Favorite Pit Features

We had best drumbreaks now lets hear best pit features.

The intro to Phantom 2007 immediately comes to mind. Very captivating and beautiful.

Phantom 2006 after the opener. The musical nuances are just amazing.

Phantom 2005 pit accelarando.

BD 2000 pit accelarando. One of the first pit featured moments and definately one of the most memorable.

Phantom 2008 pit stuff with the mello solo. Just gorgeous.

I think the way Paul Rennick and staff over at phantom are using the pit these days is remarkable. The pits at phantom are always extremely musical, and they are featured in the most musical contexts.

What are your favorites?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BD 2000

Cadets 1998 had a bunch of good ones.

89 BD - beginning of show - WOW!!

I like the accel. in BD 2000, however i don't know that i would go as far as saying it is one of the best front ensemble features. I think it is one of the most prominent in recent history. The placement and purpose of the fetaure was spot on, however it is not that groundbreaking or technically demanding. Single lines like that accel. are easy to teach and clean. BD's front ensemble has played much more challenging music than the one feature the the whole drum corps world knows. The material in the begining of their 07 show was infinetly harder from a musical and technical standpoint.

I have to agree with the opening material from Phantom 07. The source material is great. Chirstopher Deane's "Verspertine Formations" is an amazing piece. I don't think it has been recorded yet. But check it out if it is being performed at a local university. They also bring it back at later parts of the show with great success.

There is a break in the Cavaliers 02 show around the 4:40 mark that I enjoy. Not technically demanding. It is musically simplistic with great results. The Cavaliers front ensemble from 2000-2006 had an incredible amount of projection. They added alot of contrary motion even when not featured.

The year the Blue Knights did the Piano Concerto and featured the front ensemble as the piano soloists contains some cool ideas.

The front ensemble writing during Cadets 05 Ballad is quite good.

The year the Blue Knights did the Piano Concerto and featured the front ensemble as the piano soloists contains some cool ideas.

That was 2006, and the pit feature while the corps proper is swirling around the guard soloist definitely deserves its place in this thread.

BD 2000 was the first thing to pop into my mind, and then I noticed I was far from alone. It's still incredible. And PR 2007 is the next one that instantly comes to my mind.