Getting news on the road

Bob J

i remember hearing about bernie mac also. pretty much laughed it off... until i found out via my folks after finals it was true.

i also remember hearing about Brett Farve being traded to the Jets.. yeah totally thought the guy who told us was full of crap......... :thumbup:

Edited by loopin' froot loops

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being told on tapes that the corps died on the field that night. LOL

they told us that bob barker died, when i got home i found out the brass staff was just ####### with us.

I found out george carlin died about 2 weeks after it actually happened because someone's mom called and mentioned it to him on the bus one day

December 8, 1980 - I was on a BART train from Daly City to Concord to attend a Blue Devils' rehearsal. People coming on board were crying. People standing were crying. I heard the guy next to me say that John Lennon had been assassinated.

March 30, 1981 - President Reagan shot. Didn't find out until after camps.

May 13, 1981 - The Pope was shot. Didn't find out until after the summer. Very sad and violent time.

At the time I was a writer for Drum Corps News and would bring issues with me to camps. When my daughter marched many years later, I would send issues and packets of info - clippings from the paper including headlines, cartoons, and even the movie reviews so she's be up to date with what was in the theaters. Sometimes I'd sneak in a review from RAMD. By the time she aged out there was no need with everyone having cell phones.

MAV

Bernie Mac died???? lol i remember that day

i also remember about brett farve, and calling him a d######

i also remember completely forgetting about the political race... which i was very involved in before tour...and hearing about hilary stepping down finally.

Nixon got impeached while on tour, in July of 74. We had a new president for a few days before I knew it. I was 16, wanted to win DCI and wasn't worried at all about politics.

Okaaaaay....you must have read that article a little early in the morning.....lol. Nixon resigned and never was impeached as other people have pointed out and it was August and the President was Gerald Ford.

2 things stand out for me from August 1968

When we were in Detroit for Nationals the Soviet Union invaded Czechoslovokia ( spelling has to be wrong...lol) and that this girl I was seeing with the Royaleer Mounties her brother was missing in Vietnam. Now those were truly sad days. The news about the Soviet Union invasion we got on TV. We Were staying at a monastary. Hey we were the Sacred Heart Crusaders.

Edited by Bucbari

US embassies in kenya and tanzania bombed in 98, Timothy McVeigh executed in 01, and of course Bob Barker died every year. Probably tons of others, just can't remember them all.

The weird thing for me was riding in a car when I got home from tour. I missed the first two months of radio stations overplaying new summer music and it was all new to me. Other people in the car did not like me very much.

The one that will always stick out in my mind was JFK jr. This was 1999 before everyone had cell phones, and internet wasn't readily available. I remember it was finals week and I had called home to my boyfriend at the time. I guess it had happened a while before I called but I had no clue. Stuff will always happen when one is on tour, it just seems these days due to technology innovations you find out about them much faster than if you are waiting five people deep for the one pay phone in the school.