Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

Here's what I have seen, over 20 pages of chatter, did we really need that much on this?

Yes, there is a history with this corps, the director and staff and 1000's of kids over the years. They have put out a great program for MANY MANY years. The corps, the people the organization have always been a plus for the activity.

But a few years ago things turned in the wrong direction, it happens, it's how this activity runs sometimes. Blame who you want, but the bottom line always comes down to money.

I personally think enough is enough, let it go. Are you happy now that they are not coming out? I think some are beating a dead horse here and those taking pride in predicting they would fail should be ashamed at some of the things they have said or indicated.

Edited by Marching Mallets

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I have seen, over 20 pages of chatter, did we really need that much on this?

I personally think enough is enough, let it go. Are you happy now that they are not coming out? I think some are beating a dead horse here and those taking pride in predicting they would fail should be ashamed at some of the things they have said or indicated.

If 20 pages of chatter is what happens, its what happens. This is a message board where we are allowed to speak as much as we want. Also, no one knows that the corps isn't coming out. Maybe that's the reason there's so much 'chatter' huh, because everybody is somewhat left in the dark by the situation. No one is rooting for the corps to close up shop, and the members to be homeless, maybe we're just looking for a little honesty out of the administration.

No one is rooting for the corps to close up shop, and the members to be homeless, maybe we're just looking for a little honesty out of the administration.

They were not honest? When you file for bankruptcy, you have to disclose a lot of info. I think many people think there is more to this than what is going on. As for rooting for the corps to close up shop, there are plently that want to see that happen, which again is pretty sad. Let the corps do what they have to do; either close up or re-organize.

They were not honest? When you file for bankruptcy, you have to disclose a lot of info. I think many people think there is more to this than what is going on. As for rooting for the corps to close up shop, there are plently that want to see that happen, which again is pretty sad. Let the corps do what they have to do; either close up or re-organize.

I really don't think that ANYONE wants to see the corps "close up shop". But I do however, think alot of people want to see that the people that are responsible for the damage to the corps, get what they deserve. This is very sad. :blink:

i dont think you see anyone trash talking the Spartans. i think you see much speculation.

This IMO is the cancer killing the Spartans. I am reluctant to 'out' myself as a FMM, but like Sunblock before me (And I know exactly who they are), I feel compelled to share some feelings on the matter. There were a lot of rumors and confusion about last year, at one point we were "supposed to fold" in the middle of tour. Even right before and during tour we recruited in the area, but due to word of mouth and things like the infamous DCP rumor mill, we lost something. There were a number of potential members that heard we were very small and such and that made them quit before giving it a shot. Maybe we would have had a larger hornline or guard, maybe more people would have come out to see us. No one knows, but I can say it felt like someone had stuck a "Kick Me" sign of sorts on the corps' back.

What I do know is that I worked hard and played my heart out. I was fed very well(better then I eat at home or school), was taught well not only musically and visually, but that summer was my first playing brass. Even if things looked wonky from a computer monitor, the season (Note: I joined during pre-tour and don't know how the camps went) was run very well.

I can't say I know everything about the corps this or last year, because I don't. I'm just a kid they gave a horn and I ran with it(Especially through the closer. *rimshot*). One thing I do know is that if the Spartans make it out of this mess, the one thing they don't need is people speculating if they're going to fold, or if they're going to have only 2 horns and a snare drum for membership. Just get excited to see them in June.

I'm sorry, but when you have a corps with the financial and management problems the Spartans apparently have, the DCP rumor mill is the least of your problems.

They were not honest? When you file for bankruptcy, you have to disclose a lot of info.

That's the problem with some organizations, the truth doesn't come out until someone from the outside starts checking things during bankrupty hearings. With the Spartans, how honest managment was in the past (one way or the other) should come out but right now we have no way of knowing.

Also seeing posts from Spartan FMMs that amount to "things would be OK if no one would say anything" or "looked OK from my side". You can be a member of a group and have NO idea what management is doing. Corps in the past have looked good from the member and audience side and suddenly fold. I'm in an non-DC organization now that some of the members think there is money "disappearing". No way to tell from the non-BoD side but have been a member long enough to see suspicious things. Yes that's "speculation" but that's something any BoD has to deal with. IMO, Spartans management is handling things badly with regards to any potential new member. The biggest way to get info to potential members is thru the corps website but nothing is being mentioned about how the corps will try to deal with things. If I was a potential new member or parent, that would turn me off as it appears either the corps is hiding the problems or pretending they do not exist.

And this is coming from someone who WANTS to corps to survive....

Also seeing posts from Spartan FMMs that amount to "things would be OK if no one would say anything" or "looked OK from my side". You can be a member of a group and have NO idea what management is doing.

This is just so true. I marched in Garfield in 1971, and we were 6th or 7th in the entire country at the World Open and VFW Nats...plus we were VERY young as compared to some of the other corps, such as Blue Rock. You would have thought the design/instructional team would have remained intact...but the fired our great percussion guy, George Tuthill, and our brass staff of Frank Dorritie and Larry Schillings were gone as well. It tore the corps apart, esp the drumline where just about everyone quit and went to the Cabs where George was also teaching. We had no idea what happened or why...really to this day I look at that wholesale staff change with regret, as I think if we had held together we would have been a force in 1972, instead of the corps in effect having to start over. Garfield's 1970's history might have been much different than it ended up.

I dont think a bunch of people here are wanting the Spartans to fold. I does no one here any good and takes away from DCI.

But some issue have been raised that you need to look at.

Why wasnt the Directors more forth coming with info? If you here the rumors and they are not true then ya better get out and do some 'splaining.

Some posts on here and on their web site with some information would be helpfull. But it looks like they have ducked and are hiding under a rock. Hate to see this cause every BR ive seen, this has been the case.

Myself and i'm sure many here DO NOT want to see anyone burned and most imporrtantly the kids and parents who are involved here. I hate to think that kids and parent have put in their hard efforts to make this thing a go. With the economy as bad as it is, i dont want to see anyone paying fee's and spending money on something that might be a goner.

Again, if the plan is to field a corps this year then it would be of up most importance to come out in the open, thru their site, DCI, Here and the local media with just what is going on and what the plans are.

I would think that they OWE it to their supporters and followers!!!

If my posting here in anyway does something to put them into BR, im sorry, but it was gonna happen anyway. But if this post helps some KId or Parent from losing their hard earned money than great.

Edited by Mr. D. from da 313