What Happened to All of Those Scores?

H. Worth Ake's files have been researched in the years since his death, and all of his records have been preserved.

I am still pondering what we will do with our files. There may be future projects where the entire archive could be viewed by anyone who cares to see it.

Hi Brian ... that's good to know ... I know that you helped a great deal (through Cliff Richmond) in filling the blanks with Bpt. PAL and Skyliner scores ... it would be great to have a visual national archive ...

Andy

It takes literally decades to assemble drum corps contest scores. Drum corps was never very good at preserving its own history. The activity was way too big for decades. It's only been since the early 1980s (when the activity started shrinking enough to have its data managed) that complete yearly data exists.

As I've said many times before....there is no single place you can find this information, and probably never will be.

My files have 20 scores for the L.I. Kingsmen in 1978, and 21 in 1979.

Brian;

I would love to see those archives you have. I have access to several high-speed scanners that can convert any legible documents into .pdf, .jpg, .gif, etc. If I can be of any help, please email me at SPAMdborden1@cox.net. (Remove the SPAM).

Thanks.

I was looking through the corpsreps site the other day and was wondering what ever happened to all the scores from the non-DCI shows in the 70's and 80's? I used my corps as an example. For 1978, they only have scores for us in 4 shows. I know that we competed in at least 20 shows that year. Same goes for 1979, where they have scores for 9 shows, but we did at least 20, probably more like 25. Does anybody have an archive of scores from circuits such as DCE (UOEC), Garden States, Eastern States, etc.? Or did those just get thrown away when the circuits went defunct. I think it would be awesome if people could rummage through their old programs and stuff and see how many more shows we could post scores for that are not listed on corpsreps.

Dave - This has been a pet peeve of mine for years. As a pre-DCI, pre 1970, prehistoric marcher from way back I should be ashamed of my own self for not preserving even the scores from my own corps!? We were so "In the Minute!"

Yeah we took a lot of pictures, which I have tried to share, some alumni have even created a pretty darn good website but we have pretty much all been guilty of thinking someone else was doing it - I admit it.

Puppet

I too wished that I would have gotten more pictures and kept scores, etc. I have some pics somewhere at my parents house, of me inthe Royal Coachmen when I was 10 or 11. I'll find them some day.

Dave - This has been a pet peeve of mine for years. As a pre-DCI, pre 1970, prehistoric marcher from way back I should be ashamed of my own self for not preserving even the scores from my own corps!? We were so "In the Minute!"

Yeah we took a lot of pictures, which I have tried to share, some alumni have even created a pretty darn good website but we have pretty much all been guilty of thinking someone else was doing it - I admit it.

Puppet

Puppet

Fret not Puppet ... it is possible!!! ... but ... it takes a lot of dectective work, e-mails and phone calls ... as part of the Bpt PAL's reunion in 2003, we were able to find 95% of the show scores from 1959-1968 ... believe it or not the list is almost complete ... we're still missing a few from the early years (59, 60) and the final year 1968 ... check out our website at www.bptpalcadets.org and follow the Titles/Scores thread ... many scrores include St. Joe's Patron from 64-67 ... that should get you started!!

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

Puppet

Heck, I don't even recall carrying a camera around, let alone keeping track of scores.

My folks took color slides, mostly of the two small corps in my home town. I have to go through them at some point to see what there is. They took very few photographs. My dad was a big "slides guy", having been in a camera club back around 1950.

Every so often at family events he'd trot out the screen and slide projector and inflict...er...bless everyone with a slide show of us kiddies growing up.

Heck, I don't even recall carrying a camera around, let alone keeping track of scores.

My folks took color slides, mostly of the two small corps in my home town. I have to go through them at some point to see what there is. They took very few photographs. My dad was a big "slides guy", having been in a camera club back around 1950.

Every so often at family events he'd trot out the screen and slide projector and inflict...er...bless everyone with a slide show of us kiddies growing up.

I taped an instamatic camera ( transparency film - slides ) above the valve on my contrabass and photographed Washington DC while marching in the legion parade in 1966.

other corps were confused when i stood in front of them with a sideways horn ( photo vantagepoint )

great moment for me was being across the street from the Hurricanes at the staging area and listening to that hornline from point-blank range!

• 3 weeks later...

I sure wouldn't mind going through the file cabinets at DCW. Talking my wife into spending our vacations archiving drum corps scores would be the hard part!

Garry in Vegas

PS Hey, Andy!