of the finest humans I've ever known. I was instructed by and taught with a good number of them and they're all cool as hell. Mike Loeffelholz, Mark Palise, Dann Petersen, Kevin Kauzlarich, Chris and Steve Morrisette, Pat and TR Fitzgibbon, Steve Boulka, Tony Rother, ChickenHawk, Mike "Ivan" Burke... etc, etc. I could go on. Madison Alums for the most part are fine human beings.

There are apparently exceptions to every rule.

Just let it go, man.

I've tried to offer my input and help and gotten the same treatment.

At this point it's best just to sit back and go "MADISON SCOUTS IS DA ROXZORS. THEY PLAES DE DURM CORPZ BETER THANZ ALL YOUZZ. ANYONE HOO SEZ UTHERWIZ IZ DE SUXZORS!"

Certain Madison Alums, a very small percentage of them, don't handle dissenting opinions very well. The majority of Madison Alums are some of the finest humans I've ever known. I was instructed by and taught with a good number of them and they're all cool as hell. Mike Loeffelholz, Mark Palise, Dann Petersen, Kevin Kauzlarich, Chris and Steve Morrisette, Pat and TR Fitzgibbon, Steve Boulka, Tony Rother, ChickenHawk, Mike "Ivan" Burke... etc, etc. I could go on. Madison Alums for the most part are fine human beings.

There are apparently exceptions to every rule.

I can handle dissenting opinions just fine. It bothers me when the facts get ignored and all we get is sarcasm and criticism. To your benefit, you reset and offered some ideas of value. But your first comments were not about how to help the project, only to criticize someone's writing. How does that help us? He's not a great writer. Neither is George Hopkins. But what's more important, the writing on a discussion board, or making things possible for kids?

I have received a couple of messages from people associated with Capital Sound expressing their concern about trying to come back with MJS being active. Potentially, it could create competition for membership. Although we have kicked around the idea of inviting alums to play, the target group we have discussed is middle school aged kids. It seems to me (I may be wrong) that Cap Sound's membership is typically older than that. That being the case, we could be potentially feeding Cap Sound as well as the Scouts. I will say publicly, on this forum, that we never deliberately set out to disrespect or kill off Capital Sound. If this project ever takes that turn, I will leave it. I want to see the activity grow and prosper. I invite Cap Sound people to PM me with their thoughts. I promise to respond respectfully and to bring them up at our meetings.