Getting news on the road

Bob J

1979 somewhere in the midwest( Marion, Ohio?), we had heard that Thurman Munson had died in a plane crash. And if memory serves me right, JFK Jr.'s plane crash was in July on a Friday night before DATR as I heard about it on the radio after watching SCV's rehearsel. And hearing of the accident that killed Jim Ott and injuring Lloyd Pesola in 1980.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in 2006, there was a rumor that fidel castro died and that one of his brothers or something took over the country... later i found out (after calling around 10 people trying to confirm) that someone made it up!

In 94, we did not find out about the OJ car chase and arrest until a month after it happend. We were executing a "rape and pillage" of a grocery store and we saw it on the cover of People. Man.... life before cell phones and the internet.

I was on tour in 1994 and we heard about that right away, as it was happening. We were cleaning the school, getting ready to leave for the show site (in Arizona), and listening to it happening on the radio. We were so close to seeing actually happen though, because the next day we were in Southern California!

One of my favorite memories was being allowed (after some serious begging and bribery) to stay up to watch the Detroit Red Wings win the Stanley Cup during everydays in 2002. There were several people from Michigan in SW in 2002. Nobody else could understand whey we were so excited. The typical reaction was "Hockey? What in the hell is Hockey?"

Ugghh... that reminds me of 1998. I barely watched any Stanley Cup Final games that year because of everydays, and I didn't see the last game and didn't even know if the Red Wings won or not until the next day. I saw a friend of mine from Michigan working with another corps and asked him if he knew, and he told me the Wings swept.

Luckily in 1997, everydays didn't start until the day after game 4 of the Final, so I got to actually see the Wings win their first Stanley Cup in 42 years that year. I also remember seeing the Pistons win the NBA Finals in 2004 during everydays on a little TV one of the parents had with them. I only got to see the 4th quarter and the award ceremony because of when rehearsals ended, but that was good enough!

Nixon resigned

Yup. We were practicing at the School of Mines when we heard about Elvis. I can still remember we were stepping on a bus to go somewhere. Funny how those moments stand still in your mind.

You would think an engineering school could design a field that would drain ! I recall marching Am Legion prelims there, and we were in mud up to our ankles. And yes, the passing of Elvis comes to mind from that week.

Except that happened on November 9, 1989. I'm guessing you're thinking of a different event.

I remember that so clearly because I was at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention in Nashville when the announcement was made during a concert I was attending. The performers? The percussion ensemble from the University of Stuttgart. (The actual "falling" of the wall happened a before the concert, but it was announced there to the attendees.) To be sitting up front while a group from Germany was playing and hear the announcement in the middle of the concert was chilling. The audience erupted in applause and the performers had to take time to regain their composure. It was magic.

The 1991 event was the Communist party falling out of power in the USSR. I was sitting in a truck stop on Route 90, returning from Finals in Dallas. We couldn't go any further as Boston was closed due to Hurricane Bob. The transistor radio announced "Route 90 will remain closed until further notice. In other news, the Soviet Union has fallen." Total shock - the enemy was gone.

I still suspect "The Party's Over" part of VK 92 came from that announcement.

I just remembered the Castro thing in 2006--I think it wasn't that he was dead, but that he was in very poor health and his brother had taken over the country (doesn't his brother run the country now?) Anyway, The Cadets had a lot of kids from Miami that yea, big Cuban-American contingent. It was a very celebratory atmosphere on the field with those guys at our rehearsal day in Allentown.

Edited by FTNK

The FBI released files on Leonard Bernstein...seems Lenny was gay. I know, surprise, right?

Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers pitched a perfect game in the inaugural season of the new Ballpark in Arlington.

Sports Report...brought to us by a generous contribution from NASCAR driver Dick Trickle! Dick won the poll several years later in a race...I kept up with him the rest of his career...nice name!

Nixon got impeached while on tour, in July of 74. We had a new president for a few days before I knew it. I was 16, wanted to win DCI and wasn't worried at all about politics.

That was some news considering Nixon was never impeached.