troopers

I guess the lesson here is: if there's even the slightest chance of ANY grey areas or roadblocks of any kind to any music selection one might wish to put in a show, IMMEDIATELY discard and move on to the next selection.

There's PLENTY of music out there that not only doesn't cost an arm and a leg to use, but music written by those who actually WANT their music heard by the world. Forget the rest.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really I doubt it is thousands of dollars .. . it depends on how many copies you are pressing or making.

how do I know ....hmm ...I work for Hal Leonard

BTW the president is a corps alumni and there are many others that are corps alumni

so I doubt we are trying to kill drum corps

as for sync license hal leonard handles a very small % of the songs corps play.

I don't have a problem believing that it was a very large amount of $$$ to pay for the one piece of music from Hal Leonard. But, even if Hal Leonard views it as a "reasonable" rate increase, that is not where it ends.

The thing that kicks it into the BIG BUCKS is the "Favored Nations" clause. If HL charges an above average amount for a particular song, then every other entity who is receiving payment on that same DVD is automatically increased so that they will get paid for their piece of music at the same higher rate that HL got. If you calculate out how many songs are played by each corps and how many corps are on the DVD's, one rate increase by HL has a ripple effect that could add up to multiple tens of thousands of dollars in additional costs.

I guess the lesson here is: if there's even the slightest chance of ANY grey areas or roadblocks of any kind to any music selection one might wish to put in a show, IMMEDIATELY discard and move on to the next selection.

There's PLENTY of music out there that not only doesn't cost an arm and a leg to use, but music written by those who actually WANT their music heard by the world. Forget the rest.

By your logic that essentially leaves two types of music out there:

1) Music that is within public domain.

or

2) Original music.

Everything else could have these kind of issues.

If the Troopers had it all to do over again I doubt they would have chosen not to do Gandy Dancers. The corps made semi's for the first time since 1995 and the corps is moving in the right direction. Even though I know that the members and staff are disappointed that their ballad is not on the DVD, I am willing to bet that the competitive success and the growth of the drum corps as a whole is far more important to them than the issue at hand.

I am sorry that it is not ..

I totally understand because I marched in div 2-3 corps I might never have a chance to get my videos and cd every because DCI has no want to publish them its not there fault they are just doing what they do for a living

because DCI decided they could not profit from the sale of those dvd cd's

hopefully something will develop in the future

Edited by bscontra

fyi costs of running business rise

trust me me and none of my co workers are no even close to striking it rich

we all have very modest pay and life styles

there are still operation costs just like Drumcorps the increase of gas .. etc effects everyone

If I was you, which obviously, I'm not. Otherwise, I wouldn't be me. ANYHOW ... I would stop while I was ahead.

I don't have a problem believing that it was a very large amount of $$$ to pay for the one piece of music from Hal Leonard. But, even if Hal Leonard views it as a "reasonable" rate increase, that is not where it ends.

The thing that kicks it into the BIG BUCKS is the "Favored Nations" clause. If HL charges an above average amount for a particular song, then every other entity who is receiving payment on that same DVD is automatically increased so that they will get paid for their piece of music at the same higher rate that HL got. If you calculate out how many songs are played by each corps and how many corps are on the DVD's, one rate increase by HL has a ripple effect that could add up to multiple tens of thousands of dollars in additional costs.

Yes. This is absolutely correct.

If I was you, which obviously, I'm not. Otherwise, I wouldn't be me. ANYHOW ... I would stop while I was ahead.

Took the words outta my mouth from a page or so ago. So far it's he said.... and the other guy sez.... and we're trusting that they really are who they say they are. And without seeing the paperwork no one knows what the truth is.

LOL, my life style is modest too... but people still B-word about their taxes (I'm civil service)

Questions on Favored Nations clause: Does the increase only affect music on a DVD or can CDs be affected by the same type of thing? And would this affect future CD/DVDs or just the current one?

And to think DC used to get a free pass on this crap because we used "not really" instruments (missing 3rd value).

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

By your logic that essentially leaves two types of music out there:

1) Music that is within public domain.

or

2) Original music.

Everything else could have these kind of issues.

If the Troopers had it all to do over again I doubt they would have chosen not to do Gandy Dancers. The corps made semi's for the first time since 1995 and the corps is moving in the right direction. Even though I know that the members and staff are disappointed that their ballad is not on the DVD, I am willing to bet that the competitive success and the growth of the drum corps as a whole is far more important to them than the issue at hand.

You'd be amazed at how many indoor lines are choosing to go the original music route when it comes to their shows.

quoted for truth. . .