Tiny, but interesting things you've seen.

In 1986 BD there's a flag drop that takes an eternity to recover. It makes me chuckle. There's also a stuffed animal in the pit. The camera catches both very clearly.

The maneuvers of the flag and drum majors in 70s era shows always seem interesting to me. I realize they were an important part of show design at the time, but they seem tiny relative to what we consider to be the "show" today.

In Cadets 2000 before the company front the camera catches a guard girl doing some hand gesture that looks really odd to me.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1989 SCV during the Masquerade section, the cymbals do a comical kind of prance. always cheers me up :tongue:

1989 SCV during the Masquerade section, the cymbals do a comical kind of prance. always cheers me up :tongue:

I believe that in the whole drumline did a prance in one of their 80's shows. It was either 87 or 88 I think. I know it was when I marched cause I was standing at the sideline fence watching the show and remember seeing the drumline do it.

Case in point - Cadets 2008. I just got done watching the top 7 corps from this summer. As I was watching the Cadets (and yes, I liked it), there was one point in the closer where something caught my attention, so I re-wound it. It was during a close-up of the fixture, and the girl was standing up and "talking" (lip-syncing, in this case). On my second viewing of that moment, I noticed the guy sitting there, not talking, but at one point, it looked like he waved to someone. On my third viewing, I discovered that he was waving at the judge that walked by.

I noticed that, too. I can't tell if he's waving at the percussion judge or a color guard member. I think it's pretty funny.

It's at about the 9:30 mark on the DVD.

Edited by Scout

that used to happen more back in the day because cymbal lines usually used graduating sized cymbals like a bass line. so it wouldn't be unusual to have someone out there with a pair of 32'' cymbals or larger. Cymbals that size have weaker edges and tend to chip and crack after the amount of use a drum corps cymbal line would put it through during a season.

When I marched Cymbals in 1982 whenever one of ours cracked we would drill a hole through the cymbal at the bottom of the crack to keep it from growing. The crack would cause the sound to be a little different but a small crack wasn't to bad.

I understand the cracking and the drilling to stop it from spreading....but this was the largest chunk I've ever seen missing!!

don't know if anyone else noticed this, though i bet a bunch of people have. at the end of crown 07 in the "photo finish", did anyone notice the announcer had all of the race horses alluding to each corp- "crown trailing the DEVIL IN BLUE, right by THE GREEN MACHINE, CROWN coming in for a photo finish." i just thought it was one of those great little details. i also noticed all the race horse guards skirt's were an other corps color (light blue-spirit, green-cavies, red-boston crusaders, etc.) man i loved that show.

don't know if anyone else noticed this, though i bet a bunch of people have. at the end of crown 07 in the "photo finish", did anyone notice the announcer had all of the race horses alluding to each corp- "crown trailing the DEVIL IN BLUE, right by THE GREEN MACHINE, CROWN coming in for a photo finish." i just thought it was one of those great little details. i also noticed all the race horse guards skirt's were an other corps color (light blue-spirit, green-cavies, red-boston crusaders, etc.) man i loved that show.

Yep...a great bit of fun poked at theri competitors (kinda like when Regiment did "Carnival of the Animals")

Crown 07 was 11 minutes of sheer corps goodness....my fave of the year, even over my Blue Devils winning.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll play on this one... Starting this year and going backwards

In Madison's show, after a drum feature, the drum judge gets trapped in front on one of the hornline members, and the kid can't make his spot

End of Bluecoats' show, tenor drummer loses ENTIRE set of tenors on last hits. You can see him do the last hits, then it just tumbles off. ( Easy to see on high-cam, little harder to catch on multi-cam)

Also, beginning of Bluecoats' show, when the announcer points at the champion, drags his foot through the turf, and launches a wave of the black turf- buddies in the air (Not sure that's what the technical term is, but we always called them turf-buddies)

Phantom's show, the mellophone soloist jumps out of the drill just before the running section in the opener, then jumps back in at the beginning of the ballad

Going back a couple of years, in 2005, Quarterfinals, but during Cadet's show, during the drumspeak, the pit guy who starts it has his baldric and mirror come loose, so it's just hanging off his jacket at the end of the feature

In 2002, Cavie's show, when their doing the counting in the rhythm section, their counting by pressing down and releasing their valves, not good for the horns, but it worked

2000, there's an extra set of tenors out for the line to do their drum solo on

Way back to 1991, at the end of Phantom's show, when some of the members throw off their helmets, one of the trumpet players throws his horn away, you can see it on the right side of the screen on the video...

Edited by fsubone

phantom 08

when the corps is coming on to the field and the slaves (guard) are suffering and being beaten, after the drum major dispute you see a guard member reaching for a tenor player as if asking for help. the tenor player then gives him a big kick to the head and the slave goes down. a close friend of mine who spun with phantom told me that that "scene" was completely improvised on the spot. i dont know if im telling it 100% accurate, but from what i got from my friend telling me, as the guard guy was looking back, he noticed the camera was on him and he was on the jumbotron. so when we see him desperately reaching to the tenor player for mercy, he's really saying "hit me! we're on camera, hit me!" and they completely improvised the kick and reaction on the spot.

i am still blown away by this. the backstory behind it makes it one of my all time favorite drum corps moments. it really is a testament to how drum corps is not just made up of musicians and dancers, but for well, fully rounded performers.