Phantom Regiment Chooses Jupiter

The tubas seem to look quite a lot like the Kanstul Bb's. Are there any actual design connections between the two? I'm referring to the specific dimensions of bell diameter, length of the horn, and weight, and also the general layout appears to look the same.

They are very similar. I get the impression both are derived from the old King K-90. Not a bad lineage, to be sure. The Jupiter is the first Bb marching tuba that I've played (and I've played them all) that is in the K-90's league, if not surpasses it.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are very similar. I get the impression both are derived from the old King K-90. Not a bad lineage, to be sure. The Jupiter is the first Bb marching tuba that I've played (and I've played them all) that is in the K-90's league, if not surpasses it.

In that case, I'll have to get a hold of a tuba mouthpiece and try the Quantum tuba out next month, too. What's a good one to get for somebody who only picks up a contra/tuba about once every 2-3 years?

i was just using the word fondling instead of handling... why does it have to be a negative word... and yes no offense was meant, especially since I do respect Bob, a lot

yes defective horns do happen, but rarely, but how often does the defectiveness actually cause a problem with how it plays... its usually a mechanical issue like a valve or something isn't right.

can we also agree that I have stated that I am basing my opinion off of three opinions, only one is probably valid, and that is really the only thing im basing things off of because i know thee people personally, and I respect one of their opinions a lot. Now might my opinion change once I experience these instruments, YES that is very possible, but a bunch of posts by people I don't know on DCP isn't going to change my opinon, except for maybe Bob, because I know he knows what he is talking about.... geeze

Opinion based on others' opinions. Nice. And fondling/handling...borderline libel. Careful.

It occurs to me that you are blowing off JD's experience and work consulting with Jupiter along with Randy, Bob & the guys at Academy, plus PR's horn staff and at least three unaffiliated individuals with at least capable resumes who have expressed concurring opinions of the brass products Jupiter has put out. If one of us had said, "Geez, those tubas suck ice cubes," then maybe you'd have a point. Oh, and maybe modeling the tuba after a REALLY good King G bugle tuba (if I'm getting the right reference, instrument and thread in my increasingly older memory).

This buddy of yours must be something spectacular!

I was able to be a member of the macy's great american marching band this past year. Unfortunately i was play trombone so i did not get to extensively play any of their quantum brass, i did though get a chance to blow a few notes on one of the quantum euphoniums. I was thoroughly impressed with. Nice big sound that did not spread no matter how hard i blew. Mellos seemed to play pretty well, i didn't have a chance to play one. The trumpets the band used were HORRIBLE! cheap stuff!... now that i have scared you, i assume the trumpets we used were not of the quantum brass series. They had a brass finish and were very small and tinny sounding. I cant say much about their tuba's. The band used sousas. If any one is wondering i was incredibly impressed with their sousas, great sound, good solid build.

Opinion based on others' opinions. Nice. And fondling/handling...borderline libel. Careful.

It occurs to me that you are blowing off JD's experience and work consulting with Jupiter along with Randy, Bob & the guys at Academy, plus PR's horn staff and at least three unaffiliated individuals with at least capable resumes who have expressed concurring opinions of the brass products Jupiter has put out. If one of us had said, "Geez, those tubas suck ice cubes," then maybe you'd have a point. Oh, and maybe modeling the tuba after a REALLY good King G bugle tuba (if I'm getting the right reference, instrument and thread in my increasingly older memory).

This buddy of yours must be something spectacular!

It's just my opinion until I play the horn myself, or here more reviews. My friend is a good guy, and we are very similar with what horns we like to play (I taught him the basics of playing and much more) My true opinion of a horn comes after I play it. The horn could sound amazing, and be the best sounding thing I have ever heard... but if I don't like how it plays forget it. IMO I haven't found a great marching horn, my favorite out of what I have played is a King, and that has plenty of issue. And I do respect expert opinion... but my trombone professor, very accomplished guy, plays on a shires. Known for being great trombones. I've played many different shires, not one I liked, and my professor agreed that I sounded horrible on it. I play on a Bach Strad 42. My favorite out of what I have played is an Edwards at the eastern trombone workshop. (yeah right i'll never have the money) My second favorite is none other but the Conn 88h. So I know a good horn, I'm just reallllly picky. It is just how I am with horns. Now I have not played one of these horns, I don't know if I ever well in the near future. I'd really like to play one. I know I will be playing on a Yamaha all summer, and IMO I'd take anything over that intonation POS. I mean I am spoiled by playing a trombone most of the time :thumbup:

So basically I'm not the best person to get a horn review from... being so picky, but I guess I shouldn't have said anything... but I was really just passing on someones opinion about a horn. Just because 100 experts say they are great horns, it doesn't effect my opinion until I play it. And when I do play one, I will be sure to give my personal review on one, i'll PM you if i remember!

Sorry to everyone about my rambling nonsense... I'm different.

So basically I'm not the best person to get a horn review from... being so picky, but I guess I shouldn't have said anything... but I was really just passing on someones opinion about a horn. Just because 100 experts say they are great horns, it doesn't effect my opinion until I play it.

Sorry to everyone about my rambling nonsense... I'm different.

Wow, Mr. Picky... you DO realize that you'll be sleeping on a gym floor all summer, dining on a curb in a parking lot and taking cold showers, right? :thumbup:

Wow, Mr. Picky... you DO realize that you'll be sleeping on a gym floor all summer, dining on a curb in a parking lot and taking cold showers, right? :thumbup:

Yes, I already did a summer of it! Thanks... and its fun lining up to run through to get wet, and then run through to rinse off... because you'll turn to ice if you stand still... And my air mattress was great... except when it got a hole in it... but the bus was by far my favorite sleeping spot

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

If you'd have asked me a few years ago if I ever though I'd see this day, I would have laughed in your face. "Jupiter" and "terrible" were synonymous for a very long time, and for good reason. But at the same time, there was a good length of time that the same was true of King; no one thought we'd ever see them back on the drum corps field, and it's only because of their previous reputation that I think most people were quickly accepting of them (even if all King is now, is a line produced by a larger company rather than its own company). So, I guess my larger point is, I'm willing to at least give Regiment the benefit of the doubt that they're not going to bring a bunch of lemons on the field if they can help it. Jupiter can only benefit in the long run as King did by getting hooked up with them and putting their recommendations into production.

If you'd have asked me a few years ago if I ever though I'd see this day, I would have laughed in your face. "Jupiter" and "terrible" were synonymous for a very long time, and for good reason. But at the same time, there was a good length of time that the same was true of King; no one thought we'd ever see them back on the drum corps field, and it's only because of their previous reputation that I think most people were quickly accepting of them...

I think it's worth noting that the Jupiter horns of old were student-line horns that were made to be "bid-busters" and become entry level instruments for school districts. The Quantum-series instruments, from what has been stated here and elsewhere, seems to be much closer to a professional line.