Who has something to prove in 2009?

Well, it's way too early to predict how anyone is really going to do, but we can draw some generalities based on past performances.

Regiment - Yes, people will expect them to try and repeat their 2008 season, and I'm thinking they will at least make the attempt. But, really, how many repeats have there been over the course of DCI, and even before that? In the DCI era: SCV 73/74; BD 76/77-79/80; Cadets 83/84/85; BD 96/97; Cavaliers 00/01/02. That's a tough club to join, but I can't rule it out in December. As the defending champion, they will definitely be in everyone's sights.

Blue Devils - Statistics are on the side of the Blue Devils to finish in the top 3, and it's always in the realm of reality that they can win it all. Something to prove? Hardly.

Cavaliers - The Corps of the Decade...so far. I thought the Billy Joel show was out of character with what they've been doing the last 10 years or so, but Shogun was a complete package. Can they bring back the visual edge that pushed them to the top? Anything's possible 6 months before the first show. Give the crowd memorable music and they can climb back into the winners circle.

Holy Name Cadets - I hope there's more to the name than hype. I also hope George Hopkins can see through the veil of innovation far enough to give the fans a show they can get behind without reservation. Yeah, and Santa really came to my house last week. Yes, there will be controversy. They live on it. But you can be cutting edge and still not rock the boat so hard. And there is no denying the level of talent in this corps. Holy Mackeral! If they can capitalize on that, and limit the amount of cheese, they are among the favorites.

Carolina Crown - Now that they've arrived in the upper echelons people will expect two things: 1) They stay there, or, 2) they drop like a rock. Where you fall in that scenario depends on your alliances or your general attitude. If they can address some of the minor deficiencies in their program they can be right back in the hunt. This is a corps that I used to skip occasionally when listening. Now they're on regular rotation.

Bluecoats - Seated firmly in the middle of the pack, Bluecoats also need to tweak their program to stay or rise in the standings. It's tough in the middle. Some see you as overachieving while others bemoan lack of achievement. You almost can't win in the opinion arena. ###### if you do, ###### if you don't. I say look at the scores. They're doing just fine.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Yes, I'm biased. I'd really like to see them climb back into contention. Hopefully, Jeff Fiedler can address some of the issues that've been standing in their way. Consistancy in staff would be nice. A revolving door will just keep you in one place. In order to move forward you have to get out of the door and move on.

Blue Stars - Do you think they've worked as hard as they have to just let it slip through their fingers again? I doubt it. They've built a solid program with fan-friendly show designs, and their execution has improved considerably in the last three years. Really, people like them and it seems the members like the program and staff. Win/win.

Madison Scouts - Have they turned a corner? 2009 will definitely be a litmus test for this corps. Can they maintain the identity of THE Madison Scouts while incorporating current trends? They've adapted before, they can do it again. Percussion and brass stepped up last year, but there are still guard issues. Can the winter guard alliance help? Sure can't hurt!

Troopers - Their story of the last three years is phenomenal. There are a lot of new Trooper fans out there just among those wanting to see their survival tale extend into a return to finals. Can it happen? Ask the Blue Stars. But, please, bring back the grey pants! Everytime I see an old western on TCM or AMC, the cavalry troops are wearing grey pants.

Academy - Their amazing run through Div II took them to the brink of Div I finals in 2007. They slipped a little last year, some think due to an overambitious program. They'll make some adjustments for 2009. It's not easy finding that happy medium between playing to the judges and playing to the fans. Even more important is designing (and redesigning) to complement your membership and their abilities.

Judges - Please, just give us a good read each and every night. Put away biases, judge what's in front of your eyes (i.e., ignore last wekend's scores), and rank them according to the performances that night. And, please, take quality of the amplified sound and voice into account. I don't care where you put it on the sheets. But if it's Rice Krispies (snap, crackle, pop) out there, hold them accountable. If the vocalist(s) or narrator isn't/aren't in tune or selling the story, hold them accountable. If they talk and sing their way to excellence (and it doesn't get in the way of the visual and instrumental performance), reward them. Judge what they're playing and not what they're playing on (or not playing on). If a corps comes out completely acoustic, and they're the best corps out there, don't penalize them for having talent but not having a big budget.

Someone earlier said "everybody" and "nobody". That's true, in a sense. What most corps have to deal with are expectations. A perrenial dweller in the top three is considered a failure for a fifth place finish. A middle-packer is overachieving, or got lucky, for a top-3...or a championship. This is the year of the synth, whether we like it or not. I'm hoping for taste and restraint.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's way too early to predict how anyone is really going to do, but we can draw some generalities based on past performances.

Regiment - Yes, people will expect them to try and repeat their 2008 season, and I'm thinking they will at least make the attempt. But, really, how many repeats have there been over the course of DCI, and even before that? In the DCI era: SCV 73/74; BD 76/77-79/80; Cadets 83/84/85; BD 96/97; Cavaliers 00/01/02. That's a tough club to join, but I can't rule it out in December. As the defending champion, they will definitely be in everyone's sights.

Blue Devils - Statistics are on the side of the Blue Devils to finish in the top 3, and it's always in the realm of reality that they can win it all. Something to prove? Hardly.

Cavaliers - The Corps of the Decade...so far. I thought the Billy Joel show was out of character with what they've been doing the last 10 years or so, but Shogun was a complete package. Can they bring back the visual edge that pushed them to the top? Anything's possible 6 months before the first show. Give the crowd memorable music and they can climb back into the winners circle.

Holy Name Cadets - I hope there's more to the name than hype. I also hope George Hopkins can see through the veil of innovation far enough to give the fans a show they can get behind without reservation. Yeah, and Santa really came to my house last week. Yes, there will be controversy. They live on it. But you can be cutting edge and still not rock the boat so hard. And there is no denying the level of talent in this corps. Holy Mackeral! If they can capitalize on that, and limit the amount of cheese, they are among the favorites.

Carolina Crown - Now that they've arrived in the upper echelons people will expect two things: 1) They stay there, or, 2) they drop like a rock. Where you fall in that scenario depends on your alliances or your general attitude. If they can address some of the minor deficiencies in their program they can be right back in the hunt. This is a corps that I used to skip occasionally when listening. Now they're on regular rotation.

Bluecoats - Seated firmly in the middle of the pack, Bluecoats also need to tweak their program to stay or rise in the standings. It's tough in the middle. Some see you as overachieving while others bemoan lack of achievement. You almost can't win in the opinion arena. ###### if you do, ###### if you don't. I say look at the scores. They're doing just fine.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Yes, I'm biased. I'd really like to see them climb back into contention. Hopefully, Jeff Fiedler can address some of the issues that've been standing in their way. Consistancy in staff would be nice. A revolving door will just keep you in one place. In order to move forward you have to get out of the door and move on.

Blue Stars - Do you think they've worked as hard as they have to just let it slip through their fingers again? I doubt it. They've built a solid program with fan-friendly show designs, and their execution has improved considerably in the last three years. Really, people like them and it seems the members like the program and staff. Win/win.

Madison Scouts - Have they turned a corner? 2009 will definitely be a litmus test for this corps. Can they maintain the identity of THE Madison Scouts while incorporating current trends? They've adapted before, they can do it again. Percussion and brass stepped up last year, but there are still guard issues. Can the winter guard alliance help? Sure can't hurt!

Troopers - Their story of the last three years is phenomenal. There are a lot of new Trooper fans out there just among those wanting to see their survival tale extend into a return to finals. Can it happen? Ask the Blue Stars. But, please, bring back the grey pants! Everytime I see an old western on TCM or AMC, the cavalry troops are wearing grey pants.

Academy - Their amazing run through Div II took them to the brink of Div I finals in 2007. They slipped a little last year, some think due to an overambitious program. They'll make some adjustments for 2009. It's not easy finding that happy medium between playing to the judges and playing to the fans. Even more important is designing (and redesigning) to complement your membership and their abilities.

Judges - Please, just give us a good read each and every night. Put away biases, judge what's in front of your eyes (i.e., ignore last wekend's scores), and rank them according to the performances that night. And, please, take quality of the amplified sound and voice into account. I don't care where you put it on the sheets. But if it's Rice Krispies (snap, crackle, pop) out there, hold them accountable. If the vocalist(s) or narrator isn't/aren't in tune or selling the story, hold them accountable. If they talk and sing their way to excellence (and it doesn't get in the way of the visual and instrumental performance), reward them. Judge what they're playing and not what they're playing on (or not playing on). If a corps comes out completely acoustic, and they're the best corps out there, don't penalize them for having talent but not having a big budget.

Someone earlier said "everybody" and "nobody". That's true, in a sense. What most corps have to deal with are expectations. A perrenial dweller in the top three is considered a failure for a fifth place finish. A middle-packer is overachieving, or got lucky, for a top-3...or a championship. This is the year of the synth, whether we like it or not. I'm hoping for taste and restraint.

Garry in Vegas

:cool::tongue::angel1::sad: :sad: :cool: :cool: :cool::sad: :sad: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

your second to last paragraph is amazing.

:tongue::angel1::sad: :sad: :cool: :cool: :cool::sad: :sad: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup::worthy: :worthy: :worthy::cool:

your second to last paragraph is amazing.

Awwww, shucks!

:sad:

Garry in Vegas

PS I left out a corps' reputation in the judges section. They shouldn't let the color of the uniform cloud their opinion.

After watching the Regiment finals performance.They are going to have to pull something out their arse to top that.

Wow.

and

Wow

hmmmmm

Phantom hasn\t even done vocals yet...

hmmmmm

I AM SPARTACUS

ummmm

they just did it the right way... that's all

If they keep designing shows like they have been, then yes, they will soon become irrelevant. Oh yeah...and now they have synths. No telling what Hoppy wants to do with that.

This is what happens when you speak and don't know what you are talking about.

The Cadets have the experience to know what to do to win and design shows that can compete. To say that Cadets would become irrelevant is like saying the U.S. will become a third world country. Cadets have had many off-years but have figured out time and time again how to get themselves back to the top. I am sure the coming year or years after will be no different. Trust me, I know. I have experienced it for myself.

As far as who would have something to prove, I think everyone does. Last year certainly was no gimme for Phantom or any other corps for that matter.

Phantom needs to prove they can put out two entertaining, competitive shows in a row, IMO. With me they, always seem to follow up a great show with a poor show. See 2003-2004. And that it wont be another 12 seasons until they're a factor again.

BD has nothing to prove. To anyone. Top 5 since 1975 says it all.

Cavies need to change a few things in show design. Last year was a step in the right direction but their formula is getting boring.

Carolina Crown might have the most to prove. Will they keep climbing ala Star or settle back into the vast drum corps Sahara of 7-12 place with the likes of Boston, Bluecoats, Glassmen and BK?

Holy Name Cadets have been overhyped to the point of absurdity so far. Will they live up?

Bluecoats. Where for art thou, Bluecoats? You were supposed to be it, man! After that 2006 4th place finish? Hey, wha happened?

Santa Clara Vanguard also has a great deal to prove. Were at 10 years since they were really a factor (save 2004). Would love to see SCV in the top 4 again.

Blue Stars need to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. And IMO put on a more mature program.

BK. For the love of God, change something. Change anything. Just stop being so :cool: I don't need a hot dog. I would love to watch you. Please give me something to watch!

BAC- see BK

Glassmen IMO have made some good strides in show design. Got away from the watching-the-paint-dry boring-ness of the early 00's. Execution is lacking. They need to prove they can stay in top 12.

Madison Scouts- Sigh. I can hear Jason and Dave already. "Dude, why so negative?" But seriously. The Madison Scouts have something to prove to me because I haven't found them to be entertaining since 1999. I got out my CDs yesterday (my wife got a new iPOD and was putting some drum corps on it) and listened to all the things I used to love about the Madison Scouts. Then I got to 2000. And every show since save a couple cool moments (2001 opening hit, tenor/tymp thing in 2002, 1 or 2 things from 2005) to me is lacking. They made some great strides last year from a show-design standpoint and if everything is true about numbers of returning vets, they should be in good shape. But they still have a longggggg way to go.

Phantom needs to prove they can put out two entertaining, competitive shows in a row, IMO.

2005-2006-2007-2008, no?

Blue Stars need to prove that last year wasn't a fluke. And IMO put on a more mature program.

So, does this mean you want them to be boring like several of the corps above them? Why does a corps have to play some obscure, non-sensical show to be seen as "mature" by so many on here? Personally, I would love to see more corps perform shows like Blue Stars' 08 show. Entertaining, understandable, and I could actually remember the music after leaving the stadium. Which is REALLY amazing, considering I sometimes cannot remember what I had for lunch :cool: .