Getting news on the road

Bob J

The terrorist attacks in London, July of 2005. I'm sure some people might have found out through cell phones or whatever, but a volunteer got us a newspaper or two eventually. That newspaper must have been read by everyone on my bus.

Reagan's funeral in 2004. He died the day before my high school graduation, and I went from graduation to spring training the next morning, so I missed the whole elaborate state funeral.

The attempted terrorist attacks in England in 2006 that caused all liquid containers over 3 oz. to be banned from flights. That was the day of or day before Finals, and I remember my visual tech telling us about it on the field. I didn't believe it at first, because my tech was a huge joker and liked to trick us into believing things, but George Hopkins talked about it at the end of the block in a meeting, telling everyone to remember to take the liquids out of their suitcases, etc. There was a lot of discussion about the attacks and the new flying regulations between members that day. One funny thing I remember was that a guy in my section had a 6 inch switchblade in his backpack all summer, because his stepfather had given it to him and he had forgotten it in his bag before flying from Miami to Pittsburgh to get to move-ins. We were all talking about how he could get it home and joking that if that had gotten through security with a 6 inch switchblade, bottles of shampoo were the least of the TSA's worries.

I heard about Saddam Hussein being captured and the epic Pacers-Pistons basketball brawl from staff during winter camps before the 2005 season.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cousin told me that bernie mac died this summer.

but I didn't believe him.

In 94, we did not find out about the OJ car chase and arrest until a month after it happend. We were executing a "rape and pillage" of a grocery store and we saw it on the cover of People. Man.... life before cell phones and the internet.

We got to watch live news coverage of the chase after rehearsal one night during everydays/spring training. Other than that, we were totally cut off from the world. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

I'll bet those who were on tour in 1991 had a big shock when they heard that the berlin wall had come down and Germany was reunified.

I've wondered this for a while now. What would DCI had done if the 9/11 attacks had happened in mid to late July instead of SEP? Go on w/o canceling any shows? Cancel a couple shows and go on? Cancel the rest of the season? I'm guessing option 2. I'm also thinking the turnout for the shows following would've been pretty big with people looking for a some kind of release.

Thoughts? (Feel free to branch this off to a new thread if it distracts from the current thread)

I tried to buy a newspaper as often as possible. I usually floated around the bus.

The Martha Stewart thing happened in June of 2003.

I had just gotten back from tour in 2003 when the huge blackout happened in the NorthEast.

Hearing Barry White and Bob Hope died in July 2003.

One of my favorite memories was being allowed (after some serious begging and bribery) to stay up to watch the Detroit Red Wings win the Stanley Cup during everydays in 2002. There were several people from Michigan in SW in 2002. Nobody else could understand whey we were so excited. The typical reaction was "Hockey? What in the hell is Hockey?"

I'll bet those who were on tour in 1991 had a big shock when they heard that the berlin wall had come down and Germany was reunified.

Except that happened on November 9, 1989. I'm guessing you're thinking of a different event.

I remember that so clearly because I was at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention in Nashville when the announcement was made during a concert I was attending. The performers? The percussion ensemble from the University of Stuttgart. (The actual "falling" of the wall happened a before the concert, but it was announced there to the attendees.) To be sitting up front while a group from Germany was playing and hear the announcement in the middle of the concert was chilling. The audience erupted in applause and the performers had to take time to regain their composure. It was magic.

Edited by Michael Boo