Yelling's affect on corps memebers

I'm one of those fans that yell for my favorite corps when they take the field. I'm just curious, does this tick the members off or pump them up? If it were me it would pump me up, and what are some of the funnier things you have heard people say such as the classic "Freebird!!!" during an encore performance.

Thanks and a merry christmas or happy holidays to all!

Edited by Aussiehatswithfeathers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love when the crowd yells as we're taking the field! During the ballad or soft parts of the show, not so much.

Though this is my all time crowd moment to date.

The year was 2007. The place was....somewhere in Arkansas (i think)

We took the field, announcer announces, conductor counts us off, hornline plays full out, kid jumps into fetal position and begins balling.

That was a proud moment of my marching career :)

It just so happened that the kid was right in the front row behind the drum major, so I was lucky enough to witness this

And you kept your composure, cause i know if i saw that i would start crying.

My fav is at NightBeat last year a girl wearing a cavies shirt yells, "I love the you, Blue Devils drumline"

A guy behind me kindly responds "Shut up girl, your wearing a cavies shirt"

and when a corps member sneezed during the retreat and the crowd in unison says...."God Bless you!"

Call me a momma's boy, but every show that my parents are at...my mom yells something for me...and I always listen for it. :worthy:

Definitely gets me excited for the performance and lets me know I'm close to home.

Edited by jts5032

I think its great!

Makes me almost nostalgic to hear young people yelling for thier friends on the field!

Yelling "Go Joey"! or "Get it Guard" and things like that. Its one of the distinctive things about what we do!

There are times where it just borders on obnoxious.

My favorite example is the 1992 Crossmen. Thier show was winding down nice and soft,

they had just really hit a "Grand Slam" with that performance and were really creating a phenomenally beautiful moment and then someone starts screaming just before the last note. I even remember peoples concentration just being completely broken and the focus going from the kids on the field to scanning the stands wondering who the jerk was yelling. Shame on that person. Someone told me it was a staff member once (dont know if its true) but thats even worse!

I really hoped they would edit it from my tapes (yes... i just said "Tapes").

I got the whole top 25 tapes that year and i really wanted that to be gone when i popped it in but sadly, there it was.

Maybe they can reissue? lol

jm

I love yelling while corps are taking the field, and after they're done, but other than that I don't want to hear something other than cheering, or Vanguard, lol. For example, in the beginning of the Cadets show in '99 was it? The yelling totally took away from the music. Also at the beginning of SCV's show in '95 it's annoying too. Cant' hear the trumpet soloists as well.

Let's see...shows I performed in that I had "fans" present:

1992 Clearwater, FL - First DCI show ever and it happened to be in my great grandmother's hometown! How cool is that! Of course, she was upward of 70 and first time at anything to do with DC or DCI, so no yelling there. But she had several of her friends with her, so that was pretty special. If I had been thinking, I would have gone up in the stands and looked for her to say hi...didn't get to see her. Some silly rule about not going into the front stands in uni? Some rules are meant to be broken.

1992 West Chester, PA - Aunt/Uncle came out. DC rookies. If they picked up that yelling was OK I never heard them. But got yummies after the show, so that's all that mattered. We had down time the morning of the show and Uncle's parents lived nearby, so I got the royal treatment for a few hours on a million-dollar estate...sweet!!

1992 Dallas - Home show. I don't know if anyone other than family was there. Didn't remember hearing them yelling then. Saw them afterwards.

1994 Tulsa - Best friend and his future wife, also a friend, were at the Tulsa show...pretty cool! Don't know if they yelled...didn't hear them.

1994 Wichita Falls, TX - If my 92 SkyRyders mates were yelling, it would have been impossible to hear it through all the band-O's yelling for no reason. This is the show that the crowd was encouraged to yell like banshees...just crazy. That, and Finals, are the only yelling I ever remembered. Not good, Wichita Falls.

1994 Dallas - Family and 92 Sky mates. Didn't hear it ever. Terrible performance for the corps, too...so many people from Dallas and Texas in the corps. Don't know why we got psyched out. Too bad.

1994 Killeen - 92 Sky mates, including the show host's kids...GREAT show sponsors! Killeen was pretty well recognized as the finest run show in DCI back then...the few years they hosted a show. Hosted us for base camp in 92, put on a performance for the community at the end of camp...never heard anybody yelling. Great show, though.

1994 Houston - 92 Sky mates. Again...never heard them...if they were yelling for me.

I remember faces after some of these shows...Tulsa bf visited me as we were boarding the buses...Dallas Sky mates caught me...Finals saw everybody I marched with in 92...we had people in, like, 8 finals corps from the 92 corps. Wow! With all the yelling at Finals, it would be impossible to hear anyone though...unless they were one of those chowder heads who yelled for you and ruined the recording...not good.

Fun memories. Good thread!

I yell to my son before every show I attend. He says it gets him pumped. I hope so, because I've gone home with a pretty hoarse voice quite a few times :santa: .

(BTW, I'm the one that yells "Do It Up, Kansas". If you don't like it.....just give me the $$$ for his tour fee and I'll shut up!! :worthy: ).