Corps icons

Fantastic job.

Boston's needs a little work, I think... you should see the horizontal black lines under the baldric (this year there was also a shiny metal plate in the center of it). :S

And personally, if you're going on uniform alone, it doesn't make sense to go with Madison 1 or Phantom 1, as much as I like the symbols (maybe a little bit for Phantom since it's on their shoulder, but that's still different from /everyone else/...)...Phantom 2 would be okay if they march that again (if they have shinies again, I'd try and shiny it up a little bit), Madison 2 would also be okay if they march that again (I think I'd raise the picture a little higher to where you can see the top of the tie, right now it's ambiguous)

Edited by Stryfe

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job so far! I only have a few suggestions that may or may not work.

Cadets - The part of their uniform that is completely unmistakable to me is their yellow cummerbund and sash. What do you think about replacing the second line with a yellow stripe?

Madison Scouts - I like the second one, but I feel like it's lacking the detail that is in the other uniforms. Maybe add the gold buttons, and/or a line to show the collar that they have?

Phantom Regiment - First one if you're going for the logo, but the second one if you're going strictly for the uniform look.

Spirit - Just sayin' that you did really well with this one. I like it. :]

Troopers - This past season, there was a black leather baldric with a buckle that went with the uniform. Maybe add that or the gold buttons?

And for the multiple uniforms that have sequins, would you be able to make it so that the sequined parts actually look that way? I'm just wondering and I don't know if you want to go that far into it or not.

Really nice job, though! :rolleyes:

There's something I'm working on, and I want to run it past you guys-

Are these icons fair graphic representations of their respective corps' on-field presence? Also, do you prefer the #1 or #2 versions of Madison and Phantom?

Thanks for any feedback!

icons.jpg

Hmmm! I dont know if I like any of them, I dont know if you should be able to do this. That MADISON SCOUTS thing you have there, posted here, is pretty dam sacred. There are ahhhh! copy right things that make it quite, lets just say not good for you. But on your question, make the 2- 1st ones bigger like the Crossmens logo and I think you have something there. But do not forget what I said about using our name and LOGO for your convienience.

Peace,

Jason

I dont know if you should be able to do this. That MADISON SCOUTS thing you have there, posted here, is pretty dam sacred. There are ahhhh! copy right things that make it quite, lets just say not good for you.

... or not? Unless he's trying to start his own corps and call it the "Madison Scouts" and use that symbol, or do something else financially, all of this is protected under free use. It's like the banners in peoples' signatures and the symbols in peoples' avatars -- nothing comes close to preventing it.

The crown button is show specific I believe. The color's will change.

A lot of these buttons also seem really ambiguous without a clear label next o them.

The scouts 1 logo is best, you you should cut out the black box, and enlarge just the red part.

Phantom 1 logo is also the better of the two. try to make it bigger though to be proportionate to the xmen logo.

I'm also pretty srue academy has some sort of button or decoration at the point of the corners

Bluecoats is really abstract. If you could accentuate the sequins and the separation of colors a little more, it might be easier to identify.

Troop looks very animated, as well as the vanguard. Maybe try using the US buckle, and Vanguard Star for these corps instead. I'd find them much more identifiable.

If you could show shadow to accentuate layers, these uniforms would pop out a little more and be more identifiable.

I'm also pretty sure that Blue knights have a button inside the 90 degree corner of the triangle as well.

I love Phantom 1 with the Chevron. Maybe if you could push it up in size a little more. I know there's not much room but the Chevron should fill it completly and I agree with an earlier poster, on the Madison 1 if you could push the fluer up in size and just put it on the green background with no black box I think that would look awesome.

Thanks so much to everyone for their fantastic input. There's definitely some good feedback that I will apply going forward.

To address a couple points:

Madison #1: The reason I have it on a black rectangle is because that's the way it's displayed on their sleeve patches. I specifically want to use the corps' uniforms as the basis for these icons. Similar situation with Phantom #1— That's how the chevron looks on their sleeves

Madison and Phantom, #1 vs #2: I'm kinda surprised how much more popular the sleeve patches are to the uniform fronts. That's cool with me, in the sense that I apparently have a really solid place to fall back on if I can't make the #2s work. I'd like to rework the #2s to make it uniform with the rest of the icons (ie, distinguishable element from the front of the uni).

Crown: I really like, and prefer the idea of the crown shaped plate. Knowing that the windows are show specific has bothered me about that one, so I think it's an excellent idea.

Crossmen: I'm going off of what their "current" uniform looks like. I'm taking a wait-and-see approach on if they come out again with red or white elements. Personally, I'm hoping it'll be red, and I'll GLADLY change the icon to match if that's indeed the case.

Troopers: I like the idea of adding the black strap... I'm going to work on that.

No buttons: I made the decision early on in this process that I'd exclude the buttons that decorate the uniforms, even as much as I like them on the actual real life uniforms. I found that they added a degree of clutter that I wasn't comfortable with at that small size, so I took the artistic license to leave them out and keep it as simplistic as possible.

What is this for?: You'll have to wait and see. I'm sure many people can put two-and-two together, but I'll let you guys speculate. I've got a lot of work to do on this project, and as much as I appreciate the little market test you guys have given me, I want to keep it under wraps until it's done.

Thanks again, guys!

Madison 2 and Phantom 2....especially if you're going for uniforms.

Are you going to put white on BD's, or are these not just 08 uniforms? If you're using uniforms from other years, can I request Madison's 03/04 or 05 uniform? Those were by far the coolest, and would look awesome on these icons.

Hmmm! I dont know if I like any of them, I dont know if you should be able to do this. That MADISON SCOUTS thing you have there, posted here, is pretty dam sacred. There are ahhhh! copy right things that make it quite, lets just say not good for you. But on your question, make the 2- 1st ones bigger like the Crossmens logo and I think you have something there. But do not forget what I said about using our name and LOGO for your convienience.

Peace,

Jason

Your scouts logo is used in A LOT OF PLACES.... having nothing to do with drum corps... i'm pretty sure scouts do not have a copyright for it... a lot of corps logos are old symbols of a different meaning.. like the maltese cross used by the crossmen. And your fleurdelis, i understand that the scouts may have a certain copyrighted version of it, but really, i'm sure they won't care... but yeah all of these logos originated way back when as military logos...