Over The Years.......

.....what corps or corps' would you have thought would make top 12. Let's go with 1972 to present.

1. Squires (Watkins Glen)

2. Les Eclipse

3. Geneseo Knights

4. Avant Garde

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

72-74 Blue Rock

74 Polish Falcons Cadets

75 Precisionnaires

79 Offensive Lions

80 Seattle Imperials

81 Holy Family Defenders

82 Memphis Blues Brass Band

84 Les Eclipses

87 Florida Wave

Some great corps that never made it to DCI Finals.

Tired and Old in Pa

72-74 Blue Rock

74 Polish Falcons Cadets

75 Precisionnaires

79 Offensive Lions

80 Seattle Imperials

81 Holy Family Defenders

82 Memphis Blues Brass Band

84 Les Eclipses

87 Florida Wave

Some great corps that never made it to DCI Finals.

Tired and Old in Pa

I forgot 72 St. Rita's Brassmen

Of course I'd say the Knights in 82 and 83, but it seemed to me that Pioneer was about to make the jump in the early 90s and never quite made it.

This may be somewhat off topic but this thread got me thinking about corps like Kiwanis Kavaliers who, as a Div II corps achieved much success and had a solid program, but since they made the move to Open (World) class did not seem to continue to advance.

Since Tommy brought them up I would include Pioneer in this category. Although they did have one year, 1995 I believe, where they seemed to be in the hunt for a finalist position (until the end of the season) I don't think they have advanced their program much since their Div II days.

Honestly there were years when I thought Kiwanis, as a Div II corps had a better quality corps than they ever had as an open class corps.

I forgot 72 St. Rita's Brassmen

Thanks for the props and I might be out of line but having bested Blue Rock at the World Open in '73 placing 2nd just behind the Bridgemen might earn us a placement in that year as well.

If…

You know what I'm saying.

It's all about the "if"

Woulda - coulda - shoulda

Puppet

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add my alma matre, General Butler Vagabonds. I think 24th is the highest we ever placed in prelims at DCI. It was not for a lack of talent. Maybe since we looked a lot like that corps from Garfield, I don't know why.

We had people like Andrew Yaracs, corps director, who wrote for several top 12 corps, including 27th. We had Bruno Z. on staff, Cavies newest corps director. As far as marching members, Curt Hawkins, famed sop soloist, Pat Cavanaugh, 4 times DCI I&E french horn winner, and as far as I know, holds the record for most. Bill Lutz, DCI I&E winner at the age of 15 or so on keyboards. Our lead sop line could hang with any corps in it's day.

Pioneer, Les Etoiles and KK all seemed to *almost* make that jump then fall back. In retrospect, I guess it's more that everything clicked for those couple of years before it started not-clicking again.

But honestly, the one program I felt in my heart would make the leap was Academie Musicale. Something about 'em just seemed more sophisticated than normal corps stuff.

Mike