Favorite Pit Features

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets 2004 gets a mention in my book for all the melodic contributions they had. Probably one of the better books for the metals out there.

Can't possibly leave out Bluecoats 2005 for both the vocalizations and log drums or Bluecoats 2004 for the rubber ducky. Those were some amazing pits all around (especially the timpanist).

I've never been all that impressed with PR 07's pit feature. The writing was amazing but it wasn't technically demanding. Not to say their books don't have demand, I'm VERY impressed with them as a whole, but I think that feature is just a little bit overrated.

I love the beginning of the Cavies 07 percussion feature with "Angry Young Man." Those guys made playing those fast single independent strokes (with the double verticals mixed in) look sooooooo easy when it really wasn't. Kudos to them.

Also love BD 05, beginning of the closer I think it was.

I'm probably in the small minority here, however...

aside from the obvious 2000 BD, and 1995 PR which jump right out at everyone, I am particularly fond of....

1994 Phantom Regiment right at the beginning of the show. Not necessarily a "feature" but it was one of my favorite moments of that entire show.

VK doing Hungarian Rhapsody....in....i can't remember which year.

I've never been all that impressed with PR 07's pit feature. The writing was amazing but it wasn't technically demanding. Not to say their books don't have demand, I'm VERY impressed with them as a whole, but I think that feature is just a little bit overrated.

Technically demanding - no. Musically demanding? yes. The had to work to know just when to crescendo out of the ensemble and to go back down. Having played the orignal piece, I assure you that it was very difficult to make it sound the way its supposed to.

Technically demanding - no. Musically demanding? yes. The had to work to know just when to crescendo out of the ensemble and to go back down. Having played the orignal piece, I assure you that it was very difficult to make it sound the way its supposed to.

Yeah, I know. I think they did a tremendous job with it, really - but I still think the tremendous hype generated from that feature has more to do with the writing than the performance though.