Do we need a new "Bridgemen" or "Velvet Knights" t

Do We need a new "FUN" corps in DCI?  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Do We need a new "FUN" corps in DCI?

• YES
    • NO

But we want World Class top 3 VELVET KNIGHTS!! AND BRIDGEMEN!!!

But what have you or even I for that matter done to get them there? Easy to talk about it in a forum, yet, we have that corps so many of us loved available, but what are we doing to help them get to where we'd all love to see them?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what have you or even I for that matter done to get them there? Easy to talk about it in a forum, yet, we have that corps so many of us loved available, but what are we doing to help them get to where we'd all love to see them?

mymedalsa.jpg85shoea.jpg

I could go on, and on, and on....

For the life of me, I've never understood the position which claims that antics such as a shark eating a singing fat lady or Pee Wee Herman riding a bike across the field are considered "necessary" or at the least are dearly missed, while also claiming that recent rule changes (yes, such as amplification and electronics, but also even the switch to Bb horns) are bastardizing the activity. If the sanctity of drum corps has indeed been lost, then the first shots were fired over a generation ago, before I was even born.

Sharks and bikes are part of the visual GE, as flags and weapons are. Amps, mic's, and electronics are NOT acoustic, and the sound is changed. Drum corps was and should always be about the music, and altering the acoustic sound of it IS bastardizing it. (imho...$1 to MikeD)

As far as the Bb horns go, well, I just think it was a cop out by the instructors, but that's my own little opinion...

Check out the average age of DCI corps designers. If their under 35 they probably never saw the 1976 Bridgemen.

Do we need THE Bridgemen or Velvet Knights? No. Do we need A Bridgemen or Velvet Knights? #### yes.

Designers need to stop taking everything so ###### seriously and remember what it is that got them into the activity; Fun, excitement, loud noises, shiny things, and a bit of showing off.

Last time I check there are two corps called Velvet Knights and Bridgemen... Why bring the new when you have those two groups?

The IRS prevents the Velvet Knights from hitting the field. We do now have VK, an open class corps that has risen from the ashes of the Velvet Knight. The Bridgemen exist as an alumni corps that performs at DCA events and has performed at Allentown and the Surf show (as far as I can tell). Neither corps currently competes in DCI World Class .

YES, we do need a new fun corps in World Class. Hopefully the Jersey Surf will bring there own style of comedy to Worlds that will pay tribute to the fun guys of yesteryear.

Sharks and bikes are part of the visual GE, as flags and weapons are. Amps, mic's, and electronics are NOT acoustic, and the sound is changed. Drum corps was and should always be about the music, and altering the acoustic sound of it IS bastardizing it. (imho...$1 to MikeD)

A lot of people think that sharks and witches and godzilla are props and gimmicks, and shouldnt be a part of drum corps. They are NOT traditional colorguard materials, and the visual is changed. A lot of people would think those things were bastardizing the activity.

BTW....i love sharks and witches and fat lady's. I also realize those things were fairly well accepted at the time (much better than narration), and more importantly, they were freakin hilarious. That said, im just trying to point out the problems with using a justification that a certain thing 'alters' the activity is somewhat silly, given the number of things that have 'altered' the activity over the years. The fact is, if the rules allow it, its ok. You dont have to like it, in fact i dislike about 90% of narration and singing that I've ever heard in drum corps...not because its not drum corps...just because that particular moment doesnt appeal to me.

The IRS prevents the Velvet Knights from hitting the field. We do now have VK, an open class corps that has risen from the ashes of the Velvet Knight.

Their website would seem to disagree with you.

Most definitely. I believe drum corps should be entertaining as well as competitive. A drum corps like Bridgemen and Velvet Knights would fit that need.