Corps Rivalries

No other rivalry has matched the intensity of that which existed between Boston and 27th.

Gotta agree on that one. 27th housed us (Garfield) in 1971 on a weekend trip to Boston, and as we left the stadium after a show with our assigned Lancer members, they noticed that the radio antennas on all of their cars had been bent or broken, just as a carload of BAC members drove by taking...er...'credit'. Ends up THAT was a response to something that 27th members had done a week or so earlier to BAC people. It seemed to be never-ending.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did somebody day rivalry? I think the meaning of the word has changed. the best rivalry story I know of can be found here: about a fight in Miami between Cavaliers, St Vinnies, Reilly & Archie link

If fighting is the definition...a tumble-down fist-fight between St Andrew's Bridgemen (Bayonne) and St Martin's Troubadors (Newark, NJ) on the field during retreat at 1969 Garden State Circuit champs caused St Martin's moderator to immediately disband the corps. :tongue:

The Crossmen have more Revolution vets than Revolution does.

that's pretty accurate

Spirit and Crown had a bit of nastyness going in the early part of the decade here, although that has mostly washed over from 2003 and on. I haven't heard a lot about a rivalry between Spirit and Glassmen although I can definitely see how there could be one.

I know when I marched in the Marauders we hated pretty much everyone. Does that count?

Edited by JonCordell

Not sure on all of these but:

It seems that Boston and Crown have had a rivalry.

BD is rivals with everyone.

Crossmen had some rivalries back in the day (maybe 27th Lancers or Sky Riders?)

PR and Cavies definitely have a rivalry.

And yeah everyone in the top 5 or 7 are pretty much rivals.

That's all I got besides the ones from before. Feel free to clarify/correct any of these.

There's another rivalry post out there from a few years back that's worth searching DCP for.

A long standing rivalry/tradition is the "noose" tradition between the Cavaliers and the Santa Clara Vanguard that dates back to the early 70's. If one side lost, they received the "noose." Colt Foutz's book "Building the Green Machine" has a blurb about the origins of the tradition, I believe. The Cavaliers held the noose the most of the 70's and all of the 80's. It was given back to the SCV at the Bloomington regional in 1990. It's traded hands a few times since then, with it currently in the possession of SCV. It's a good example of a rivalry, but also one where there is deep respect on both sides. It'a a rivalry I would love to see heat up more from a competitive standpoint.

I noticed some Cavi v. BD tension this year,

I heard about an incident in Texas this year. The Cavalier rookies streaked nude through the Devil's food truck while they were eating.

I've heard from a friend about the SCV/Cavs noose. Quite funny :worthy:

Edited by littlebirdy

I heard about an incident in Texas this year. The Cavalier rookies streaked nude through the Devil's food truck while they were eating, many with family. It's quite hard to respect a corps that has its rookies do that :worthy:

I've heard from a friend about the SCV/Cavs noose. Quite funny :santa:

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and just say that that's funny as hell if it's true.

:smile: