How important is the theme...

How many of you really put that much energy into thinking about a shows theme while you're watching a performance? For me one of two things usually happens. I'm either bored by a show or I'm wowed by it, but in the end if the music and visuals happening on the field did if for me I could care less how well some "theme" was communicated. Likewise, if a theme is drilled through my forhead with a jackhammer, but the music and visuals are lacking, I consider it a bust of a show.

Rant.....off.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you really put that much energy into thinking about a shows theme while you're watching a performance? For me one of two things usually happens. I'm either bored by a show or I'm wowed by it, but in the end if the music and visuals happening on the field did if for me I could care less how well some "theme" was communicated. Likewise, if a theme is drilled through my forhead with a jackhammer, but the music and visuals are lacking, I consider it a bust of a show.

Rant.....off.

You may not think the theme is important, but I do. All corps don't need to have a theme, but for those who choose to, I think it adds a little variety to the types of shows we watch. Case in point. Phantom's show. Excellent theme and the show came across quite well.

nobody really gives a rat's a- -

23h6j45.jpg

Theme works well in tying together music that wouldn't necessarily go together . . .Cadets 2005, anyone?

However, it's not the end-all, be-all that everyone should feel a requirement to do just to get the judges on board at critique as it seems it kinda is now . . . after all, Bluecoats 1987 is just as entertaining as Bluecoats 2007, theme or not. :thumbup:

IMO I like balence between everything, l agree with Bozzly if a theme is the only thing u feel its failed but if i just hear the music its failed, visuals as much as i wanna say they are cool it fails...but if they are balenced and presented well its a great show that has the whole puzzle not just two pieces

Every drum corps audience HATES themes.

Unless they're Phantom of the Opera. Or Spartacus.

Or Winged Victory, or Faust, or Machine, or The Zone, or 007, or Finis, or Triple Crown, or Kar-ne-vel, or Drum Corps Fan's Dream, or Frameworks, or Godfather Part BLUE, or A Defiant Heart, or My Spanish Heart, or The Planets...

Is there some definition of theme that I'm missing out on? Any show that has a unifying concept to its music (seemingly any show since around 1989) has a theme.

(If your post was sarcasm, then nevermind, I agree. But it's a little cryptic.)