DCI marchers with Alumni-type corps experience

There have almost always been some DCI marchers who had a DCA background. And of course there has always been that rivalary between the circuits that runs the gamut from funny to cruel/stupid.

Heard thru the grapevine that a college aged member of an Alumni-type corps has made the cut of a World Class DCI corps. Now that's stuff that any DCA/Alumni-corps would be proud of but don't want to post the persons name or the names of the two corps involved. One reason is I don't post personal info like names without permission. Second reason is I have no idea if a raft of crap would descend on this young person.

So for the current or recent ex-DCI marchers the question is: What is the feeling about a member with Alumni-type experience joining your corps?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure that the general feeling was a burning sensation - fortunately Gold Bond was available.

There have almost always been some DCI marchers who had a DCA background. And of course there has always been that rivalary between the circuits that runs the gamut from funny to cruel/stupid.

Heard thru the grapevine that a college aged member of an Alumni-type corps has made the cut of a World Class DCI corps. Now that's stuff that any DCA/Alumni-corps would be proud of but don't want to post the persons name or the names of the two corps involved. One reason is I don't post personal info like names without permission. Second reason is I have no idea if a raft of crap would descend on this young person.

So for the current or recent ex-DCI marchers the question is: What is the feeling about a member with Alumni-type experience joining your corps?

At Southwind in 2003 we had a guy come in about half-way through everydays. He had (if I remember correctly) 8 years of experience at the Rochester Crusaders. He came to SW to age out. Dude was a mother f-er. Brickhouse lead soprano. We loved it. Cool dude. Ended up being on brass staff for a few years after aging out, too.

No big deal to us.

:tongue:

If they are good I am sure that everyone would be fine with it. If they sucked I bet they would bag on it.

I had a lot of experience with the Springfield Marksmen and CT Alumni, as well as the CT Hurricanes before I ever stepped foot in ECJ's corps hall. I don't think it really matters all that much. We all come from different backgrounds anyway at some point in time. SR/Alumni corps is just another one. Obviously if the person made a world class corps, they deserved it, and anyone who deserves a spot should be a welcome addition to any drum corps.

where ever anyone can play and be happy doing it... and of proper age limit, whatever that may be by the laws of the activity... sounds cool to me.

Music = life to those that have it in them.

I know of someone who marched bridgemen and went on to surf, i also know it coming common for people to march bucs and then go to DCI once they have experience.