Jolesch Photography- an unpleasant experience

Bossop

Usually there's a number associated with each unit, at least to my understanding, so issues like that can be avoided. Sometimes there are still mistakes, though.

I've never been a big fan of them, however. I found their individual shots to be rather...uninspired, in the sense that they look like someone just pointed a camera at the field and held down the shutter without even looking through the viewfinder. They didn't bother to take pictures of us in 06, which didn't please me very much, and the group picture experience was singularly unpleasant. We were soaked to the skin and standing in mud, and the photographer didn't have any interest in getting things done with any amount of speed. Standing on that rickety scaffolding in the middle of a hurricane ready to harm someone didn't put a very good taste in my mouth for Jolesch.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bleachers they used were always rickety and worse in the rain because they were slippery. In 06 we had to trudge through mud to get to the photo site so our white shoes were brown at that point. I always worried about the color guard and large brass climbing to the top of that bleacher.

See my post above yours....Dream's contras flatly refused to get up on the risers...and when those guys put their foot down on something like that, they ain't moving...especially with both Wayne and Don coming off of leg/ankle injuries from previous years.

I am a freelance photographer in ohio. I have been a dci marcher and now a dca marcher. i have wanted to take photos for both dci and dca for years. i sent an email to jolesch about me taking photos in ohio and they said that they were full and that they didn't need any extra help. but i didn't get a response for over a month from them and the email i finally received was very vague and kind of rude. i also agree with everyone's statements. being a fellow marcher, i understand that each person should have their photo taken at least once or twice a season by themselves during the show. and i hate the way that they deal with orders and printing. i hate the way that they make photographers like me feel like we are nothing basically. they treat us as if they are superior and that they run the show and we are allowed to have no say so at all. i would love to take over the ohio shows and i have been in contact with other photographers around the country who would also love to take over and let jolesch go of their duties. in addition, i did find out that sometimes, they don't even photograph at some of the shows that we perform at. they take photos for the priority shows or where the most popular corps are performing and then they leave the not so big shows out and neglect to even hire a photographer like me who would probably be at the show anyways. i really wish that dci and dca would both step and realize that the customer satisfaction is not so great and fire jolesch. i personally, would love to take over or even join with someone else and just photograph the local shows which i usually go and watch anyways. but until dca or dci tell jolesch to leave, we aren't going to have any control over what they do or how they treat us. so is it a time for change?

See my post above yours....Dream's contras flatly refused to get up on the risers...and when those guys put their foot down on something like that, they ain't moving...especially with both Wayne and Don coming off of leg/ankle injuries from previous years.

The Kilties didn't have pictures taken by our choice in 06. The weather was just too bad, our uniforms are too darn expensive to lounge around in the a downpour and ruin them...........and the smell of wet wool drives some passion starved people crazy....so we got the heck outta there while the gettin' was good!! :thumbup:

Shot selection is horrid....there are people on this board who are superior (Wendy for one...dang it...forgot her named....keyboards for KAC in 07).

....Wendy had better shots of us from Sunnyvale...

Wendy Tran is her name.

http://perc-photos.com/

The worst thing that I have seen them do is when Kiltie's lost their family member on the field in 05, The Crusaders(the Rochester Variety) we getting our pictures taken. We refused to let them shoot it until he was off the field and on his way to the hospital. Out of respect for one of our own drum corps brothers. At that point the tool from Jolesh proceeded to turn around with his camera, lay on the ground, put a bigger zoom lens on his camera and started taking shots of the fallen member. At that point many of us in Cru starting calling him all sorts of nice names until he finally realized how off taste his actions were. Since then, I have not dealt with them at all. Not winterguard, marching band or drum corps. I'll take my own photos thank you very much!

The worst thing that I have seen them do is when Kiltie's lost their family member on the field in 05, The Crusaders(the Rochester Variety) we getting our pictures taken. We refused to let them shoot it until he was off the field and on his way to the hospital. Out of respect for one of our own drum corps brothers. At that point the tool from Jolesh proceeded to turn around with his camera, lay on the ground, put a bigger zoom lens on his camera and started taking shots of the fallen member. At that point many of us in Cru starting calling him all sorts of nice names until he finally realized how off taste his actions were. Since then, I have not dealt with them at all. Not winterguard, marching band or drum corps. I'll take my own photos thank you very much!

unbelievable! very bad form,on his part.and I have always known rochester crusaders to be a class organization.thank you for your response to that individual,and the situation!

Edited by hairbear

Yeah I remember that quite well