Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love reading nonsense like this... it's but one of the things that makes this place so special. Did it ever occur to you that in order for OC corps to get paid, they'd have to actually sell tickets to cover the cost of paying themselves?

Really? And when events include some open-class and some world-class, how do you determine how many of the tickets sold "belong" to each corps?

In my opinion, the majority of the Open Class corps that have failed in the past 5 years would have failed even with a higher show payout structure. Throwing money at poorly managed corps (DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying that every corps that has failed has been poorly managed, just most of them) is NOT a solution. Give me a break.

Oh, well thanks for that disclaimer. I might have gotten the wrong idea, and concluded that you're blaming management for the ills of open-class in general. Oh, wait....

Hang on the buddy boy..... exactly who is doing the paying to the Open Class corps?

Since their shows bring in little to no revenue they EARN virtually nothing.

DCI, aka The World Class Corps, is struggling with their own revenue shortfalls. To provide greater welfare payments to the Open Class is just not something easily done in today's economic climate.

Welfare?

Perhaps you don't understand the history behind the current DCI situation. Once upon a time, this was a free country, and DCI wasn't the only game in town. They wanted to be, however, and approached all the regional circuits and their corps with proposals to unite operations under the DCI banner. Agreements were reached with DCE, DCW and (arguably) DCM to do this. As part of these changes, top corps wanted more of the spotlight for themselves, figuring that even if it meant pushing other corps out of shows, the net result could be beneficial to all. So some non-member corps were expected to make sacrifices, giving up access to critical shows in their own regions, losing not only the appearance fee for that show, but the local exposure that made them marketable entities. The top corps, understanding the damage this would inflict on marketability of non-member corps, agreed to compensate them through maintaining a (dare I say it) "subsidy" to open-class, which for awhile came in the form of making the DCI Championship venue available for their prelims/finals.

Bottom line - the benefit to DCI from giving top corps more exposure was expected to be worth more $$$ than the "subsidy" of open-class would cost. From the financial performance of DCI in the 7-8 years following implementation, I would guess that they were correct.

Now, why do you think that open-class corps making this sacrifice are not "earning" anything? Oh, that's right - because when we segregate these corps into shows of their own, they don't draw as well as the world-class. Duh. I suppose if we split DCI finals in half, and put the 7th-12th place corps in a separate venue across town at the same time the top six perform in Lucas Oil Stadium, they would only draw 10% of the Lucas Oil audience. Should we, then, only pay the 7th-12th place corps 10% of what the top six are paid?

No- the DCI fans are speaking loud and clear. They do not go.

Ever been to Div 2/3 (open class) only show with 50 people in the stands?

How about the Division 3 prelims with like 10????

Um, no. To be honest, I have seen championship week prelim shows start with 35 fans in the stands. Then again, 2008's version was held in Michigan City, where someone decided to market the event....and I saw over 1000 in the stands. Yes, for prelims.

never had any association with Revolution...however i do know how to read a schedule

Oh crap, and you can do 2 + 2 = 4 too.... :thumbup:

That makes ya dangerous at times for some of the topics. :worthy:

Number of WC shows scheduled/Total number of shows (not including Champs)

7th Regiment 3**/9

Citations 0/8

DutchBoy 3/8

Gold 3*/7

Impulse 3*/10

Incognito 4*/9

Legends 7**/13

Les Stentors 2/9

Mystikal 3*/7

Oregon Crusaders 4/9

Racine Scouts 9**/15

Raiders 3**/9

Revolution 9/14

Spartans 4**/9

Spirit of Newark 0**/8

Teal Sound 11/15

Velvet Knights 5*/15

Yamato 3*/10

*Did not count the two SoCal shows in which PC is the only World Class corps performing.

**Did not count Surf's home show

Edited by CasualFan

I love reading nonsense like this... it's but one of the things that makes this place so special. Did it ever occur to you that in order for OC corps to get paid, they'd have to actually sell tickets to cover the cost of paying themselves?

and they could, with better marketing from the corps AND DCI. but since neither really bother, it's a lose-lose

No- the DCI fans are speaking loud and clear. They do not go.

Ever been to Div 2/3 (open class) only show with 50 people in the stands?

How about the Division 3 prelims with like 10????

also went to D2/3 finals in Madison with a nice sized crowd that was very passionate. but then again, the Madison committee marketed the show

and they could, with better marketing from the corps AND DCI. but since neither really bother, it's a lose-lose

You (and others here) make it sound like DCI could wave a magic wand, buy some television or newspaper ads, and a crowd would show up. I say maybe they would. Once. Why once? Because to outsiders, it's boring or cute perhaps, but not all that memorable nor spectacular. It's not all that entertaining, especially at the Open level.

Even the most well-organized show sponsors (like a big band booster group) and the best marketed open shows (like the one near Dayton, OH the last few years) doesn't come anywhere near filling the stands. It's hot. The judging is complicated. No one understands why one group wins over another. The shows are generally pretty boring, and the lower end corps aren't even all that loud. Sure it's fascinating to come once, to support the neighbor's kid who's been selling you entertainment books and candy bars. Beyond that, however, drum corps is a secret society that doesn't do a good job of bringing uninitiated folks into the fold. This isn't DCI's fault. The corps choose their own boring programs and the corps presumably hire the judges to validate what they want judged.

The show you speak of in Madison was different because the parade and "opening ceremonies" led everyone into Camp Randall like the Pied Piper of Hamelin. The world class corps were there, and some of them actually went up into the bleachers to watch. I believe they also gave away a few thousand free tickets to the neighbors to come see what all of the fuss was about. Free tickets are great for getting hineys in seats, but they don't do much for filling the coffers, unless you're the guy selling brats.