Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

What is "marketed better?"

Oh, a number of things. Off the top of my head, more of the event listings for championship week 1999-2002 included the division II/III events, with less PR material omitting them to focus on only division I. Ideas like the opening ceremonies and I&E exhibitions at II/III finals also gave a greater feeling of inclusion to the II/III events. Of course, having their prelims and finals in the same venue as division I for 2.75 of those 4 years helped too. There were other promotional efforts in play, such as the radio station in Madison that actively promoted the II/III events.

I think you're mis-characterizing this a bit, with your "comandeering" comment, and you're also skewing things with regard to Grand Haven. Looking at the tour the past few years, it doesn't seem like it would have made sense for the OC corps to convene in Arkansas. Since the OC corps did help to create a market there, it makes good sense to me that DCI would continue to service that area. It's a great facility and the crowd is excited. I've been to every "Battle on the Border" that they've held there.

Maybe I'm wrong on that one. I was told the open-class still planned to go there, but had it taken away by world-class. It wouldn't have been as convenient a location for the 2008 tour, though....so perhaps my source was off base.

I used to go to the Grand Haven show, and you are correct. The bleachers were overflowing. What you failed to point out, however, is that the total capacity of those bleachers was a few hundred people.

To be more precise, 1800. At least, that's what the show sponsor told me.

I remember Madison doing that "back in the day" to support Capital Sound.

IMHO, would be wonderful if the World Class directors would bring their support to the OC championships, for many reasons.

I recall both Madison and Colts going in the stands at DCM prelims to cheer their feeder corps on. Class acts!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So anyway, please take this subject to a new thread.

On the subject of the Spartans, I've been monitoring my Google news feeds and the Spartans website and will post new information from either the Nashua news rag or their site as it becomes available.

All right, let's get this back onto the topic of Spartans. I've noticed we haven't had any current members saying anything; not incredibly surprising, but at the same time it's certainly a change from type. Is there any new information out there, especially in light of the story that they had another camp?

I wouldn't say it's a change from anything, as Spartans have never allowed current members to post on DCP. I wouldn't expect an outright answer from any member of Spartans, any "breaking news" from the corps directly would be through a secondary source.

well that's not really too surprising because a lot of corps have that same policy, including every one i've marched/worked with. there was a post a while ago on here from someone who indicated a members only portion of their website, so presumably this person was a marching member, but you'd have to go back through the first couple of pages to find it to see how long since that person posted.

This is so dissappointing to see what is happening to the corps. I have other thoughts and feelings about this situation and the corps, but none of them will be constructive, so I will keep them to myself. I really hope they get things worked out in a positive way for the kids. I have a 14 year old son who plays trumpet, and he is very good for his age, who wanted to join the corps this year. I am holding him out for now, and may go in anotther corps direction soon.

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

...I have a 14 year old son who plays trumpet, and he is very good for his age, who wanted to join the corps this year. I am holding him out for now, and may go in anotther corps direction soon.

I'm conflicted. As of right now, all we know is what's been released in the Telegraph and other State agency sites. While this information is probably all true, I'd like to hope the corps "has something up it's sleeve" to get out of the mess. We really have no idea whether or not they expected this and how long they've been preparing, and it's sad to see at least one young person missing out on a particular drum corps experience because of what's been "heard."

I'm waiting for a statement from the corps before I consider the effort moot, but there's something to be said about the kids and parents still involved. I'm pretty sure they're not being deceived (why? there's enough intelligent parents and members who know what questions to ask after coming across the information we have), so it makes me wonder exactly what answers they've got that hasn't made them bolt for the door.

Again, I HOPE there's something in the mix no one knows about.

I think many of us watching this develop have the same hope.

Who knows what might develop beyond all that we've read.

It's been such a solid organization for so many years, I think we all need to sit back and support the Spartans no matter what happens.