Best/Worst/Weirdest fields you've ever marched on.

I was just about to post about this field. Absolutely insane. I remember retreat was not done in blocks, but corps marched on the track, stopped, and faced the stands all in lines. So weird.

But ####, the lemonade was good there.

Horsetrack reminds me of the show my Garden State Circuit corps hosted in 68 or 69, at the Morris County Fair. Each corps had to host a show (that's how the small corps got most of their shows to march in), and one of the parents helping our corps had a connection with the fair.

Our GSC show went on IMMEDIATELY following the 'rodeo' portion of the show (read that as HORSES) on this field made up of dirt, dust and horse poop!

:smile:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use to do the same thing at the Putnam county fair (Ohio) every summer. We were a class A corps so not as many members to cram in.

We'd practice for it by rehearsing facing the wall of a school. The director would make the back side line about where it sould be for track width and then we'd play through the show. The brick wall kept us from going to far! :smile:

And if you DID go to far, you'd reenact that parade scene from Animal House!

Worst ever was probably the parking lot when I was in high school. A lot of holes. The best ever is Crew Stadium in Columbus, Oh. Incredibly well maintained field.

Did some VFW show somewhere, think it was a prelim and there was something wrong with the field and we couldn’t use it so had to march in the parking lot (dodging light poles)…it also rained so almost no one was there…and I don’t recall finals which I’m sure we would have made….I was confused about it at the time and am less clear on it now…but it was a parking lot show in the afternoon during rain

Sorry Matt, we can debate who has the biggest "state birds"...it'll be hopeless..they're both nasty. :smile:

Actually, I think Louisiana has BOTH of you beat :cool:

Sure, they call the Pelican their state bird, but that's only because large-billed waterfowl are more marketable than tiny bloodsucking parasites.

Bad: West Covina HS 2003...the idea of mowing the grass didn't occur to the groundskeepers. i remember entering the field and thinking "Man...I'm glad I'm the DM and don't have to actually march through this crap."

I think that thought actually goes like "I'm glad I'm the DM and don't have to actually march through this crap- and then can ##### everybody out at practice tomorrow because their toes weren't high enough at the last show :smile:"

I think that thought actually goes like "I'm glad I'm the DM and don't have to actually march through this crap- and then can ##### everybody out at practice tomorrow because their toes weren't high enough at the last show :smile: "

Dude....they could've cranked their toes to their KNEES and I wouldn't've been able to see them!

It was so bad, a machete was almost required gear!!

Worst: The horse track at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield. You had to take quarter steps for all movement so we could squeeze our show in from front to back of the field. AND, it was all dirt.

Been there, done that, but don't forget the flies

( of course I'm talking early-mid 70's)

and lets not forget the baseball stadium in Ft. Meyers in 72 where the front sideline was drawn using 1st & 3rd base and the 50 went over the pitchers mound.