The End to the Color Guard Controversy

Notice, Geoffrey, how Lisa 'splains things to you, but she doesn't give ME any feedback...........

b**bs

Keep your pants on , man, I'll get to you...

sheesh.

No Rob, I don't lump you in with all the other old school guys.

Geezy Creezy ($1 to randy)

I'd like to re-nominate me as the most misunderstood woman in all of the U.S of A.

b**bs

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Rob, I don't lump you in with all the other old school guys.

Geezy Creezy ($1 to randy)

I'd like to re-nominate me as the most misunderstood woman in all of the U.S of A.

b**bs

LOL..and "whew" ...I knew we were on the same page somewhere !!!

~G~

I'm kinda relieved too, G!

........as I get my walker out and struggle to the bathroom............

:whip:

Don't forget the ginko old guy...

b**bs

Of course that was said with much respect and admiration.... I've always been taught to mind my elders.....

........"I like old things....I collect antiques" <Winonna Ryder in "Autumn in New YOrk>

allright....I'm gonna get my arse kicked for that one....

You know, I don't think my issue is really dance or old school versus new school. I think it is the lack of balance between dance and equipment, and the level of skill and cleanliness to pull it all off well. It is what is visibile upstairs, to what is done is as fluff. And I truely do not dismiss all of todays colorguard as non talented. Just not as uniform, clean and precise as the old.

Another peeve is that lack of "character" between guard. Someone here said that old school guard looked the same. Everyone doing the same thing. I think that arguement could be made for today also. Everyone seems to be doing ballet, and that only. I would also beg to differ that all old school guards did the same thing. If you took the periods when I marched(79-86) there was a huge difference between very clean and safe guards that did easy books(BD and SCV) guards that did harder books very clean(27th and Madison) guards that liked doing alot of tricks and tosses(Cavaliers, skyriyders, phantom,guardsman) guards that moved alot(phantom, Spirit of Atlanta, Suncoast sound) guards that were funny and entertaining(Bridgemen, Velvet Knights) and I could go on. I just don't see that much variety in terms of style, and it doesn't seem like the current environment encourages it. There should be enough room so that guards of all styles that do varying degrees of whatever(more dance less equipment, non dance more equipment, or some balance between the two)PRECISCE, CLEAN, with the maximum visual punch. This way a guard that might be better at equipment handling and not at dance can get scored the same as a guard that dances well but does less equipment work.

Do I want to see colorguard go back to military style, nope. Would I like to see room for more types of styles, absolutely yes. If there is any resemblance to old that I would like to see the colorguard of today do, that would be,the precision, cleanliness, the unison, and the variety of styles that the old guards had. Dance or no dance. Even I realize that everything MUST change to survive. However even too much change has its dangers. Precision, clean, balance.

Another peeve is that lack of "character" between guard. Someone here said that old school guard looked the same. Everyone doing the same thing. I think that arguement could be made for today also. Everyone seems to be doing ballet, and that only. I would also beg to differ that all old school guards did the same thing. If you took the periods when I marched(79-86) there was a huge difference between very clean and safe guards that did easy books(BD and SCV) guards that did harder books very clean(27th and Madison) guards that liked doing alot of tricks and tosses(Cavaliers, skyriyders, phantom,guardsman) guards that moved alot(phantom, Spirit of Atlanta, Suncoast sound) guards that were funny and entertaining(Bridgemen, Velvet Knights) and I could go on. I just don't see that much variety in terms of style, and it doesn't seem like the current environment encourages it. There should be enough room so that guards of all styles that do varying degrees of whatever(more dance less equipment, non dance more equipment, or some balance between the two)PRECISCE, CLEAN, with the maximum visual punch. This way a guard that might be better at equipment handling and not at dance can get scored the same as a guard that dances well but does less equipment work.

Brilliant, observant, and right on the money !!!

~G~

.......waking up and stumbling to the computer with a "morning after" beer buzz...............

what I see in this thread is a wonderful thing - everyone here LOVES drum corps, and everyone here has a different perspective, but what keeps us all together is our desire to MAKE DRUM CORPS (and guard in this thread!) BETTER!

Let's always keep this in mind as we air our differences!!

"in the day, you had to be clean, you ad to be in unison, you had to sell your show withy our talent...not your leaping, pirouetting and your expressions..."

I guess dancing and performing aren't  "talent".

I was gonna end posting about this, as I think it's kind of silly. But I have changed my mind.

You people come on here acting like you know everything about colorguard, you try and say that the majority of people want colorguard to go back to what it was, etc etc.

Let's face the facts the majority of people @ WGI shows like guard as it is right now or else they wouldn't be there,cheering and giving standing O's to guards.  How many of you went to WGI this year? Last year? 2001?

I *know* given the choice of wearing a "uniform" and standing and doing basics for a show that almost every guard member right now would choose modern colorguard.  Cause guess what...we like what we do or else we wouldn't be giving up all of our free time to rehearse and we sure as heck wouldn't be spending our money on it.

If you really hate what we are doing out there, don't come and watch us. We want people who support WGI and DCI to come cheer us on ,not sit and moan about how much we suck.

Okay, now I'm ticked. :whip:

:::deep breath:::

NEVER, EVER in ANY of my posts did I say "you suck". YOUR words, not mine.

NEVER, EVER in ANY of my posts did I say that guards today didn't have "talent". YOUR words, not mine.

Members today DO have talent...dance and expressive talent...loads of it...and I admire the time and effort it's taken to hone that talent. Members today know what they know...they've never been exposed to "old stuff". I'll bet you $20.00 that if you took the 1980 DVD to your guard rehearsal, sat the members in front of the monitor and had them watch 27th Lancers (without giving YOUR opinion about what they were about to watch), they'd go absolutely wild and immediately want to try some of what they saw.

NEVER, EVER in ANY of my posts did I say I knew everything about guard. YOUR words, not mine.

What I CAN say is that I know a heck of alot about COLOR GUARD.

NEVER, EVER in ANY of my posts did I say I wanted guards to go back to marking time in place and spinning. YOUR words, not mine.

Marching drill on the floor while executing equipment work is what should be happening. Just drill, music and equipment work...that's all you need...that's all there should be.

You like what you do currently because you've never tried it the other way...the "old way" as you call it. I can say that I've taught winter guard and judged winter guard and watched winter guard, so I'm very well versed on what the current trends are. And I don't like what I see: too much emphasis on everything EXCEPT the equipment work. Makes me wonder if the choreographer is inwardly thinking, "well, we're a bit weak on equipment work, so we'll beef up the dance, add lots of nonsensical props and swath the members in outlandish costumes...maybe that'll distract the judges."

I DO watch DCI and WGI (although WAY less WGI within the past few years because it's gotten too excessive) because I genuinely like guard and music. I'm hoping that some common sense will kick in along the line and reign in the excesses that are rampant.

With all of the money spent on props, tarps and costumes, plus practice equipment and warm-ups, footwear, etc., it's gotta be expensive to march in the guard, isn't it? Why should it be this way, when it doesn't NEED to be this way?

That's what *I'm* saying. And those are my words.

Well, I have no problem with someone stating an opinion, but when you state a "FACT" it had better be true.

#1. I've taught about 100 color guards over the last 12 years. prolly 50/50 my own guards and guard that I've cliniced with. Especially the guards that were my own, they were definitely exposed to ALL eras of drum corps. So there goes this "fact":

Members today know what they know...they've never been exposed to "old stuff".
I'll bet you $20.00 that if you took the 1980 DVD to your guard rehearsal, sat the members in front of the monitor and had them watch 27th Lancers (without giving YOUR opinion about what they were about to watch), they'd go absolutely wild and immediately want to try some of what they saw.

I'll guarantee you my next year's salary that if you took 100 guard members from all accross the country between the ages of 16 and 22 and without any preamble, without any commentary, showed them two videos, Santa Clara Vanguard 1976 and Santa Clara Vanguard 2003 and said they absolutely could do either one of these shows, they just need to vote on which one they wanted to do.....I guarantee you, you'll find 2 or 3 that want to do 1976. I can also guarantee you that if you showed them and extrememly clean guard from 2003 and a guard that was frenetic and crazy looking and spinning everything including the kitchen sink, they'd choose the clean guard. But I'm just basing that opinion on the *few* of today's kids that I've worked with. <_<

You like what you do currently because you've never tried it the other way...the "old way" as you call it.
and what about those of us that have PERFORMED in both styles? (Myself included)
Makes me wonder if the choreographer is inwardly thinking, "well, we're a bit weak on equipment work, so we'll beef up the dance, add lots of nonsensical props and swath the members in outlandish costumes...maybe that'll distract the judges." 

From this sentance on, you can I could share a few drinks ( or cofee...whichever) and laugh in total agreement. However, I believe it is possible to spin commas and be clean. And I never ever ever want to return to a day with the 90 lb wool potato sack known as the color guard uniform. Ugh.

BTW: None of the winterguards I've ever taught ever had to spend more than $50 on costumes, flags and footwear all put together for the winter guard season. I'm just frugal that way... :P

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa