The REAL unsung heros of drum corps

I would like to add a tribute to 5 guys that brought me my beginnings to drum corps. They are Ben Van Kurin Sr, Richard Van Kurin Sr, Eldee Andrews, John Root, and Frank Smith. Ben, Eldee and I believe Frank are all deceased but John and Richard are till living. Each of these 5 guys threw in $200 in 1963 and started the Barons of Steuben and until 1984 the Barons continued to be a source of joy and excitment for me and lots of other kids. While we were never "Top Twelve" these guys are well within my top Twelve. Thanks guys.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Karen and Tom!!! Forty years is certainly a landmark, but it's around now that you really relax and begin to have some fun.

It's been forty-five for Cynthia and I, but like so many others here, we met in drum corps - so she understands.

Andy

She must not only "understand", but be a Saint, to let you spend $8k+ a year to stand in a corner...

Heh...

Congrats Tom and Karen.....I wish you 40+++++++++ more wonderful years together, no matter where your travels take you!!!!

All my best,

Always supportive - a wonderful mother and the perfect grandmother...

Tom, Congrats on reaching that milestone in your life (drum corps and otherwise...........although there's not much else is there?)

My wife and I also reached this milestone last Sept. and we're in the same stage (grandparents etc) I'm sure you have thousands of stories to go with those 40 yrs. I can certainly echo your comments about how 'she should have asked me to get out of drum corps'. I'll give you one short story.........our first date, I asked Laura to go to a drum corps show with me at Varsity Stadium in Toronto. It was not DCI North but nonetheless a big junior international show (Madison, 27th et al). I was so nervous that I didn't think twice when I picked her up and she was absolutely radiant in a white dress and heels! To sit in the bench seats of the stadium with everyone else in jeans and T-shirts. Just a little over-dressed! She reminds me of this once and a while. Like I said, I'm sure you have lots to those stories as well...........and since you're still together............it was worth it, right?

Gord Moffatt

She must not only "understand", but be a Saint, to let you spend $8k+ a year to stand in a corner...

Heh...

Oh, she's a saint; that's for sure. But she's been telling me to go stand in the corner for years, only now she has the added benefit of my having to pay for the privilege.

Congrats Tom and Karen!! :thumbup:

Here' s to the next 40! :rolleyes:

Tony ;-)

(38 this year for Donna and I)

From Ed & I (5 years) -

Happy Anniversary, Tom & Karen! And what a wonderful husband to remember and appreciate the invaluable service our spouses provide - love and support!

Best...

Mav

From Ed & I (5 years) -

Happy Anniversary, Tom & Karen! And what a wonderful husband to remember and appreciate the invaluable service our spouses provide - love and support!

Best...

Mav

What Mav said!

My first marriage of almost 20 years was a "mixed" one - she *hated* drum corps!

(She basically forced me out of the activity...)

Nanci and I have been together about 15 years now (please kill me), and what a difference! I can actually play a drum corps DVD or crank up Diceman Radio without having to deal with "the look"...

Heh...

So Tom, and the rest of you with understanding spouses, count your blessings...

What Mav said!

My first marriage of almost 20 years was a "mixed" one - she *hated* drum corps!

(She basically forced me out of the activity...)

Nanci and I have been together about 15 years now (please kill me), and what a difference! I can actually play a drum corps DVD or crank up Diceman Radio without having to deal with "the look"...

Heh...

So Tom, and the rest of you with understanding spouses, count your blessings...

And you said Cynthia is a saint... You, sir, are the saint! If you have to be with Nanci for fifteen years, you deserve to play a drum corps DVD (LOUD) or crank up Diceman Radio (EVEN LOUDER) - just to drown her out.

All the required insults aside, though, we're all pretty lucky, aren't we.

Andy

Let's clear up one thing right now... and I honestly don't remember...

Did I introduce you and Nanci?