• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your added enjoyment:

Inside the Blue Devils 2008 DVD

Right of Passage Blue Devils Lot DVD

Santa Clara Vanguard 2008 Tour DVD

Phantom Regiment - On the Road 2008 DVD

On the Lot - The Show before the Show lot DVD

Some are on sale now and the rest will be released before Christmas.

-John Christensen

'

Oh, good. More DVDs to add to my Amazon universal wish list. :tongue:

After watching DVDs ,I am very disappointed. ( I gave it a C but, now D)The corps are great. But, I really miss the extras. One excellent part! The drum judge that got caught in the Cadets drill at the end of their show. :tongue:

I am upset as well about the 08 DVDs. I felt like the guard and percussion cam, as well as the multiple commentaries added a lot to the overall quality of the DVDs. I used to take turns watching my favorite shows in different respects. The current DVDs are not worth the money, and thus I will no longer be purchasing them if they remain this way. I have DVDs back to 99. Huge mistake DCI folks!

I always thought that past commentaries were comically lame and I really don't need to hear what the judges think. Just give me good quality images for my big screen TV and excellent sound for my surround sound system and I am a happy man.

My main enjoyment is seeing and hearing the members perform. This DVD does that. I would love to see a HD/Blu-Ray version in the future although this DVD does the best it can without being in HD.

It is a pretty hefty price tag without being in Blue Ray format though and may think twice before purchasing next season's DVD. If I had to make the decision between gimmicks and HD/Blu-ray, I would prefer HD/Blu-ray.

I am upset as well about the 08 DVDs. I felt like the guard and percussion cam, as well as the multiple commentaries added a lot to the overall quality of the DVDs. I used to take turns watching my favorite shows in different respects. The current DVDs are not worth the money, and thus I will no longer be purchasing them if they remain this way. I have DVDs back to 99. Huge mistake DCI folks!

Troop should have gotten the rights for that secured then.

That is not their responsibility... it is DCI's

Edited by roosevelt

I think that some of the comments were lame too but:

Listening to the drum judge on the 03 DVDs was great!

The Cavaliers design team pointing out the nuances in the drill!

George Hopkins honesty about the show

Guard judges going crazy over the Devils

Listening to the drum parts on the drum judges angle

I am always amazed how much guard members do by watching the guard angle

If you watch Blue Devils 2005 from the drum angle you just mite change your mind about "YOWZA"

I will write DCI and request the angles and comments back for 09

I think that some of the comments were lame too but [i liked]:

The Cavaliers design team pointing out the nuances in the drill!

George Hopkins honesty about the show

I'd only give them one listen, but I agree, those in particular were worth listening to. It especially would have been interesting to hear Hop's reflections on this season amid reports that at least some of this year's Cadets were unhappy with the design, and because the show never caught fire with the judges. You could tell that Hop always put a lot of thought into what he said on his commentary track and his candor about what couldn't be fixed would make it a compelling listen.

As I said earlier in the thread, I really think budget issues kept DCI from doing commentary tracks this year. They were probably the most expensive bonus feature to produce because they didn't record them over the phone or in a mailed-in cassette tape. The staff would actually travel to DCI (George said he did this in previous years on his blog) to view the show on video and record their commentary while they watched multi-cam view. That's really the only way you can keep the sound right, keep the audio in sync with the video, and do any needed partial retakes. So you have all those travel expenses, now for six corps since nobody's right near Indy.

I think DCI should get the directors to do the commentary on Sunday or Monday after finals. DCI headquaters is in Indy and the show is fresh in the mind of the staff and directors. This cuts down on travel and the staff is already in the area. I would pay more to get the extras.