Best/Worst/Weirdest fields you've ever marched on.

I go to Hixson High School.... What year did you go there? performance or rehearsal?

The football field is all bermuda.. so you must be speaking of the preactice fields....and ours arent near as bad as some ive marched on this past summer...

No, it was the competition field, and it was this year. I had 28 steps straight backwards and at 28, when I took my right flank, GADONK! But then again, I get spoiled, since my school is loaded with money and the field is pristine.

Oh, and you guys have an awesome sax player. I remember his solos. And the majorette dropping the flaming baton.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite Fields:

Northern Illinois University

Soldier Field Chicago Circa 1980 - Had carpet astro turf with like a 3 inch pad under it.

Worst - West Allis WI - Had a girl in our horn line crushed on th gravel road between 2 vans right after the show in 84.

Truck stop parking lot in Winnemuca Nevada after our bus broke down and we decided to "Make Lemonade" out of our situation. Nothing like having an 80,000 lb truck headed at you during a company front. :smile:

Anything with a baseball diamond in it generally sucks. I think I hit a baseball diamond in Syracuse. Trying to play clean while suddenly finding yourself marching uphill, then downhill while pushing 6 to 5 sideways at the end of the opener simply blows.

Someone else has mentioned it once, but I will back it because I need to give props to my first Alma Mater, and that field is:

Arizona State University at Sun Devil Stadium

-Always a well manicured natural grass field, cut very very short, but tightly packed with slightly less give than your standard turf field. Absolutely wonderful. Also, the rabid crowd and stands set at about a 40 degree angle made for a very aesthetically pleasing performance experience. It's a shame that this was a "once in a lifetime" type of show back in 2007. (Oh and the day of the Phoenix regional wasn't even a "hot" Arizona summer day! :cool: )

A close second has to go to Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium of Denver, Colorado. Gorgeous facility, flawless field, friendly crowd. Super!

:smile:

And the absolute worst field I can remember has to go to:

Schurr High School, Montebello, California.

-We rehearsed here on two different tours. First of all, the field was slanted at a diagonal upwards angle towards the front corner of the Side 2 end zone. Additionally, the grass was growing in random patches and splotches dotted across the field. Most of it was thick nasty Bermuda grass. Plenty of weeds also. To top it all off, most of the potholes were centrally located on the field. How convenient eh? :sad:

-The lone glimmer of light I can gleam from this experience was the shower head that was actually a hole in the wall, thus simulating a lukewarm waterfall, not too hot, and not too cold. Just splendid!

Best fields I've had the privilege to march on:

Camp Randall Stadium (Madison, WI)

Jacksonville State University

Don & Nona Williams Stadium (Menomonie, WI)

Chattahoochee High School (Alpharetta, GA)

UW-Whitewater (Whitewater, WI)

Less than magical field:

Shenandoah Sound's home show in '08. Grass was tall, and wet (weather earlier in the day didn't help matters any)

WORST - Had to be the Michigan Race Track. Right after DCI in '72 we went to this auto race track where they had a drum corps contest right on the banked track in front of the grandstands (I think it was a NASCAR track but I'm not into racing other than Formula One). The field was short width wise but somehow (banked track and all) we got through the contest.

-Jesse :thumbup:

WORST - Had to be the Michigan Race Track. Right after DCI in '72 we went to this auto race track where they had a drum corps contest right on the banked track in front of the grandstands (I think it was a NASCAR track but I'm not into racing other than Formula One). The field was short width wise but somehow (banked track and all) we got through the contest.

-Jesse :thumbup:

Worst field wasn't a field at all it was a parking lot in Fort Lee NJ 1988. Was an exhibition for what I can't remember, but I do recall backing up full spead into a lightpost in the middle of the parking lot. Nothing can prepair your for that.

Best I would say right now Bridgeport Ct at Central High since it's been resurfaced. Barnum Festival is held there each year.

Weirdest! West Haven Ct, Last show before DCA championships. 1999 the field was undergoing resurfaceing and was not completed before the show. So we marched on the black rubber/cork "whateva" underlayment. Was a bit springy and very sticky. But what was even more weird was the video of the performance. Since the field was black and so are our pants all you could see was us from the waist up.

Well I'll have to go back eons ago and the worst field I ever marched on was 1976 Oil City PA, grass was seriously midcalf, hid all the rocks and holes in the field.... was a experience to come out with only "tweaked" ankles and nothing worse

1994. It was in either Lynn or Pittsfied, MA. The show at a baseball field. The line grid wasn't parallel to the stands (our best view was of the staff sitting on the pitcher's mound), the field was a mud pit, and there were NO yard lines--only the front sideline, off angle that it was, remained.. It was a total cluster --. I thought someone was going to die during the final 360/wedge. People went crabbing in every direction and it turned into a free-form amorphous mass. I bet our volume at point dropped by half--survival was more important at that point. It was just surreal.