Who has something to prove in 2009?

Well, Phantom is sorta given a pass this year because of last year - not too much pressure on them. Most pressure is on the Cadets (need to rebound after finishing 5th), Surf (obviously b/c it's their first time), and Crossmen - time for Chambers to make them a finalist corps in his 3rd year.

Actually, I was thinking the opposite...there might be some pressure to prove that 08 was not a fluke.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Surf has anything to prove. They've taken a very long road to get to world class, and they've never had to "prove themselves" before. For the (insert number of year in existance), The Jersey Surf will be very entertaining, and will have rabid fans. The fact that they have moved to world class is proof enough for me of how well put together that organization is.

Corps I think do need to prove themselves:

Phantom - it is easy to become complacent after a championship. Can they do it again? That's the only way they will put doubt in the fans that believe BD should have won last year.

Cadets - 5th place is not acceptable for this corps. do we remember what happened the last time they came in 5th? They came out smoking the following year...I expect much of the same.

Vanguard - this is one of my favorite corps. Top 3, easily. However, after their "disastrous" year in 2005 (which I loved), they have no been able to compete with the "big boys". The Vanguard that I know is the one we talked about every off-season as perennial championship contenders....I want that back!

Most of all, the Scouts and Crossmen. - When I started marching these corps' names were synonomous with entertaining, yet competitive. Few corps had that "it factor". They may have never won or even gotten close in my lifetime, but they have always been in my top 3 favorite corps....as well as many other people. They each had a rough spot within the last few years, and I think it's time they both take it to the next level in trying to reclaim their competitive stature.

I'd say the Blue Stars. It took many, many years for that corps to return to the Top 12 and they did so with one of the fan favorite programs last year. Here's hoping they have what it takes to maintain and don't succumb to BOA show design to stay there.

I agree with that. I believe that the corps who don't use synths (Surf, SCV(?), Madison (?)) etc will be the fan favorites and will have new followings- they will prove something. I know Surf is "anti-electronics" ( I feel like the farthest that they will ever go is amping the pit) and I respect them that much more for it. I know a lot of DCI will be rooting for the corps who don't go down the path of synthesizers in their show design.

I'd say the Blue Stars. ...Here's hoping they have what it takes to maintain and don't succumb to BOA show design to stay there.

There are some that would argue (respectfully, of course), that the so-called "BOA show design" is EXACTLY what got them back into the fold.

I'd also like to see Crown do a DRUM CORPS show this year.

Yes, because no drum corps has ever played Overture to Candide, Claire de Lune, or 1812 Overture or has ever done a Sunburst or a Wedge or a Z-Pull or a company front with a step-over... :cool:

Edited by Hrothgar15

Cadets. I think all of the negative press has them on a mission with this being the 75th

I really think they have the most to prove or they may quickly, I do not like to say it, become irrelevant.

And Crown to prove they can put out another contending show.

Edited by Sideways

I really think they have the most to prove or they may quickly, I do not like to say it, become irrelevant.

And Crown to prove they can put out another contending show.

What? Irrelevant? How? They competed for a DCI title until the end of the season in 2007. They're four years removed from their last championship. One down year does not make them irrelevant.