DVDs are Imminent

that's funny, how? :tongue:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already saw the DVDs and they are really horrible this year. All kinds of video tears and the audio is so low you can't hear anything but the pits.

No, no, you're thinking of this year's DCA dvds...

did they show the Cavies '06 "Machine" entrance? that would be an indicator since it wasn't "part" of the show, but was in the same way as Phantom...that being said, i really hope they do put it in.

btw: got my email too, yay!!

*sigh* no, Cavi's '06 field entrance is not on the DVD.... Still, there's hope. As others have said, the entrance is important to the storyline the show tells. But a debate is: where do you start? How much of it do you show? From a video I saw, Phantom started the field entrance (with a bugle call) while Cavis were still leaving the field. (basically, how much of "Iowa" do you want included with Phantom's entrance?)

Oh, and what about the Blue Stars' chorale they played in the end zone pre-show?

WOO HOO! I can hardly wait!! I sure hope they include the Blue Stars warm-up music "and" the entrance of Phantom's drum majors. Question: do they ever show the announcement of the winners?

They did in '06. Wouldn't know about other years.

I'm guessing there will not be room for Phantom's or Blue Stars' warm ups on the DCI DVDs. Perhaps they'll show a series of brief shots of it. Let's hope Phantom's entire warm up at least makes their On The Road DVD release. That's more likely. It certainly would help sell it. Missing out on the setups and warmups is one of the things I like least about the current DCI DVD format, compared to the old PBS VHS format, but setups and warmups are something DCI would have room to add in if and when they step up to BluRay DVDs. There will be room for lots more extras on BluRay.

In recent years, yes, DCI has included the score announcements as an extra feature on their finals DVDs. However, you probably will not get to see the "dead" Phantom drum major resurrected for the Spirit of Disney award on DCI's DVDs, because DCI hasn't shown SoD or caption award presentations on the DVDs, though they have been taping them. You might see the "dead" drum major lying on the sideline in an establishing shot before finale begins. The years they've shown scores, they've cut it down to a bare minimum, about five minutes long feature, just basically showing each place announcement, the drum major salute, and a corps reaction shot or two. It's very heavily edited, by more than 50%, I think. Again, capacity has been what's constrained how much they showed. There's been very little room for features.

It is possible there will not be room for score announcements at all this year because of the switch to anamorphic widescreen.

Question: do they ever show the announcement of the winners?

-From the .org

2 DVD set

Anamorphic widescreen format enhanced for 16:9 televisions

High-camera and multi-camera presentations

Dolby Digital 5.1 surround audio

Featuring: Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, The Cavaliers, Carolina Crown, The Cadets, Bluecoats, Santa Clara Vanguard, Blue Stars, Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders, Glassmen, Madison Scouts

Bonus: Announcement of scores and awards ceremony presentation