Who's the biggest contender for top 12...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?

Why, are those two corps buddies or something? :O

Actually...I heard 2008 was the first year EVER that neither corps made finals...

After semis they played the corps songs for each other in the warm up area..

depending on how the season goes for the colts this year, it might set up a new way that the corps that usually place lower, not top 8, do business during the winter. maybe the colts not holding till late will be the best thing going for them. they might get all the people who were cut from other corps, specifically the 4 mentioned earlier, who have a chip on their shoulders to prove something to the corps they got cut from, which will lead them to doing much better than expected. did that make sense? :tongue:

its probably not the camps that help the corps the most, its probably the attitude the members have towards the season that determines where they really place. if you want something badly enough, youll get it. the amount of time practiced isnt as important as the quality of practice had. is it impossible for a corps whose had less practice to place higher than a corps whose had much more practice? :smile:

the colts are bound for something great this year. the past 2 years i have taken notice to them and have learned to greatly appreciate the music they perform, which doesnt really mean anything i guess. :thumbup:

anyways they always seem to perform holding their heads high and with a lot of pride. :thumbup:

Edited by doyle079

depending on how the season goes for the colts this year, it might set up a new way that the corps that usually place lower, not top 8, do business during the winter. maybe the colts not holding till late will be the best thing going for them. they might get all the people who were cut from other corps, specifically the 4 mentioned earlier, who have a chip on their shoulders to prove something to the corps they got cut from, which will lead them to doing much better than expected. did that make sense? :tongue:

its probably not the camps that help the corps the most, its probably the attitude the members have towards the season that determines where they really place. if you want something badly enough, youll get it. the amount of time practiced isnt as important as the quality of practice had. is it impossible for a corps whose had less practice to place higher than a corps whose had much more practice? :smile:

the colts are bound for something great this year. the past 2 years i have taken notice to them and have learned to greatly appreciate the music they perform, which doesnt really mean anything i guess. :thumbup:

anyways they always seem to perform holding their heads high and with a lot of pride. :thumbup:

No, quite frankly that makes no sense. I am quite certain that Colts goal is not to fill their ranks with cast offs from other corps audition camps. If Colts want to continue being top 12 compettitive they need to draw equal talent, not settle for those that would have preferred to march elsewhere but couldn't hang.

As I have stated before. I am close with the colts. They will have more than 150 people tryout. They're not like Crossmen where they set up camps all around the country, but to suggest they wouldn't get 150 is ridiculous. It's a relatively local program that will fill quickly. Colts are already miles ahead of where they were at last year when they had an ineffective brass caption head that was fired three days before the their first show at Rockford. The original effective score was torn apart and not reassembled until late July as a result of awful organization during the winter camps and pre-season. At this point more is solidified and defined this year than any other year I have been present at. They will be in finals. When you hear their opener you'll have no doubt. Just because their hasn't been an official camp doesn't mean that there is a lack of connection between returning members, staff, and potential members. Returning members can meet on their own accord. People out of the top twelve can have surprises up their sleeves too.

As I have stated before. I am close with the colts. They will have more than 150 people tryout. They're not like Crossmen where they set up camps all around the country, but to suggest they wouldn't get 150 is ridiculous. It's a relatively local program that will fill quickly. Colts are already miles ahead of where they were at last year when they had an ineffective brass caption head that was fired three days before the their first show at Rockford. The original effective score was torn apart and not reassembled until late July as a result of awful organization during the winter camps and pre-season. At this point more is solidified and defined this year than any other year I have been present at. They will be in finals. When you hear their opener you'll have no doubt. Just because their hasn't been an official camp doesn't mean that there is a lack of connection between returning members, staff, and potential members. Returning members can meet on their own accord. People out of the top twelve can have surprises up their sleeves too.

That is a bold statement for a drum corps that hasn't even met yet

Also, every drum corps is saying "we are miles ahead of where we were last year." Have you ever heard a corps come and say: "yeah we are behind and not where we should be at this time of the year". I dont think so. If that were the case, the brass caption head you mentioned last year would not have even made it to all days, much less three days before the first show. He would have been fired about this time last year.

Finally, who are you going to beat to make it in to finals? Not only do you have to pass up the crossmen who are probably going to come out like a house of fire this year, but you are going to have to beat someone else that was in the top 12 last year. Who is it going to be? Don't forget about those corps that were right behind you last year like spirit and troopers that could easily have something to say about all of this, much less other groups like PC, academy, and jersey surf.

I hope you guys do make final, I really do. I like the colts a lot more than some of the corps that are in the top 12, but it is a bit early for any guarantees.... especially when you haven't had a camp yet.

Their brass program isn't all that will need to improve from last year to be compettitive for finals. Their percussion program needs to see some improvement as well. If they can get their brass and percussion on the same level as their colorguard (which was by FAR their strong point last year) they should be in good shape.

That is a bold statement for a drum corps that hasn't even met yet

Also, every drum corps is saying "we are miles ahead of where we were last year." Have you ever heard a corps come and say: "yeah we are behind and not where we should be at this time of the year".

1. Greg Orwell actually stated on the Colts website that the organization is far from where it should be at this point in the season. You might want to check your facts on that one.

2. What guarantee is there that Scouts or Blue Stars will make finals? In 2007 Colts went from 13th/14th to 10th and dropped back down to 14th. Why are Scouts and Blue Stars are immune to this?

3. Why couldn't Glassmen, Boston, or Blue Knights drop out of finals? They are just as much in danger of getting beat out by Crossmen, Colts, or Spirit. Are you insinuating that they simply have secure spots because they are finals regulars? With that ideology I don't know if drum corps should have the respect it should. The Best corps should be in finals, plain and simple. I'm sure you agree with this.

4. You speculating about Crossmen is just as valid as my speculation about Colts, except that I have heard the music. (If you have heard Crossmens' I'm sorry)

1. Greg Orwell actually stated on the Colts website that the organization is far from where it should be at this point in the season. You might want to check your facts on that one.

2. What guarantee is there that Scouts or Blue Stars will make finals? In 2007 Colts went from 13th/14th to 10th and dropped back down to 14th. Why are Scouts and Blue Stars are immune to this?

3. Why couldn't Glassmen, Boston, or Blue Knights drop out of finals? They are just as much in danger of getting beat out by Crossmen, Colts, or Spirit. Are you insinuating that they simply have secure spots because they are finals regulars? With that ideology I don't know if drum corps should have the respect it should. The Best corps should be in finals, plain and simple. I'm sure you agree with this.

4. You speculating about Crossmen is just as valid as my speculation about Colts, except that I have heard the music. (If you have heard Crossmens' I'm sorry)

There is no guarantee that any of the above mentioned corps will make finals, but none of us made that guarantee. You however made a statement of fact, "they will be in finals" in reference to the Colts, and the only real basis you give for that statement is that you've "heard the music" which means absolutely nothing other than that you've heard what they're going to play. Whether or not they play it well remains to be seen. Also, you stated that they are miles ahead of where the corps was last year, and then quote Greg Orwoll as saying the organization is far from where they should be at this point in the season. Also, you better hope they get WAY more than 150 at camp, becuase if they just get 150 there is a good chance about 1/3rd of them won't be top 12 talent level. Programs putting together top 12 drum corps see on average 300 + at auditions. Sorry, but your argument is all but shot at this point.

Edited by BozzlyB