Corps current identities

what kind of shows do you associate with each corps this decade (starting from 2000-2008) do they each have their own niche; or do you think that there are some still trying to find that thing that defines their corps and the shows they do?

example:

you think scouts, you think something latin, loud, and crowd friendly

phantom always a deep dark classical sound

but what do you think when you think crown, colts, blue stars? just a few that came to mind

Edited by doyle079

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what kind of shows do you associate with each corps this decade (starting from 2000-2008) do they each have their own niche; or do you think that there are some still trying to find that thing that defines their corps and the shows they do?

example:

you think scouts, you think something latin, loud, and crowd friendly

phantom always a deep dark classical sound

but what do you think when you think crown, colts, blue stars? just a few that came to mind

bk---dark, wierd

bd---hornline

cavies---drill

cadets---controversial

blue stars----could be cg or horn book after time

scv---tradition, respect

crown---currently the strong/fav underdog

just to be clear...no malicious intent on any of the above

take it as brainstorming

Edited by dciknowledge

bk---dark, wierd

bd---hornline

cavies---drill

cadets---controversial

blue stars----could be cg or horn book after time

scv---tradition, respect

crown---currently the strong/fav underdog

just to be clear...no malicious intent on any of the above

take it as brainstorming

i think a good chunk of this post would help to prove my thought that corps shows don't have a certain style anymore, but moreso each corps is developing an overall off-the-field identity about themselves and the people associated with them.

Colts, for example, simply a class organization.

other groups that will remain nameless...need to spend a little more time learning about how to represent themselves and where they are from...and i'll leave it at that.

(and no i did not march colts, nor have i ever had any association with them)

Edited by bhs alumni

I'll go in order of finals. Just off of my own opinions, so please don't be offended by any of them.

Phantom: They're a crowd favorite and they're #### good. They're always ALMOST there, but never make it. Well, until now.

Blue Devils: They know they're good. They know they have it going for them. To me, they don't scare you, they just amaze you with their skill. Also, I've never met a true Blue Devils fan. Just a random tidbit.

Cavies: IMO, they have the most hardcore fanbase. Of course, they're all on the drill. And to me, the Cavies always give out an air of intimidation. They just scare me more than the others.

Crown: The fan favorite. Everyone loves to watch Crown. They're a fun corps to watch, and they're getting better all the time. And that hornline is just godly. Godly, I say.

Cadets: History and progression. To me, Cadets are like the Mercedes S-Class. They're always ahead of the curve. They're great at pushing the envelope and they look good doing it.

Bluecoats: Fun and Jazzy.

Santa Clara: History. They've lost some of their thunder (which they're getting back), but they get a lot of respect for the old days. That and their percussion guys.

Blue Stars: The new kids on the block. They get a lot of respect for their dominance in the lower divisions in the old days and they're a good corps.

Blue Knights: To be honest, I don't really have an opinion of them. They're there.

Crusaders: History. History History. History.

Glassmen: No offense to the members or alumni or anything, but they bore me. Sorry you had to hear that.

Scouts: Latin! Leather pants! Maracas! Tacos!

Crossmen: I've never seen them, but their logo always reminds me of the Iron Cross. So I'll go with that: They remind me of Germany.

Colts: They're a solid mid-tier corps. That's all.

Spirit: Never seen them, but they get bonus points for getting so many Marching Southerners.

Troopers: History and cowboys. There's the sunburst. There's the uniforms. There's the drum major.

Pacific Crest: Never seen them. Whenever I think of them, I think of that picture of their baritone with his mouth gaping and his legs split.

The Academy: Never seen them. They're from Tempe, which is ASU territory, so they get some bonus points.

Mandarins: Never seen them and I don't know what a mandarin is.

Pioneer: Irish, and they always hover around the bottom.

Edited by OdeToArsenal47

Some that come to mind:

BD- loud and fast- superior horns, drums and guard

Cadets- phenomenal brass/guard/drums with shows that "push the envelope"

Scouts- crowd pleasing

SCV- I wish I could put an adjective here, but there's something about a Vanguard show that you really know it's them..traditional and classy in the way the corps carries itself - oh yeah..and their plate line!

Pioneer- Irish- yay! Dominated the smaller divisions in the '90s and looking for the size and show to take them back to semis.

Cavaliers- highly nuanced shows, total-package theme (drill and music) instead of drill with music

PR- something classical- trademark brass sound

BK- classical too, but with an artsy feel

Edited by Latrobe's Finest

"Blue Stars: The new kids on the block. They get a lot of respect for their dominance in the lower divisions in the old days and they're a good corps."

LOL! Must be a youngin' that posted that! Does 1972 and the rest of the '70s come to mind? They were/are a corps of fight and perseverance. Regardless of placement, they were always one of the hardcore units that stood at parade rest while others were goofing off and conducted themselves with class on and off the field. I still hope these ideals are being taught to the young men and women in their ranks today.

In terms of overall corps identities; that all went out after the '80s and '90s when the massive staff swaps began and the glorification, emulation, and copy cat idealism of the top 5 began to take effect. Might makes right and what's said and done at the top should be done at the bottom. **sigh** Not enough corps and those that are still around all look and sound the same.

Yeah, Uh Hmmm. LOL BLUE STARS are far from the new kids on the block. They were a force to be reckoned with for a long time. They just had to trim back some for awhile and are now on their way back to the top. New kids on the block LOL again.