Corps Rivalries

No truer words have ever been written. I was at a New London CT. show back in the 70's. It was an early one in the season and 27 had a great show but still had a lot of cleaning to do. BAC must have had a strong winter because they came out like it was August and topped 27 by about 4 points. Anyway, we're in the lot after the show, and out of force of habit I started whistling "Conquest". Ooops. There must have been a lot of 27 people around me because if looks could kill you wouldn't be reading this right now. :worthy:

Hee hee hee... I remember those days! In '71 when 27 won World Open, Boston showed up the next day at the Danny Thomas Invitational with large pieces of the previous night's trophy hanging from chains around their necks... no love lost between those two!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year we had a good Crown v. Cadets Rivalry. The other one was kind of a PR/BD/Cavies 3 way rivalry.

Over the years - Regiment vs. Cavies definitely. Music vs. Visual

Regiment vs. BD Jazz vs. Classical

BD may have finally caught on this year - Regiment has passed them up in finals 3 out of 4 years. 2007 was just a poor year for drum corps as a whole - except for Carolina!

Phantom <-> Cavaliers ... I would guess it's not such a competitive rivalry. I mean, since 1999, Phantom has beaten the Cavaliers at only, like, two shows. That's it, right? Granted, one could argue that they are the 2 most important shows of the season and the 2 most recent shows of the most recent season. However, I get the vibe that it's more of a philosophical rivalry. "Loud and emotional" (?) vs. "controlled and ... not-emotional" (?)

I heard about an incident in Texas this year. The Cavalier rookies streaked nude through the Devil's food truck while they were eating.

:cool:

I wouldn't call that a rivalry, that's INITIATION which in some corps borders on hazing.

There are reasons why lot's of people who once marched don't take their families into the corps parking lot after shows!

Anaheim Kingsmen vs. Velvet Knights OR just the opposite billing, depending on who you were marching with.

RON HOUSLEY

Yeah, I've heard a lot of these stories hanging with Jack. To this day 30+ odd years later, some members of each corps still will not talk to each other.

I love BD vs SCV. They are both competitive but yet are classy about it.

The Crossmen have more Revolution vets than Revolution does. I don't think that constitutes a rivalry. Especially when they don't compete against eachother.

Any bad blood that exists between Revolution and The Crossmen has very little to do with drum corps and a lot to do with a good ole fashioned Texas sized peeing match. It's really more re-constructionist era Texas mentality v. The Crossmen's marketing ploy than it is Revo v. The Crossmen.

I love BD vs SCV. They are both competitive but yet are classy about it.

I guess this raises another question. In the east there were a lot of rivalries, complete with fist-a-cuffs, that have been well documented and discussed. Even in the mid-west there have been many discussions of fighting between rival corps.

What about in the west? In So. Cal there were a lot of corps close to each other, AK, VK, Dips, LA Chinese, all serious and competitive corps in close proximity to each other. The bay area had a lot of corps within 50 or so miles there were competitive as well. Were there the same physical altercations with the corps out west?