Drum Corps in Macy's

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall if it's happened more than once, but there was an "All-Star" drum & bugle corps a few years ago made up of members of several corps for this parade. I believe there was another for the Fiesta Bowl parade.

Back in 1987, there was the DCM All-Stars, which was a group comprised of 10% of the members of each DCM corps. That year we all met at Star of Indiana's HQ and boarded 7 busses and trekked down to Dallas, TX to march in the New Years Day Cotton Bowl Parade.

The following year, the group was reformed and went to the Orange Bowl.

After that, I can't recall, but some iteration of the group ended up marching in the Macy's parade for a couple years.

I'll see if I can scan in the group picture from that year - it was pretty cool marching in a 120 person hornline (22 contras!).

I don't recall if it's happened more than once, but there was an "All-Star" drum & bugle corps a few years ago made up of members of several corps for this parade. I believe there was another for the Fiesta Bowl parade.

Yup there was a DCI all star corps - I was in the Fiesta bowl parade all star corps in 1991 - dont know about any other years though....

Over the years I've seen more DCA corps at Macy's. Todays version of junior corps would make it very difficult due to the high percentage of imports. It would have been easier when corps were more local.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Hawthorne Caballeros more than once.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Yup there was a DCI all star corps - I was in the Fiesta bowl parade all star corps in 1991 - dont know about any other years though....

Minor point of order: it was the Drum Corps Midwest All-Stars at Macy's. They absolutely rocked - played (among other things) Kilties Auld Lang Syne. From what I understand they really gave the sound guys broadcasting ti a dilemma- they were orders of magnitude louder than any other unit.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Another question regarding the Macy's Parade? How come several of the HS and/or college bands were announced as a "drum and bugle corps BAND?" What's up with that? What does that mean? (I hate that!)

I was thinking the same darn thing! It drove me crazy! I did have a drum corps friend who was marching in a BAND not drum corps in the parade...

1994 - I was there. It was awesome! What feeling! I hadn't played for 20 years or so and I haven't played since.

Want to see? it's on You Tube…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ALpR7wBM34

Puppet.

Edited by Puppet

That footage is completely amazing every time I watch it.

That was NOT just DCM either. It was mainly DCA, DCM, DCE, ODCA, Alumni and many many others. That was something never to be forgotten as a drum corps experience. I am proud to say I was the music director and arranger of the patriotic medley and also played solo in the front group of monster leads. Over 300 brass players, thanks to Larry Herschman, Tony DeCarlo, Roman Blenski and others.

The snare line...look closely...Dan DeLong, Kevin Murphy, Nick Angelis, et al...was pretty amazing as well.

It wasnt too bad of a party either.

Donny

It seems to me that the NY Skyliners were in the parade a long time ago ?

That footage is completely amazing every time I watch it.

That was NOT just DCM either. It was mainly DCA, DCM, DCE, ODCA, Alumni and many many others. That was something never to be forgotten as a drum corps experience. I am proud to say I was the music director and arranger of the patriotic medley and also played solo in the front group of monster leads. Over 300 brass players, thanks to Larry Herschman, Tony DeCarlo, Roman Blenski and others.

The snare line...look closely...Dan DeLong, Kevin Murphy, Nick Angelis, et al...was pretty amazing as well.

It wasnt too bad of a party either.

Donny

I thought the first time it was just DCM; might have been expanded later year(s) - they were in more than once