Blue Devils Reaction to Finals

Derogatory.

SUTA > FYWW

FYWW?

say a corps repeats 3 letters over and over, they are said daily, they are publicly available to see on facebook, and they are antagonistic/derogatory towards another corps. Should we judge the corps that uses those 3 letters? Because I know a whole corps of ######## then.

it is a problem, and if it is an inside joke, it shouldn't be broadcasted on facebook, all it takes is having a little common sense to figure out those three letters. And i bet you things have already been said. Even is there is reason behind it, it shouldn't be done. At least keep it private, it is possible on facebook. (Yes i know i'm sounding double standard but #### happens). But it is possible that three letters could be misinterpreted, just because its not spelled out, doesn't mean its a negative thing, or includes foul language :thumbup: For instance, off the top of my head, "FTC" could mean "Further The Colts" not "#### The Crossmen"*

* I'm just using random corps names... calm down.

Are they necessarily derogatory or more of motivation for the members to do better and push themselves to get better and work harder?

I would guess it is motivation, but it is derogatory.

Ok, that honestly gets me really angry. You didn't complete the F***ing sentence. Let me do that for you, so you don't purposely give people the wrong idea. Here's the rest of it so you can stop your propaganda. I'm not usually this p###ed off on a forum, so look what you've done.

"Not only did we not attain our dream we had been working so hard for, it seemed like the whole world was ecstatic about our failure, as it seems like some members of this forum are."

you said two things, only one i took issue with. i felt no need to opine on the second part of the sentence, which has comparatively little to do with the first part of the sentence. (this, friend, is not propaganda.)

thing #1 -- your "dream" was to win DCI. i think this is a whimsical and somewhat inane dream, given the fact that there is surprisingly little the performers can do about "winning" DCI. you are setting yourself up for abject disappointment in life if your personal feelings of happiness and success are dictated to you by some subjective standard over which you have no control.

thing #2 -- you were upset that people were happy you didn't win. whatever. who cares? how did you feel about your performance.

To me, the second part of that could break anyones heart and make it a huge low point in their life. Add losing by .025 points (It would suck, it's not like that wouldn't create a small low point in anyone's life anyways), and you got two great ingredients for depression.

DEPRESSION?!? seriously?

DUDE you just spent three months cavorting around the country, playing a musical instrument, eating four square meals a day, with virtually NO real-life responsibilities, and because it didn't go your way competitively, you are DEPRESSED? this was the LOW POINT of your life?

call us back when rent is due and you are $500 short or your dad dies or you lose your job a week before christmas or your girl dumps you. that'll make coming in second at a marching band competition feel like winning the ####### lottery.

What you did, and so did a few other people, is why the world is so messed up today. The media especially does it, and so do politicians. Please just be honest and don't leave out any vital information.

you, my friend, are grossly overreacting.

take a step back and look at what you did in the grand scheme of things. it was a great season -- congratulations. the thing to do is chalk up the "loss" to external circumstances over which you have no control, put in your DVD, remember the good times, and move on.

POKE...

It seems as if you want us to be congratulating BD that you got second with a bunch of rookies.

That's not going to happen.

Considering a huge portion of 'rookies' that BD gets is NOT new to drum corps, but rather from other corps. I've known several people in my former corps, DCA corps, or others go to BD after marching a few years in there corps.

Give me the number of REAL rookies that BD had in the corps, then I'll give my 'wow, they did that with rookies' response.

BD performed great, just wasn't a good show at all and Phantom had the entire package finals night.

Edited by Kyle B

"Finals night was truthfully the most heartbreaking night of my life. Not only did we not attain our dream we had been working so hard for"

The good news is, the older you get the less and less this will seem important......

And hopefully you will do enough things with your life, you'll remember this quote and think "OMG did I actually say this?".

s/ guy 1 year past the half century mark..... (easier to put all the crap in perspective).

Heh, ask Sam about how it feels to lose a ring by the slimmest of margins. :thumbup:

If we use him as a case study then we can safely say that the 2008 Blue Devils will eventually get over it, but it won't happen quickly.

I think the truth of the matter lies somewhere in between whitedawn and Noname. The year after I graduated high school, my alma mater went undefeated throughout the entire season, only to finish second by the slimmest of margins at Grand Nationals. My sister was still in the band, as was a girl I had been dating off and on at the time and a whole slew of other close friends. I was in the building for the announcement of scores, never dreaming that things would shake out the way they did. My shock was nothing compared to the emotions I saw from those that had actually spent several months preparing for that one evening, only to have their expectations crushed in the end.

Intellectually, whitedawn is correct. Marching band competitions - a category that includes all DCI events - are highly subjective affairs. As a marching member you have the ability to control your performance, but you have no ability to control how that performance is scored by a handful of men and women in green shirts. You have no control over what you perform, which can have a huge effect on how your performance is scored, because that's entirely in the hands of the creative staff. You don't even have any control over the groups you compete against, because there is no defense played in drum corps. For all these reasons, it can be dangerous to invest yourself too heavily in competitive results, because as we saw in 2008 those results can change on a whim.

However, this is only half of the story. To stop at the intellectual level ignores the human experience of competing. The truth is that we have invested heavily in the results, in time, effort and emotion. And any time we invest we want to see that investment pay off. Witness the Blue Stars in 2008. They had no expectation of winning, and just making finals again was by itself a remarkable achievement competitively for this corps. By Saturday night, standing there for retreat they knew that they had put on a great performance. Everything they had control over was completed. But that didn't stop them from celebrating when it was announced that they had broken 90. Next to Phantom, no other corps' staff celebrated as wildly as did the Blue Stars'. Despite the intellectual fact that the score they received was not in their hands, the entire corps was visibly thrilled because their competitive expectations had been far exceeded.

The flip side of that is that the Blue Devils expectations were dashed in perhaps the cruelest possible fashion. Those expectations came not just from being the Blue Devils, a corps capable of winning it all in any season, but from the fact that they had been winning it all, finishing second just once over the entire summer. Going into Saturday night, just like my sister's band, I'm sure that most every member of the Blue Devils had an expectation that they would be rewarded for a season's worth of achievement. No question they put on a tremendous performance (and I'm still convinced that BD far outperformed Phantom that night), so there should have been no reason to expect that the results would not be the same as they had been on any other night that season. Instead, they not only finished second by the slimmest of possible margins but had to witness perhaps the loudest crowd response to a score announcement in the history of DCI.

Even as an alum, I was angry and bitter for a long time when it happened to my sister's band. That night I hopped the fence to be on the field and give whatever support I could to the kids I knew who were crushed. I can only imagine how the Blue Devils must have felt, having invested much more into their year than my top BOA band had done. What whitedawn is saying,a bout keeping this all in perspective, is absolutely correct. And eventually I hope that every member of the Blue Devils can reach that point. But here and now, just a few months after the fact, I refuse to hold it against any Blue Devil if they choose to be bitter or angry or hurt.

Heh, ask Sam about how it feels to lose a ring by the slimmest of margins. :thumbup:

If we use him as a case study then we can safely say that the 2008 Blue Devils will eventually get over it, but it won't happen quickly.

I think the truth of the matter lies somewhere in between whitedawn and Noname. The year after I graduated high school, my alma mater went undefeated throughout the entire season, only to finish second by the slimmest of margins at Grand Nationals. My sister was still in the band, as was a girl I had been dating off and on at the time and a whole slew of other close friends. I was in the building for the announcement of scores, never dreaming that things would shake out the way they did. My shock was nothing compared to the emotions I saw from those that had actually spent several months preparing for that one evening, only to have their expectations crushed in the end.

Intellectually, whitedawn is correct. Marching band competitions - a category that includes all DCI events - are highly subjective affairs. As a marching member you have the ability to control your performance, but you have no ability to control how that performance is scored by a handful of men and women in green shirts. You have no control over what you perform, which can have a huge effect on how your performance is scored, because that's entirely in the hands of the creative staff. You don't even have any control over the groups you compete against, because there is no defense played in drum corps. For all these reasons, it can be dangerous to invest yourself too heavily in competitive results, because as we saw in 2008 those results can change on a whim.

However, this is only half of the story. To stop at the intellectual level ignores the human experience of competing. The truth is that we have invested heavily in the results, in time, effort and emotion. And any time we invest we want to see that investment pay off. Witness the Blue Stars in 2008. They had no expectation of winning, and just making finals again was by itself a remarkable achievement competitively for this corps. By Saturday night, standing there for retreat they knew that they had put on a great performance. Everything they had control over was completed. But that didn't stop them from celebrating when it was announced that they had broken 90. Next to Phantom, no other corps' staff celebrated as wildly as did the Blue Stars'. Despite the intellectual fact that the score they received was not in their hands, the entire corps was visibly thrilled because their competitive expectations had been far exceeded.

The flip side of that is that the Blue Devils expectations were dashed in perhaps the cruelest possible fashion. Those expectations came not just from being the Blue Devils, a corps capable of winning it all in any season, but from the fact that they had been winning it all, finishing second just once over the entire summer. Going into Saturday night, just like my sister's band, I'm sure that most every member of the Blue Devils had an expectation that they would be rewarded for a season's worth of achievement. No question they put on a tremendous performance (and I'm still convinced that BD far outperformed Phantom that night), so there should have been no reason to expect that the results would not be the same as they had been on any other night that season. Instead, they not only finished second by the slimmest of possible margins but had to witness perhaps the loudest crowd response to a score announcement in the history of DCI.

Even as an alum, I was angry and bitter for a long time when it happened to my sister's band. That night I hopped the fence to be on the field and give whatever support I could to the kids I knew who were crushed. I can only imagine how the Blue Devils must have felt, having invested much more into their year than my top BOA band had done. What whitedawn is saying,a bout keeping this all in perspective, is absolutely correct. And eventually I hope that every member of the Blue Devils can reach that point. But here and now, just a few months after the fact, I refuse to hold it against any Blue Devil if they choose to be bitter or angry or hurt.

win

Edited by doyle079

i've never seen a topic starter get so offended by people not going off topic....

the entire time people were talking about BD's identity.. it is what happens on forums... some things pop out and tend to be discussed in more detail....

I do agree that Matt S just won...

but i still stand by my classless acts statements...

And no one took a bite at something a brought up before... but 'l ask something different

How much do you think the different corps identities effect DCI, the organizations, identity

Derogatory.

SUTA > FYWW

:thumbup:

ignorance is bliss

Edited by activerideshop5